Single stack 9mm Glock in 2014?

I've had my second generation Glock 19 since about 1989. It's been a great gun for target shooting and conceal carry but I'm thinking about upgrading (even though I recently bought a Sig Sauer 40Cal.). I'm interested in the Remington R51 as my next conceal carry.

th

Not a Glock fan. They're fine firearms but to me it's like holding a 2 x 4 with a mouse trap attached to it. Hate the ergonomics.

My sentiments exactly. I have had no complaints with the function of every Glock I have fired. But it feels awkward and clunky in my hand. If it were a rifle that felt like that, I might be willing to overlook some of it. After all, most of my rifle fire is very slow and deliberate.

But a defensive handgun needs to feel natural.

Last edited:
I've had my second generation Glock 19 since about 1989. It's been a great gun for target shooting and conceal carry but I'm thinking about upgrading (even though I recently bought a Sig Sauer 40Cal.). I'm interested in the Remington R51 as my next conceal carry.

th

Stay away from the R51. Remington just recalled it.

Rumor of the Day: Remington Has No Fix for Returned R51 Pistols. Yet | The Truth About Guns

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't now that. Not like Remington to make crap (in most cases). You would think that they would have fully tested the pistol long before releasing it in the marketplace. Their reputation will surely be damaged.

Last edited:
It's possible that the babes with tiny hands aren't able to control the recoil from a thick grip double stacker.

I have lots of Glocks and lots of SW M&Ps I have tested both extensively with over 6000 rounds of each in actually competitions. I have shot dozens of GSSF Matches (member of the GSSF 500 club with a 34, a 17 and a 26) and dozens of "Steel matches" with both. based on that I recommend the SW MP as easier to shoot fast and accurately. The trigger reset on the Glock is slightly slower than the MP and at least for me, I can follow up shots with the M&P slightly faster.

One advantage of the GLOCK is when you change out the rear sight (which just about every serious shooter does with Warren/Sevigny or Dawsons) you don't have to worry about that frigging spring and cover shooting out like you do on the SW guns

Not a Glock fan. They're fine firearms but to me it's like holding a 2 x 4 with a mouse trap attached to it. Hate the ergonomics.

I don't currently own a 9mm. Not sure why, given the abundance of ammo on the shelves....
Most of my firearms are C&R, the only 9s I currently own take the short 9 round though I'd love to own a Browning High Power.

Forum List

Back