Should tax payers have to pay to help clean up W. Virginia's chemical spill?

R

rdean

Evan Osnos: A Chemical Spill in West Virginia : The New Yorker

At 8:16 a.m., a resident called the state Department of Environmental Protection and said that something in the air was, in the operator’s words, “coating his wife’s throat.” Downtown, the mayor, Danny Jones, smelled it and thought, Well, it’s just a chemical in the air. It’ll move. A few minutes passed. “I stuck my mouth up to a water fountain and took a big drink, and I thought, We’re in trouble,” he recalls.

This was West Virginia’s fifth major industrial accident in eight years. Most accidents unfold deep in the mountains that contain the state’s natural resources. In this case, the leaders of the state were less than three miles away—near enough to smell it.

West Virginia has moved so far to the right that, in 2012, President Obama lost all fifty-five counties, a first for a Presidential candidate of either major party.

The state has become a standard-bearer for pro-business, limited-government conservatism. The day before the chemical spill, the governor, Earl Ray Tomblin, delivered his State of the State address, criticizing federal environmental regulators and vowing, “I will never back down from the E.P.A.

By this time, people had been drinking the water all day. Authorities urged the public to watch for symptoms of exposure, including rashes, nausea, vomiting, and wheezing. Just after midnight, President Obama declared a federal emergency. He dispatched fema and sent in the National Guard to deliver truckloads of bottled water.

West Virginia ranks among the nation’s worst states when it comes to smoking, obesity, disabilities, and prescription-drug abuse; it trails much of the nation in the rate of college graduation. So many young people leave in search of work that West Virginians joke that kids learn the three R’s: reading, ’riting, and Route 77—the road out. In McDowell County, at the southern end of the state, the average man lives to be sixty-four—a level on a par with Yemen. Over the border in Virginia, men in Fairfax County live eighteen years longer.

After the spill and the ban on water this past January, schools, restaurants, and businesses shut down.

People were getting in knock-down drag-outs over the last case of water.

In the first three days, more than two hundred people showed up at emergency rooms with rashes, nausea, and other complaints.

The public recoiled. If the water wasn’t safe for pregnant women, why was it safe for infants or toddlers? What about pregnant women who had been told that it was safe and resumed drinking it?

“In the past ten or fifteen years, they’ve systematically weakened virtually all the major water-quality standards that apply to the coal industry,” he said. “One by one, there’s been a steady effort to undermine the implementation of environmental laws, to the point that it’s become a part of everyday normal life here.”

When I asked Dr. Gupta, the head of the health department, if he and his family were drinking from the tap, he said that they were not. The water at their house still had an odor. “It is very difficult to drink licorice-flavored water,” he said. I asked if there were any outstanding scientific questions, and he laughed.

The 1974 Safe Drinking Water Act allows every resident of the United States to have access to safe drinking water. So how do we say that, for three hundred thousand people in this part of West Virginia, it’s O.K. to have ‘appropriate’ water? Do we understand the path we’re taking here, by defining two different classes of water, for two different groups of population? Do we really want to go down that path?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Senate Republicans Introduce Bill to Abolish the EPA

Read the comments below the article.

So that's it. Republicans are tired of big government "interfering". Should tax payers have to come to the rescue of Republican Red States who poison their own drinking water? Why? Remember, it's Republicans who scream out "let them die". OK, "let them die". Isn't that what they want?

Gotta love the part about North Carolina where restaurants have signs in the window saying they only use "bottled water".

Last edited by a moderator:
Evan Osnos: A Chemical Spill in West Virginia : The New Yorker

At 8:16 a.m., a resident called the state Department of Environmental Protection and said that something in the air was, in the operator’s words, “coating his wife’s throat.” Downtown, the mayor, Danny Jones, smelled it and thought, Well, it’s just a chemical in the air. It’ll move. A few minutes passed. “I stuck my mouth up to a water fountain and took a big drink, and I thought, We’re in trouble,” he recalls.

This was West Virginia’s fifth major industrial accident in eight years. Most accidents unfold deep in the mountains that contain the state’s natural resources. In this case, the leaders of the state were less than three miles away—near enough to smell it.

West Virginia has moved so far to the right that, in 2012, President Obama lost all fifty-five counties, a first for a Presidential candidate of either major party.

The state has become a standard-bearer for pro-business, limited-government conservatism. The day before the chemical spill, the governor, Earl Ray Tomblin, delivered his State of the State address, criticizing federal environmental regulators and vowing, “I will never back down from the E.P.A.

By this time, people had been drinking the water all day. Authorities urged the public to watch for symptoms of exposure, including rashes, nausea, vomiting, and wheezing. Just after midnight, President Obama declared a federal emergency. He dispatched fema and sent in the National Guard to deliver truckloads of bottled water.

West Virginia ranks among the nation’s worst states when it comes to smoking, obesity, disabilities, and prescription-drug abuse; it trails much of the nation in the rate of college graduation. So many young people leave in search of work that West Virginians joke that kids learn the three R’s: reading, ’riting, and Route 77—the road out. In McDowell County, at the southern end of the state, the average man lives to be sixty-four—a level on a par with Yemen. Over the border in Virginia, men in Fairfax County live eighteen years longer.

After the spill and the ban on water this past January, schools, restaurants, and businesses shut down.

People were getting in knock-down drag-outs over the last case of water.

In the first three days, more than two hundred people showed up at emergency rooms with rashes, nausea, and other complaints.

The public recoiled. If the water wasn’t safe for pregnant women, why was it safe for infants or toddlers? What about pregnant women who had been told that it was safe and resumed drinking it?

“In the past ten or fifteen years, they’ve systematically weakened virtually all the major water-quality standards that apply to the coal industry,” he said. “One by one, there’s been a steady effort to undermine the implementation of environmental laws, to the point that it’s become a part of everyday normal life here.”

When I asked Dr. Gupta, the head of the health department, if he and his family were drinking from the tap, he said that they were not. The water at their house still had an odor. “It is very difficult to drink licorice-flavored water,” he said. I asked if there were any outstanding scientific questions, and he laughed.

The 1974 Safe Drinking Water Act allows every resident of the United States to have access to safe drinking water. So how do we say that, for three hundred thousand people in this part of West Virginia, it’s O.K. to have ‘appropriate’ water? Do we understand the path we’re taking here, by defining two different classes of water, for two different groups of population? Do we really want to go down that path?

Senate Republicans Introduce Bill to Abolish the EPA

Read the comments below the article.

So that's it. Republicans are tired of big government "interfering". Should tax payers have to come to the rescue of Republican Red States who poison their own drinking water? Why? Remember, it's Republicans who scream out "let them die". OK, "let them die". Isn't that what they want?

Gotta love the part about North Carolina where restaurants have signs in the window saying they only use "bottled water".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PepQF7G-It0

I really thought USMB Republicans would be all over this asking why the nanny state should have to pay for other people's mistakes. That this is the fault of "over regulation" and companies would do a better job if they weren't "fined".

wow, that was long and full a partisan bullshit that had nothing to do with the story itself, so I got bored with your bullshit.

but aside from the usual crap, no, taxpayers outside WV, should not have a penny go there. The company responsible for the spill should cover the entire cost.

If it was forced to, it would operate safer, but since it knows the Fed will bail them out (a Fed run by dems) they won't.

wow, that was long and full a partisan bullshit that had nothing to do with the story itself, so I got bored with your bullshit.

but aside from the usual crap, no, taxpayers outside WV, should not have a penny go there. The company responsible for the spill should cover the entire cost.

If it was forced to, it would operate safer, but since it knows the Fed will bail them out (a Fed run by dems) they won't.

Republicans didn't feel that BP should be responsible for their spill in the gulf. I even started a thread about Republicans blocking subpoena power for the Obama administration to investigate BP. At first Republicans insisted it was a lie. Their party would never do that. Eventually, they said they just wanted time to "read" it. Other excuses are listed. Then there was the apology to BP for wanting them to pay for their mess. The truth is Republicans really do see corporations as "people". Important people. Even more important than American citizens.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/congress/134971-senate-republicans-block-bp-investigation.html

Republicans didn't feel that BP should be responsible for their spill in the gulf. I even started a thread about Republicans blocking subpoena power for the Obama administration to investigate BP. At first Republicans insisted it was a lie. Their party would never do that. Eventually, they said they just wanted time to "read" it. Other excuses are listed. Then there was the apology to BP for wanting them to pay for their mess. The truth is Republicans really do see corporations as "people". Important people. Even more important than American citizens.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/congress/134971-senate-republicans-block-bp-investigation.html

I'm not a Republican.

bp should have covered the cost. What should not have been done, is have the Fed take money from them (which is what the apology was about) and then have the Fed pass the money out.

As you know, the Fed is intentionally inefficient, bp wanted to pony up, but didn't want to have to pay more b/c the Fed wasted their money

don't know why you are derailing your own thread to re-hash an old story

I'm not a Republican.

bp should have covered the cost. What should not have been done, is have the Fed take money from them (which is what the apology was about) and then have the Fed pass the money out.

As you know, the Fed is intentionally inefficient, bp wanted to pony up, but didn't want to have to pay more b/c the Fed wasted their money

Do you think BP would do anything at all without the government stepping in to make them? Do you understand the meaning of the term "terribly naive"?

I'm not a Republican.

Do you think BP would do anything at all without the government stepping in to make them? Do you understand the meaning of the term "terribly naive"?

bp was already paying people before obama tyrannically stepped in and fucked shit up even more.

yes, I understand terribly naive.

Do you understand unbelievably ignorant?

Forum List

Back