Should "work until you are dead" be the national policy?

Why are we not surprised?

I know right!

This is what I hate about republican boomers. They had/have it good. But now tell us we can't have it as good as they had it. You say you have

Affordable healthcare and a pension? Must be nice. LOL
Or how about the ones who went to college back when it was affordable, made a fortune off that degree, and now don't feel sorry for young people today having to go into major debt to get the same degree. And then expect them to have 2.5 kids? Fuck that. Boomers created a selfish generation(s) of Americans.

The greatest generation gave the boomers the world. New Deal, unions, a middle class the world had never seen before. Reagan and Bush gave us what we have today.

And looks who's suffering the most. Uneducated whites. And not just men. White uneducated women too.

Exactly.

You say you have

Affordable healthcare and a pension? Must be nice. LOL

It does make planning a lot easier. Just quick math shows that if I live 25 years after retiring my MC pension will pay me more than 800K. Once I hit 65 Medicare becomes my primary insurances and Tricare my secondary. I pay less for Tricare in year than some people I know pay in a month.

Also, our plan is to retire in Panama and Tricare is accepted there. There is actually a live talk this evening by a group I am in from a member of the VSO in Panama City talking about all the benefits for Vets there. I am really looking forward to hearing what they have to say

It does make planning a lot easier. Just quick math shows that if I live 25 years after retiring my MC pension will pay me more than 800K. Once I hit 65 Medicare becomes my primary insurances and Tricare my secondary. I pay less for Tricare in year than some people I know pay in a month.

Also, our plan is to retire in Panama and Tricare is accepted there. There is actually a live talk this evening by a group I am in from a member of the VSO in Panama City talking about all the benefits for Vets there. I am really looking forward to hearing what they have to say
You know who pisses me off? My retired cop friend who's now a Republican. Actually ran and won county clerk. Makes as much or more than he did as a cop. Cops are in unions. He has a 30 year pension. And if he wins re election ONCE, so 8 years, he will receive just as big of a pension for being county clerk for 8 fucking years.

He's like my brother. I'm happy for my brother he makes $1 million dollars a year as a VP of a Fortune 500 company but it also pisses me off VP's pay themselves so well. I'm happy my buddy is doing so well but meanwhile he's voting that paying the rest of us like he's paid is unsustainable.

I did that one summer in College

One time I set up a state fairgrounds. Just like a carnie. Put up the big tents, all the heavy work. The guy paid double what we were used to making. We made a fortune that week. But the owner of the whole thing, the big boss, tried to sexually molest me. I'm pretty sure of it. He took me off at night in the golf cart and grabbed my knee hard with his hand to see how I'd react. I jumped out of the cart and I was a high school wrestler so maybe he decided I'd be too difficult to ass rape or force me to give him oral.

Noted podcaster and conservative thought leader Ben Shapiro said on his show Tuesday, “It's insane that we haven't raised the retirement age in the United States.”

He continued: “No one in the United States should be retiring at 65 years old. Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”

So, what do you all think, should everyone work until they are dead and just give up this silly idea of retiring?
I retired last spring when I sold my business.

I'm 56, BTW.

Don't be, I'm getting kinda bored.
Exactly. But a lot of guys don't want to go back to the high pressure/stressful 5 days a week jobs you left. Otherwise you wouldn't have sold/left it.

My buddy quit going to a salon 5 days a week to cut hair. Now he just does it from home.

What kind of business did you own? Could you go back to work for the new owner?

Or maybe you should just go work at a state park near you. They're always looking for part timers.

Do you golf? My buddy is retired he works one day for free and they give him a free round of 18 on another day. They love him he loves them. Win win. Free worker just give him a free day of golf. And he eats for free the days he goes to work. LOL While his wife works at home remotely. He also has a Ebike and goes on rides with the ear buds in. Podcasts, music, etc. Get an ebike.

Where do you live? I want to look up all the trails near you.

Local Happy Hours have half priced appetizers and cheap drinks. We will order 3-4 appetizers and multiple drinks and that will be our dinnner

We have a Thai place that's 2 for Tuesday's. Lunch and dinner sizes are the same but dinner prices are $2 more. I won't go there at night. Only for lunch.

I've even gone at lunch and took it home and warmed it up at night. Hell, I've taken the extra one up north deer hunting. One night after the hunt I popped one of those in the microwave and boom, dinner.

I would NEVER go after happy hour. I'm cheap! And god bless your wife for not being the kind of woman who likes eating at 5pm even though it costs double. She don't care because you're the one who works for it.

Exactly. But a lot of guys don't want to go back to the high pressure/stressful 5 days a week jobs you left. Otherwise you wouldn't have sold/left it.

My buddy quit going to a salon 5 days a week to cut hair. Now he just does it from home.

What kind of business did you own? Could you go back to work for the new owner?

Or maybe you should just go work at a state park near you. They're always looking for part timers.

Do you golf? My buddy is retired he works one day for free and they give him a free round of 18 on another day. They love him he loves them. Win win. Free worker just give him a free day of golf. And he eats for free the days he goes to work. LOL While his wife works at home remotely. He also has a Ebike and goes on rides with the ear buds in. Podcasts, music, etc. Get an ebike.

Where do you live? I want to look up all the trails near you.
Security contracting specializing in large events but willing to do anything down to personal security. It was way more than 5 days a week when we had a contract, and the contractees were horrible people most of the time, which is what drove me to sell even though I like the field work.

And I'm under non-competes and an exclusive consulting contract for 3 more years as part of the sale.

Forum List

Back