Slavery reparations?

Are you for or against slavery reparations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No you tried to do that. I used it as a precedent for righting a wrong. Where did I say it was the same thing? You are confused again moron.

Now you resort to lying? You're the one that brought up Japanese internment camps you lying puke!

Slavery wasn't legally wrong you stupid fuck. Morally yes, legally no. You can't sue on the basis of morality and you can't prove a crime was committed so you have no case. All you have is the argument and that gets you nowhere.

No you are lying. I brought them up as a precedent. I never said they were the same thing. You tried to make that argument, failed, and proved how stupid you are. Sorry clown.

But it's not a precedent you idiot. It had nothing to do with slavery or even close.

prec·e·dent
noun
noun: precedent; plural noun: precedents
/ˈpresid(ə)nt/
1. an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.

The two events aren't similar under any circumstance.

Now you resort to lying? You're the one that brought up Japanese internment camps you lying puke!

Slavery wasn't legally wrong you stupid fuck. Morally yes, legally no. You can't sue on the basis of morality and you can't prove a crime was committed so you have no case. All you have is the argument and that gets you nowhere.

No you are lying. I brought them up as a precedent. I never said they were the same thing. You tried to make that argument, failed, and proved how stupid you are. Sorry clown.

But it's not a precedent you idiot. It had nothing to do with slavery or even close.

prec·e·dent
noun
/ˈpresid(ə)nt/
1. an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.

You have a hard time with comprehension dont you? :lol:

You dont have enough money on your own. It would come out of your tax dollars.

Yeah, I know. And it is morons like delt4, that think we should pay for all of eternity, even though we did not do the enslaving

No one should pay for eternity. Pay what you (the US) owes based on the 40 acres and a mule promise and move on. Isnt that what people say about Blacks and slavery?

No such promise was made.

Facts are a bitch.

prec·e·dent
noun
/ˈpresid(ə)nt/

You have a hard time with comprehension dont you? :lol:

No, but you obviously have a hard time with words and their definitions.

If these supposed reparations were to go to the heirs of slaves (none of the damaged parties still being alive) it would prove problematic to say the least to identify exactly who constitutes said heirs. Surely no direct offspring of the former slaves are still living, and those who might claim some degree of relation would be great in number indeed. Even very generous reparations would amount to a pittance once fully distributed to all those with a claim, and would of course include many people who are not 'black.'

Then there is the question of fairness in using federal resources that rightly belong as well to Americans whose families - like mine - were nowhere near America during slavery or even long after.

Immediately after the ratification of the 13th Amendment it would have been a good idea, but it seems too much time has passed for it to be a practical consideration at this point.

yeap he was a racist.

our society has grown.

well except for you and your racist buddies

Jefferson was no such thing! Slaves were commonplace, but was it right? No, but, at the time, they fought for slave rights, but, as little know, that is looked over

Yeah, I know. And it is morons like delt4, that think we should pay for all of eternity, even though we did not do the enslaving

No one should pay for eternity. Pay what you (the US) owes based on the 40 acres and a mule promise and move on. Isnt that what people say about Blacks and slavery?

Facts are a bitch.

Yes it was though. See Sherman's Special Field Orders, No. 15

Sherman's Special Field Orders, No. 15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The orders were issued following Sherman's March to the Sea. They were intended to address the immediate problem of dealing with the tens of thousands of black refugees who had joined Sherman's march in search of protection and sustenance, and "to assure the harmony of action in the area of operations".

Facts are a bitch.

The orders were issued following Sherman's March to the Sea. They were intended to address the immediate problem of dealing with the tens of thousands of black refugees who had joined Sherman's march in search of protection and sustenance, and "to assure the harmony of action in the area of operations".

For the fifth time... He didn't have the authority to issue an order like this and Pres. Johnson revoked it. Also, it wasn't supposed to be permanent;

A letter from Sherman;
The Hon. E. M. Stanton, Secretary of War, came to Savannah soon after its occupation by the forces under my command, and conferred freely with me as to the best methods to provide for the vast number of negroes who had followed the army from the interior of Georgia, as also for those who had already congregated on the islands near Hilton Head, and were still coming into our lines. We agreed perfectly that the young and able-bodied men should be enlisted as soldiers, or employed by the Quartermaster in the necessary work of unloading ships, and for other army purposes. But this left on our hands the old and feeble, the women and children, who had necessarily to be fed by the United States. Mr. Stanton summoned a large number of the old negroes mostly preachers with whom he had long conference, of which he took down notes. After the conference he was satisfied the negroes could, with some little aid from the United States, by means of the abandoned plantations on the Sea Islands and along the navigable waters take care of themselves. He requested me to draw up a plan that would be uniform and practicable. I made the rough draft and we went over it very carefully. Mr. Stanton making many changes, and the present Orders No. 15 resulted and were made public.

I know of course we could not convey title to land and merely provided “possessory” titles to be good so long as war and military power lasted. I merely aimed to make provision for the negroes who were absolutely dependent on us, leaving the value of their possessions to be determined by after events or legislation.

At that time, January, 1865, it will be remembered that the tone of the people of the South was very defiant, and no one could foretell when the period of war would cease. Therefore I did not contemplate that event as being so near at hand.
Forty Acres and a Mule | Teachinghistory.org

Gen. Sherman didn't do this to help but to rid himself of those who couldn't fight.

Facts are a bitch.

For the fifth time... He didn't have the authority to issue an order like this and Pres. Johnson revoked it. Also, it wasn't supposed to be permanent;

A letter from Sherman;
The Hon. E. M. Stanton, Secretary of War, came to Savannah soon after its occupation by the forces under my command, and conferred freely with me as to the best methods to provide for the vast number of negroes who had followed the army from the interior of Georgia, as also for those who had already congregated on the islands near Hilton Head, and were still coming into our lines. We agreed perfectly that the young and able-bodied men should be enlisted as soldiers, or employed by the Quartermaster in the necessary work of unloading ships, and for other army purposes. But this left on our hands the old and feeble, the women and children, who had necessarily to be fed by the United States. Mr. Stanton summoned a large number of the old negroes mostly preachers with whom he had long conference, of which he took down notes. After the conference he was satisfied the negroes could, with some little aid from the United States, by means of the abandoned plantations on the Sea Islands and along the navigable waters take care of themselves. He requested me to draw up a plan that would be uniform and practicable. I made the rough draft and we went over it very carefully. Mr. Stanton making many changes, and the present Orders No. 15 resulted and were made public.

I know of course we could not convey title to land and merely provided “possessory” titles to be good so long as war and military power lasted. I merely aimed to make provision for the negroes who were absolutely dependent on us, leaving the value of their possessions to be determined by after events or legislation.

At that time, January, 1865, it will be remembered that the tone of the people of the South was very defiant, and no one could foretell when the period of war would cease. Therefore I did not contemplate that event as being so near at hand.
Forty Acres and a Mule | Teachinghistory.org

Gen. Sherman didn't do this to help but to rid himself of those who couldn't fight.

I dont care what his intentions were or if he was authorized. Thats the problem of the US government. He made the promise and I am saying reparations should be paid bases off that promise. Its really not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

Last edited:

Facts are a bitch.

A field order isn't a promise. Here we go again with you no knowing the meanings of words.

The field order was rescinded by the President Andrew Johnson. And there was no mention of a mule in that field order.

Shouldn't the French be paying reparations to the families from whom they stole slaves?

Wait..they already did.

So...we are supposed to pay again for the slaves that were already paid for?

This is so confusing.

Do we have to pay for them every year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back