Should voters be concerned about Romney's Mormon religion?

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Brigham Young’s great-great-granddaughter believes so.

A direct descendant of Brigham Young, Sue Emmett left the church because of the very values she says would make Romney a frightening president. She speaks exclusively with Jamie Reno.

Sue Emmett is Mormon royalty. Her great-great-grandfather was Brigham Young, the founder of Salt Lake City, first governor of Utah, and president and prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) from 1847 until his death in 1877.

Much More: Exclusive: Brigham Young’s Great-Great-Granddaughter on Mormonism and Mitt Romney

"God Bless America" NO NO NO God Damn AMerica it's in da bible."

stfu you ignornat twat lipped blowhard.

Replace "Mormon" with "Islam" and there's no possible way this story makes it anywhere near the daily beast.

We have a Muslim president wreaking havoc upon the nation, after his shit a Mormon president would be like a breath of fresh air.

A direct descendant of Brigham Young, Sue Emmett left the church because of the very values she says would make Romney a frightening president. She speaks exclusively with Jamie Reno.

Sue Emmett is Mormon royalty. Her great-great-grandfather was Brigham Young, the founder of Salt Lake City, first governor of Utah, and president and prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) from 1847 until his death in 1877.

Much More: Exclusive: Brigham Young’s Great-Great-Granddaughter on Mormonism and Mitt Romney

There is no such thing as "Mormon royalty".

But I can completely understand why you would be threatened by a religion that encouraged education, honesty, and charity.

Romney's religion makes no difference to me.

I'd rather have him as President than a "Christian" like Jeremiah Wright.

There is no such thing as "Mormon royalty".

But I can completely understand why you would be threatened by a religion that encouraged education, honesty, and charity.

Once I read that blurb I knew I didn't need to read the article.

I salute anyone who bothers to read the OP link.

I read the whole thing. Notice the story gives much more time and delves into Emmett's thoughts, almost totally disregarding Todd's comments which are very valid, particularly this one:

"I view my role in the church and in God’s plan as distinct and complementary to the efforts of men."

Traditional values, believing that men and women are different and thus are better suited for fulfilling different roles within the family. Believe it or not, some women want to bear children and fulfill the role of mother and homemaker for herself, her husband and her family... while being less concerned with showing men that "we can do anything you do!" So can men. Big deal.

If Emmett wants to break away from the church then that's fine; good for her. She disagrees with some things and thus doesn't want to be part of it. Different strokes for different folks.

This article really boils down to bigotry against the Mormon faith. That's it. Not surprising though considering the source.

Last edited:
Regarding Romney and the presidency, Emmett cites a bit of Mormon lore called the White Horse Prophecy that has floated around since the time of Mormon founder Joseph Smith. It suggests that Mormons believe a time will come when the U.S. Constitution is eroding and Mormon leaders will save it and usher in a new theocracy with Mormons in charge. Emmett’s great-great-grandfather talked about it. In a discourse from 1855, Young wrote that "when the Constitution hangs, as it were, upon a single thread, they will have to call for the 'Mormon' Elders to save it from utter destruction; and they will step forth and do it."

From the OP link.

OK, read through it.

'Concerned' in modern parlance infers worried. One person's bit of information is another person's bad news.

His religion is something that reasonable can be considered when comparing qualities. I could understand not desiring that in a president.

That is not why I could not vote for Romney. I won't vote for Obama, not even against Romney.

I'm still looking, and I don't understand why so many aren't.

Uninformed sources tell me that Harry Reid might have hit and run a pedestrian while high on coke

I salute anyone who bothers to read the OP link.

I read the whole thing. Notice the story gives much more time and delves into Emmett's thoughts, almost totally disregarding Todd's comments which are very valid, particularly this one:

"I view my role in the church and in God’s plan as distinct and complementary to the efforts of men."

Traditional values, believing that men and women are different and thus are better suited for fulfilling different roles within the family. Believe it or not, some women want to bear children and fulfill the role of mother and homemaker for herself, her husband and her family... while being less concerned with showing men that "we can do anything you do!" So can men. Big deal.

If Emmett wants to break away from the church then that's fine; good for her. She disagrees with some things and thus doesn't want to be part of it. Different strokes for different folks.

This article really boils down to bigotry against the Mormon faith. That's it. Not surprising though considering the source.

What would one expect Todd to say?

Regarding Romney and the presidency, Emmett cites a bit of Mormon lore called the White Horse Prophecy that has floated around since the time of Mormon founder Joseph Smith. It suggests that Mormons believe a time will come when the U.S. Constitution is eroding and Mormon leaders will save it and usher in a new theocracy with Mormons in charge. Emmett’s great-great-grandfather talked about it. In a discourse from 1855, Young wrote that "when the Constitution hangs, as it were, upon a single thread, they will have to call for the 'Mormon' Elders to save it from utter destruction; and they will step forth and do it."

From the OP link.

I wasnt very surprised she was misleading people with that. I hope the deception is more from ignorance than intention though.

Forum List

Back