How I Learned to Love my Glock....... Grip

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I've always wanted a Glock but could never get past their horrid 2x4 grip. Earlier this year I was challenged to "get used to" the grip by using it all the time. Much earlier this year I bought a Glock 23 (40 S&W Gen3) cheap police trade in for $300 out the door. Long story short I used a Dremel to start cutting down the grip especially the finger groove ridges. Unfortunately it didn't work and no I couldn't get used to it. I decided to sell it but put it away for a while first.
I don't know why but a few days ago I pulled it back out and started looking to see if there was more I could do. Sure enough I notice where the real problem areas were, pulled out some 120 grit and started judiciously removing more material at the front corners and under the trigger guard. Sure enough that mostly did the trick. Yes it's still a tad boxy but no where as bad as it was, it's actually comfortable to hold now.

Glock Grip1.jpg

Glock Grip2.jpg

Two things I've always hated about Glocks are the 2x4 grips (which I overcame) but much worse are the Glock fanbois......... So if any are here and don't like what I did I'll provide a mop and pail to take care of the melt...........

Yep, I've done the same to my Glocks.....I believe it's called relieving the trigger guard.
That helps reduce Glock finger, what I did was much more extensive.

Here's what it looked like before I fixed it.

image.jpg

I didn't just remove the finger groove ridges I also took some off the front edges, rounded it a tad more.

I have the same problem with my Glock 42 .380. Replacing the magazine with one with the 'pinky' extension helped some but the main problem was that the gun is 'top heavy'. An extended magazine helps some, but the thing is still clutzy to hold, and I can't use the extended magazine while carrying concealed. I'm looking for a different carry gun. :(

I have the same problem with my Glock 42 .380. Replacing the magazine with one with the 'pinky' extension helped some but the main problem was that the gun is 'top heavy'. An extended magazine helps some, but the thing is still clutzy to hold, and I can't use the extended magazine while carrying concealed. I'm looking for a different carry gun. :(
Probably the most unsung but amazing compacts is the Beretta APX A1 and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

APX_A1_Compact_0009_APX_A1_Compact_2.webp

You can find them as low as $370.

Another I and hundreds of thousands others highly recommend is the Taurus G3c (on sale for as low as $220) or the Gx4 if you prefer no manual safety for around $250. Ignore the Taurus haters, it ain't your father's Taurus..........

Just get a Beretta.
Really? You're gonna go all Beretta fanboi on me now?
I own a Beretta 88 and a Girsan MC 39 the Beretta 92X clone. The clone is about 99% compatible with the Beretta parts/accessories but only cost me $300. The quality is Beretta quality.

Also if you're a Ruger and a 380 fan check out their Security 380. Will most likely need some break in and it would seem their mags can come apart when dropped on hard surfaces.
Honest Outlaw (one of the reviewers I like) did a review of it and mostly liked it.

Also if you're a Ruger and a 380 fan check out their Security 380. Will most likely need some break in and it would seem their mags can come apart when dropped on hard surfaces.
Honest Outlaw (one of the reviewers I like) did a review of it and mostly liked it.

I like the 'light rack' feature. My Glock 42 is very stiff, hard to rack.

I've always wanted a Glock but could never get past their horrid 2x4 grip. Earlier this year I was challenged to "get used to" the grip by using it all the time. Much earlier this year I bought a Glock 23 (40 S&W Gen3) cheap police trade in for $300 out the door. Long story short I used a Dremel to start cutting down the grip especially the finger groove ridges. Unfortunately it didn't work and no I couldn't get used to it. I decided to sell it but put it away for a while first.
I don't know why but a few days ago I pulled it back out and started looking to see if there was more I could do. Sure enough I notice where the real problem areas were, pulled out some 120 grit and started judiciously removing more material at the front corners and under the trigger guard. Sure enough that mostly did the trick. Yes it's still a tad boxy but no where as bad as it was, it's actually comfortable to hold now.

View attachment 863391

View attachment 863393
Nah. I'm a bit of a purist. Tactical tupperware just doesn't interest me. I did order one of these, and hopefully it gets here before Christmas.

Dan-Wesson-Kodiak-770.jpg

Forum List

Back