Should the FCC force FOX to warn viewers about GOLD

The Founders were Liberals; Libertarians weren't even invented yet.

Dear Founders and libertarians were for very very limited govt. The idea started with Aristotle( not called liberal libertarian or conservative in his day) Cicero Jesus Locke Jefferson. Welcome to your first lesson in World History.

What does your repeated posting the same ignorant crapola over and over expecting different results tell you?

dear, if ignorant why so afraid to present an example of the ignorance?

Voilà:

First, by the time the Republican Party was founded, Jefferson had been dead 28 years.

If Jefferson and Madison didn't found the Republican party in 1793 or so I'll pay you $10,000. Bet? What party do you think they founded?

The "Democratic-Republican" Party, which, like the Whigs and the Federalists, no longer exists and is unrelated to the current Republican Party, founded in 1854.

Pay up.

Dear, what makes you think he founded the Democratic-Republican Party rather than the Republican Party?

What does your repeated posting the same ignorant crapola over and over expecting different results tell you?

dear, if ignorant why so afraid to present an example of the ignorance?

Voilà:

First, by the time the Republican Party was founded, Jefferson had been dead 28 years.

If Jefferson and Madison didn't found the Republican party in 1793 or so I'll pay you $10,000. Bet? What party do you think they founded?

The "Democratic-Republican" Party, which, like the Whigs and the Federalists, no longer exists and is unrelated to the current Republican Party, founded in 1854.

Pay up.

Dear, what makes you think he founded the Democratic-Republican Party rather than the Republican Party?

????

If a Muslim Arab mogul controlled the programming Fox would not be telling the truth about hamas. It would be the same as MSNBC.

Nuddley is totally full of shit and taken to making up lies - JoeB-ing - to support a position. A Saudi owns 7-9% of the stock of Fox's parent company so the idiot morphed that into he controls Fox programming. It sounds good and sure to be swallowed up by other low info dupes like rdeany and others. Nice try and all but intelligent folks know it's bullshit.

Buying gold was a smart move five years ago too.

Are you kidding? Break even after commission after 5 years is not smart.
At the time of my post gold was about $1,280
Five years before my post gold was about $950

What kind of commissions do you pay?
You are trying to convince people that a balanced portfolio is smart. While true, it is not possible to convince of that fact. How many people on this board do you think have both the background and the temperament to follow the rules of a Modigliani portfolio? And that includes the professional investors and economists on this board by their own admission. Can Old Fart, Pinqy, Toro or you name them explain how and why such a strategy works better other than any other technique with large numbers of back tests? Yeah, have they pulled the trigger on doing so? Not if their posts truthfully reflect their actions.

Most people lack the temperament to follow any proven strategy.

You are creating problems that don't exist. Who cares whether someone can follow the Modigliani portfolio (whatever that is) and why would anyone be required to explain why one works better?

One can spend all day playing around at portfoliovisualizer.com to backtest, but I don't think one needs to have the absolute best asset allocation. Having the absolutely perfect/best asset allocation is a totally different thing than following some simple rules of having an appropriately balanced portfolio that is suitable for your risk tolerance.

Dudes, I just sold some 14K gold to offset the cost of them installing an almost flawless 1.4 carat diamond in a white gold setting. The insanity of investing on GOLD as an investment cannot be underestimated. That is not to say playing Newmont Mining or other stocks is a mistake. Just realize GOLD is a worthless commodity just like in that Twilight Zone episode back in the day!

Dudes, I just sold some 14K gold to offset the cost of them installing an almost flawless 1.4 carat diamond in a white gold setting. The insanity of investing on GOLD as an investment cannot be underestimated. That is not to say playing Newmont Mining or other stocks is a mistake. Just realize GOLD is a worthless commodity just like in that Twilight Zone episode back in the day!

gold is not meant to be the currency during hard times

You are creating problems that don't exist. Who cares whether someone can follow the Modigliani portfolio (whatever that is) and why would anyone be required to explain why one works better?

One can spend all day playing around at portfoliovisualizer.com to backtest, but I don't think one needs to have the absolute best asset allocation. Having the absolutely perfect/best asset allocation is a totally different thing than following some simple rules of having an appropriately balanced portfolio that is suitable for your risk tolerance.
I agree but that was not the point I was trying to make but rather finding a workable strategy that you can and will pull the trigger on is quite difficult.

I was actually considering buying GOLD proxies like Newmont Mining and Gold iShares and SPDRs but the bottom out happened already. GOLD is barbecued. Stick a fork in it.

Owning refined gold is usually done for the wrong reasons.

Buying low, selling high appeals to many it's about the same as "investing" your money at a craps table in 'Vegas.

Buying to hold because gold (or any precious metal) has never been worth zero....and perhaps you believe inflation will continue and accelerate....there's some sense in that.

But gold leaves footprints. FDR once outlawed private ownership of gold and folks were required to turn it in for $32.00/ounce regardless what they might have paid for it.

Sale of gold through commercial channels is tracked. Any sale at a profit attracts capital gains taxes. From the moment a commercial facility refines raw gold there's a footprint just waiting to be taxed. Set up as neatly for confiscation as a registered gun.

OK, so that probably won't happen. Just like FDR never took out after people's gold.

So what's safe?

Concentrate. Independent miners are positioned to be the winners. Most are not equipped to refine gold to ultimate purity. They work the ore down to a highly concentrated form then send it out for refining. At that point there's a footprint. There are records of who owns what. If they refine only what they need for the near term and keep the concentrate then there's no record. Nowhere.

Big mining companies can't do that but they wouldn't even if they could because they need to divvy up with shareholders. Independent small miners can sit on concentrate indefinitely or can sell it for cash, no checks, no credit cards, and definitely no records. No record even that it ever existed. Legal? No. There's the reason you won't see gold concentrate being hawked on FOX or CNBC or CNN or even PMSNBC. Not yet.

Now you figure it out from there.
Advertising is down there in the sewers of the world along with lawyers and the IRS. How I long for the days of cigarette commercials showing young, beautiful people on top of green mountains and a beautiful blue sky sucking on a stick you ignite to inhale smoke from a little fire and then blow smoke out of your head orifices. Ah yes, to be young and happy and healthy all because they are smokers. Then there are the beer commercials on beer showing young people in crowds having a ball while "drinking responsibly". Last, a house hold cleaner that removes cancer, birth defects and war.
P.S. BUT GOLD NOW OR BE CAST OUT!!

I was actually considering buying GOLD proxies like Newmont Mining and Gold iShares and SPDRs but the bottom out happened already. GOLD is barbecued. Stick a fork in it.

Jim Cramer on CNBC states categorically SPDR GLD is the ONLY way to buy in to the precious metal. I don't own it but am thinking of adding it to my portfolio but even though he says about 5% should be your portion mine would be less, maybe 2%. I know nothing about buying gold coins but did back off buy when it was 1,700+ (thankfully).

Gold's what you invest in during times of uncertainty. Not in 'good times' when markets are at their all-time highs. If markets are doing well, stay away from metals and currencies. If markets are tanking, look at gold and such.

Forum List

Back