Today In History...

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
During slavery, the policies used by the slave holders and backed by the laws of the US, pretty much made it a futile endeavor to rebel. The narrative taught in school is that rebellions that did occur usually ended in the death of the organizers or retribution was taken against their families. However, there were a few successful rebellions that are rarely talked about. Today in 1841 the Creole slave revolt was successfully accomplished.

Creole case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also today in history -- 1989, the first black mayor of New York City (David Dinkins) and the first black state governor (Douglas Wilder, Virginia) were elected. Same day.

During slavery, the policies used by the slave holders and backed by the laws of the US, pretty much made it a futile endeavor to rebel. The narrative taught in school is that rebellions that did occur usually ended in the death of the organizers or retribution was taken against their families. However, there were a few successful rebellions that are rarely talked about. Today in 1841 the Creole slave revolt was successfully accomplished.

Perhaps the most informative part of this thread so far: S.J. rates the story of this slave revolt as, "Funny".

As I recall he had much the same reaction to the Tulsa Race Riots anniversary thread. Between that and his incessant whining that it should go away and stop being talked about.

I guess when you're one of ---- those people ---- riots are hilarious.
Bizarro.

Perhaps the most informative part of this thread so far: S.J. rates the story of this slave revolt as, "Funny".

As I recall he had much the same reaction to the Tulsa Race Riots anniversary thread.
SJ is like a disabled flea to me. I note his presence but not really. When he appears on any of my threads I know whatever I posted about hurt him deeply. :laugh:

Try rereading it while listening to the Benny Hill theme. Fucking hilarious.

As I recall he had much the same reaction to the Tulsa Race Riots anniversary thread.
SJ is like a disabled flea to me. I note his presence but not really. When he appears on any of my threads I know whatever I posted about hurt him deeply. :laugh:

I'm just crushed that he didn't find my post about Dinkins and Wilder "funny" :crybaby:

EDIT -- I made it! The recount is in! Huzzah!
I knew I could count on ol' Shit Jism.

Last edited:
In 1940 the Tacoma Narrows bridge -- only four months old and the third-largest suspension bridge at the time --- collapsed into Puget Sound from "aeroelastic flutter":

Sadly the guy whose car is on the bridge was trying to rescue his dog out of there. The dog was so freaked out he bit his hand and had to be left behind. He was the only casualty.

Also today in history -- 1989, the first black mayor of New York City (David Dinkins) and the first black state governor (Douglas Wilder, Virginia) were elected. Same day.

Dinkins, worst Mayor in history

Also today in history (SJ "funny" alert --- I'm sure he'll find this side-splittingly hilarious) --- Elijah Lovejoy was murdered, two days before his 35th birthday --- for his excercise of Freedom of the Press:

>> In May 1836, after anti-abolitionist opponents in St. Louis destroyed his printing press for the third time, Lovejoy left the city and moved across the river to Alton in the free state of Illinois. In 1837 he started the Alton Observer, also an abolitionist paper. On November 7, 1837, a pro-slavery mob attacked the warehouse where Lovejoy had his fourth printing press. Lovejoy and his supporters exchanged gunfire with the mob, which fatally shot him. He died on the spot and was soon hailed as a martyr by abolitionists across the country. After his death, his brother Owen Lovejoy entered politics and became the leader of the Illinois abolitionists.

On November 2, 1837, five days before his death, he gave an emotive speech in Alton on the abolition question. In it, he asserted his willingness to respect the views of his opponents, but claimed the right to challenge them, as guaranteed in the Constitution. He reminded the audience that he was a hardworking and God-fearing citizen who had broken no laws, and that the physical threats to him and his family were totally unjustified. He ended by declaring that he would not be driven away, but would continue his work in Alton.[17]<< --- Elijah Parish Lovejoy (Wiki)
:salute:

Also today in history (SJ "funny" alert --- I'm sure he'll find this side-splittingly hilarious) --- Elijah Lovejoy was murdered, two days before his 35th birthday --- for his excercise of Freedom of the Press:

>> In May 1836, after anti-abolitionist opponents in St. Louis destroyed his printing press for the third time, Lovejoy left the city and moved across the river to Alton in the free state of Illinois. In 1837 he started the Alton Observer, also an abolitionist paper. On November 7, 1837, a pro-slavery mob attacked the warehouse where Lovejoy had his fourth printing press. Lovejoy and his supporters exchanged gunfire with the mob, which fatally shot him. He died on the spot and was soon hailed as a martyr by abolitionists across the country. After his death, his brother Owen Lovejoy entered politics and became the leader of the Illinois abolitionists.

On November 2, 1837, five days before his death, he gave an emotive speech in Alton on the abolition question. In it, he asserted his willingness to respect the views of his opponents, but claimed the right to challenge them, as guaranteed in the Constitution. He reminded the audience that he was a hardworking and God-fearing citizen who had broken no laws, and that the physical threats to him and his family were totally unjustified. He ended by declaring that he would not be driven away, but would continue his work in Alton.[17]<< --- Elijah Parish Lovejoy (Wiki)
:salute:
Nope, I find YOU side-splittingly hilarious.

and wrecked the city...then Republican Guilliani came in and cleaned up their mess....

and wrecked the city...then Republican Guilliani came in and cleaned up their mess....

Mayoring a city isn't steered by a political party, you helplessly partisan hack. And even if it were whoever succeeded to the office is completely off topic.

Go back to your Tonka trucks, kid. You're fucking boring.

You don't know shit BOY.

Forum List

Back