Should we really 'remember the Alamo?'

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Big John would turn in his grave: Davy Crockett's defiant stand at the Alamo 'lasted just 20 minutes', claim historians

"Big John would turn in his grave: Davy Crockett's defiant stand at the Alamo 'lasted just 20 minutes', claim historians

* Americans cut down trying to escape pre-dawn attack
* Diary says Davy Crockett was captured and executed
* James Bowie was 'bayoneted in his bed'
* Hostile reception to new historical account in Texas

But, according to a new book, the brave last stand depicted by Hollywood stars like John Wayne was a myth.

In reality, author Phillip Thomas Tucker claimed many of the Americans who died at the Alamo were cut down as they tried to escape from the besieged garrison after a surprise pre-dawn attack.

But in his book, 'Exodus from the Alamo,' Dr Tucker painted a much less glamorous ending.

Using recently discovered Mexican accounts of the battle, the historian wrote that the defenders of the Alamo in the war for Texan independence did not die defending their garrison under brilliant sunlight.

Instead, the Mexicans launched a surprise pre-dawn attack, climbing the walls under cover of darkness and causing mayhem in the fort while most of its defenders were still asleep.

Bowie is rumoured to have been bayoneted in his bed.

According to a diary kept by Colonel Jose Enrique de la Pena, an officer in Santa Anna's army, Crocket was captured with a handful of others and executed.

Although the accuracy of the diary is disputed, he claimed Crocket and his fellow prisoners were hacked to death with swords.

And most of the Mexican casualties inflicted within the fort were said to be the result of 'friendly fire.'"

Of course not. We should fall to the ground and cry and whine a lot, proclaim Santa Ann a 'victim of white oppression', and snivel incessantly about 'racism n stuff' and how the Alamo offends some La Raza gimp.

I don't know about most but every historian knows the attack was a nighttime/pre-dawn attack, that 3 waves went in the 3rd finally succeeding and that Bowie was bayoneted while dying in bed from tuberculosis. As for "most defenders were asleep" is bull shit given it took 3 tries to breach the defenses and I'm sure some were trying to escape towards the end. As for Crockett, that debate still rages on to this day. There is nothing new here that hasn't already been explored and exploited, nothing new about a historian presenting his/her own case in a book to *gasp* make a profit, (remember, controversy sells......).

I don't know about most but every historian knows the attack was a nighttime/pre-dawn attack, that 3 waves went in the 3rd finally succeeding and that Bowie was bayoneted while dying in bed from tuberculosis. As for "most defenders were asleep" is bull shit given it took 3 tries to breach the defenses and I'm sure some were trying to escape towards the end. As for Crockett, that debate still rages on to this day. There is nothing new here that hasn't already been explored and exploited, nothing new about a historian presenting his/her own case in a book to *gasp* make a profit, (remember, controversy sells......).

'Nothing new about a historian...'

(conceals a smile)

BTW Tucker likes to write what might be considered highly controversial claims of historical events.

'Nothing new about a historian...'

(conceals a smile)
True, nothing new about many people from many backgrounds.

Actually we really don't "remember the Alamo". It was a political slogan at the time that galvanized the public into supporting the Texas republic. You couldn't go ten minutes on the 1940's radio without hearing "remember Pearl Harbor". Nobody really cares about the alleged details today.

Forum List

Back