Slate Asks the Right Question

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    but suggesting the Republicans will choose the wrong answer:

Print Story: Analysis: Will a Republican Congress follow Tea Party ideas or move to the center? - Yahoo! News

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Is there really any difference bwtween what the TEA PARTY wants and the RNC wants?

What is the difference, exactly?

I don't see any.

3. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    The House and Senate are not the presidency. So the comparison is flawed from the get go.

If the GOP does anything other than oppose the Obama agenda wholesale they will find themselves in the dustheap of history. They got elected precisely to oppose and defeat the Democratic agenda. If they compromise on it, they are toast. This is their mandate.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,070
    Thanks for posting this article. A perfect example of lib think. Reagan had a Democrat Congress and Senate and to accomplish anything he had to make compromises.

Bush on the other hand (although I was seriously disappointed that he did not exercise more vetoes) had no option but to expand government spending when faced with 9/11 and the necessary retributions in the middle east aka war on terror.

And what was Bush to do? Not spend Federal money to help New York City and New Orleans rebuild after both major centers had been crushed by two very different catastrophes, but both needed serious monies nonetheless.

To think that Bush was "humoring the base" while letting government expand to handle these extraordinary situations of a terror attack on American soil and a Hurricane of epic proportions is to fail miserably in understanding how George W. had to deal with these issues.

Where the author of this piece really fails to get it, is this election is about the House and the Senate. These newly elected members are being sent to Washington with a full understanding that they are freaking toast if they play nice in the sandbox with the left wing loons on Capitol Hill.

It just shows the left still doesn't get it. They still think it's all a game. The way they play their base.

5. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    That is what the Republicans have been doing the last 2 years, they call it insurgency. So there is no such thing as a loyal opposition anymore. It doesn't matter who the American people elect, or what they want, it will be the right's way or no way. But Democrats are the nazis/commies/totalitarians.

Insurgency

Friday, February 6, 2009

Texas Republican Congressman Pete Sessions compares GOP strategy to Taliban insurgency

[​IMG]

"Insurgency, we understand perhaps a little bit more because of the Taliban, and that is that they went about systematically understanding how to disrupt and change a person's entire processes. And these Taliban -- I'm not trying to say the Republican Party is the Taliban. No, that's not what we're saying. I'm saying an example of how you go about [sic] is to change a person from their messaging to their operations to their frontline message. And we need to understand that insurgency may be required when the other side, the House leadership, does not follow the same commands, which we entered the game with."

Paragraph from hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com.

http://capitolannex.com/2009/02/05/congressman-pete-sessions-compares-house-republicans-to-taliban/

6. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,070
    No difference between the Tea Party and Rockefeller Republicans aka RINOs?

With all due respect, when did you come out of the coma?

7. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,070
    I think where we are really going to witness some very interesting battles is between the old guard and the young guard.

Boehner is one to watch. I've heard him more than a few times on Billy Cunningham and he really seems to "get it".

The old guard in the Senate like McCain and Graham are going to face a new breed of seriously conservative outside the beltway newcomers all over Capitol Hill.

I think they are going to get the shock of their lives that they will not be able to pull the strings anymore.

It's going to be a Royal Rmble. And I can't wait to see some of those old S>O>B's that played that "Gang of 14" shit get chair shots and Van Daminated in Washington 2011.

8. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    I didnt realize that Pete Sessions represented the whole fo the GOP. News to me.
    In any case, what did the Democrats do when they were in the minority? Do judicial appointments mean anything to you?
    And when the Republic is threatened by the leftist goons that have taken over the Democratic Party and the US government, what else can you do but wage insurgency?

9. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Pete Sessions does pretty much represent the whole GOP. So you learned something today. Senator Jim DeMint said back in July: "If we’re able to stop Obama on this (health care reform) it will be his Waterloo. It will break him." David Frum was fired by the conservative American Enterprise Institute for telling the truth and he even compliments Democrats for being loyal opposition during the debate on Bush's tax cuts: "At the beginning of this process we made a strategic decision: unlike, say, Democrats in 2001 when President Bush proposed his first tax cut, we would make no deal with the administration. No negotiations, no compromise, nothing. We were going for all the marbles. This would be Obama’s Waterloo – just as healthcare was Clinton’s in 1994."

When the Democrats were the minority, they were a loyal opposition. Bush was able to get his judicial appointments. Harriet Miers was opposed by more than just Democrats. Opposition from both sides of the political spectrum led President Bush to withdraw the nomination at Miers' request.

The Republic is NOT threatened by the leftist goons that have taken over the Democratic Party and the US government. I know Fox News and Limbaugh keep feeding you that propaganda 24/7, but saying it over and over does not make it true. I heard a retired CIA agent whose expertise was the old Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries say the propaganda out of Fox news is the same as the propaganda put out by Pravda. The only difference I see is that the Russian people knew Pravda was propaganda. The truth is the Republicans party has reacted to defeat by moving much farther to the right and becoming much more radical.

You right wingers love to accuse liberals and Democrats of wanting to control every aspect of our lives, but when YOU do it, and ignore the will of the people, you twist it into some noble form of patriotism... it's NOT; it is insurgency, a form of terrorism!

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
    Barry Goldwater

10. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    Merely asserting something doesn't make it true. Your post is one big mere assertion. None of it is true. And you smell funny.