should the rich be forced to pay more so us in the middle class can pay less?

i believe the rich should pay more just so i can pay less

• Total voters
Seems like pure theft to me. What say you?

Edit: This poll is in relation to the Democratic proposal in the Senate to pay for a middle class tax cut with a surcharge on the rich. Since most of us probably aren't rich I think I worded the poll correctly as most of us would benefit from this proposal.

I see this as two separate issues. First issue: should the rich pay more? My answer is yes. Second issue: should we keep the payroll tax cuts in place? My answer is no, simply because we need an increase in revenue along with some spending cuts, and increasing taxes solely on the wealthy will not generate enough revenue. Also, as one who strongly believes that we need an increase in government revenue, and one who believes that tax cuts, for the most part, do not help to create new jobs, I want to see taxes increased across the board. That being said, since the wealthy received the largest benefit, by far, from the Bush tax cuts, I believe any increase in taxes should hit them more than the middle class.

Even though the sunset of the Bush cuts will have already hit them the most? Seems a bit heavy handed to me.

Seems like pure theft to me. What say you?

Edit: This poll is in relation to the Democratic proposal in the Senate to pay for a middle class tax cut with a surcharge on the rich. Since most of us probably aren't rich I think I worded the poll correctly as most of us would benefit from this proposal.

I see this as two separate issues. First issue: should the rich pay more? My answer is yes. Second issue: should we keep the payroll tax cuts in place? My answer is no, simply because we need an increase in revenue along with some spending cuts, and increasing taxes solely on the wealthy will not generate enough revenue. Also, as one who strongly believes that we need an increase in government revenue, and one who believes that tax cuts, for the most part, do not help to create new jobs, I want to see taxes increased across the board. That being said, since the wealthy received the largest benefit, by far, from the Bush tax cuts, I believe any increase in taxes should hit them more than the middle class.

Even though the sunset of the Bush cuts will have already hit them the most? Seems a bit heavy handed to me.

I'd be happy letting the Bush tax cuts expire, raising the Medicare tax rate by a small amount for the employer and employee, dropping the payroll tax cut, and raising the capital gains rate to 25%. Whatever our shortfall after that would have to come from spending cuts.

Forum List

Back