#ShumerShutDown....

But that’s not entirely true. That’s because a government shutdown doesn’t actually mean the entire government shuts down. Government employees who are considered “excepted” are exempt from the furlough and will continue to work and get paid like normal.

Active-duty military personnel are among those who are “excepted.” So the military will still function even if the government shuts down, although as of now they will not be paid for their work

That WAS puzzling. Apparently, to be paid, the Congress needs to pass another piece of legislation to keep the checks flowing if it's a long shutdown.
It's all explained in the link I provided. Active military will have their checks delayed, at best. If, heaven forbid, a service member is KIA, his family will not receive his $10,000 funeral expense check.
In 2013, Congress passed a companion bill so the military would continue being paid. I am assuming if the Repubs aren't in TOO bad a mood, they will do the same.
Obama to sign military pay bill

But that’s not entirely true. That’s because a government shutdown doesn’t actually mean the entire government shuts down. Government employees who are considered “excepted” are exempt from the furlough and will continue to work and get paid like normal.

Active-duty military personnel are among those who are “excepted.” So the military will still function even if the government shuts down, although as of now they will not be paid for their work

That WAS puzzling. Apparently, to be paid, the Congress needs to pass another piece of legislation to keep the checks flowing if it's a long shutdown.
It's all explained in the link I provided. Active military will have their checks delayed, at best. If, heaven forbid, a service member is KIA, his family will not receive his $10,000 funeral expense check.
In 2013, Congress passed a companion bill so the military would continue being paid. I am assuming if the Repubs aren't in TOO bad a mood, they will do the same.
Obama to sign military pay bill
tap-tap-tappity-tap-tap.

[backspace][backspace][backspace][backspace]

Trump is wrong. A government shutdown won’t devastate the US military.

Wrong. I work for the military and most of it will still shut down entirely as most civilians are sent home, civilians make up nearly half the workforce.

Some of us are considered “mission essential” which means we still work without getting paid.

Stuff like personnel issues, housing services, training and other benefits are not accessible.

Forum List

Back