Should muslims be allowed to be airline pilots?

Hmmm. My inclination is to say no. Why? For the same reasons of what SJ just said. BUT...on the other hand, not all muslims are murderers or extremists. Then again, the risk that one IS an extremist and has such a weapon in his hands...but then thats painting all of them with a very broad brush....however, is the glass half empty or half full?

Difficult question. I'm not sure how to answer because I just flat don't know the answer to it.
Would you feel comfortable boarding a plane with 5 or 6 muslims getting on in front of you? Sorry, but I don't feel obligated to put give any of them the benefit of the doubt, especially when NONE of them will denounce Islamic terrorism.
We were posting at the same time. Yeah...I'm pretty much in agreement with you but I have no clue why I feel kinda guilty thinking it.
Liberal propaganda.
Non political. More like human compassion to believe the best is in everyone when I know that isn't true but struggle with that knowledge.
That's what they do. They appeal to that compassion and exploit it, then murder us.

How many people have to die before we figure this out? All the planes that are deliberately crashed have had muslim pilots. Are we so afraid of hurting their feelings that we'll continue to sacrifice innocent lives, including children? Should passengers be allowed to know if their pilot is muslim? If not, why not?

Remember when the "Muslim" hijackers from 911 were tracked down by the news and still alive?

"Should muslims be allowed to be airline pilots?"

How exactly would you 'disallow' Muslims from being airline pilots, what would be the mechanics of that.

Would you disallow someone because he 'looks Muslim,' would you ask an applicant his religion during an interview, or would you investigate him searching for 'Muslim activities.'

If you bothered to ask yourself these questions, you'd likely realize the stupidity of your thread premise, and avoided embarrassing yourself by not starting this idiotic thread in the first place.

If I am on a plane, I would rather stare at the sky above the clouds and appreciate it in all of its beauty and let my mind wonder off... instead of freaking out about the religion of the pilot, lol. There is beauty in all religions. I don't get the desire to hurl yourself into a bad trip over the other people on board, whether its because of their appearance or over what religion you think they are.

As such... I see no reason to prevent Muslims from becoming airplane pilots, or to prevent them from boarding planes lol merely the religion they embrace makes some people uncomfortable. Such discrimination might only encourage the very behavior you so fear.

How many people have to die before we figure this out? All the planes that are deliberately crashed have had muslim pilots. Are we so afraid of hurting their feelings that we'll continue to sacrifice innocent lives, including children? Should passengers be allowed to know if their pilot is muslim? If not, why not?
Did I miss something overnight (as I write this)?

Do we know that the cockpit crew member (co-pilot) that was still inside the cockpit (the one who was not locked-out) was a Muslim?

Wow.

This is what happens when the people of this nation forget what the term freedom even means. the bigotry and idiocy displayed thus far is MASSIVE and disappointing. Why not burn the constitution while you are at it - clearly you don't think the fist amendment actually means anything.

Teabaggers? It has nothing to do with political party!
Oh, and that's Tea Party, if I recall correctly, and not 'tea baggers' - which, as I recall, is a deviant sexual practice most frequently and stereotypically associated with those in the Liberal camp who are a little light in the loafers.

Last edited:
Hmmm. My inclination is to say no. Why? For the same reasons of what SJ just said. BUT...on the other hand, not all muslims are murderers or extremists. Then again, the risk that one IS an extremist and has such a weapon in his hands...but then thats painting all of them with a very broad brush....however, is the glass half empty or half full?

Difficult question. I'm not sure how to answer because I just flat don't know the answer to it.
Really?

This is the easiest question you will ever have to answer - your religious beliefs are not subject to arbitrary governmental oversight - PERIOD. Do you also want the constitution simply done away with?

Really?

This is the easiest question you will ever have to answer - your religious beliefs are not subject to arbitrary governmental oversight - PERIOD. Do you also want the constitution simply done away with?
The Constitution is not a suicide pact.

If we are doing (or allowing) something that is extremely dangerous and detrimental to the public safety, a way will be found to squash it.

Even if it means bending the rules a bit in order to shoehorn-in the legal mechanism(s) by which that squashing would be accomplished.

Why?

Because, when safety and Constitutionality are in conflict in times of extremis, safety wins, nearly every time.

Don't believe that?

Just ask the Japanese-Americans of our West Coast during the 1941-1945 time frame - still within Living Memory.

Or those incarcerated by the LIncoln Administration in the 1860s during the Civil War, after the suspension of habeus corpus, once the shooting started.

Shit happens.

We can continue to hope that that particular type of shit does not manifest.

But we should not fool ourselves that The Nation and The People would not act, should the situation worsen to that point of extreme danger.

Really?

The Constitution is not a suicide pact.

If we are doing (or allowing) something that is extremely dangerous and detrimental to the public safety, a way will be found to squash it.

Even if it means bending the rules a bit in order to shoehorn-in the legal mechanism(s) by which that squashing would be accomplished.

Why?

Because, when safety and Constitutionality are in conflict in times of extremis, safety wins, nearly every time.

Don't believe that?

Just ask the Japanese-Americans of our West Coast during the 1941-1945 time frame - still within Living Memory.

Or those incarcerated by the LIncoln Administration in the 1860s during the Civil War, after the suspension of habeus corpus, once the shooting started.

Shit happens.

We can continue to hope that that particular type of shit does not manifest.

But we should not fool ourselves that The Nation and The People would not act, should the situation worsen to that point of extreme danger.
So getting on a plane with a Muslim is suicide.

Just admit that you do not care what the constitution stands for or protects - it is clear that you think freedom for all Americans actually means freedom for those that fall into the proper group.

I am also well aware of the fact that we have abandoned our ideals and morals in times of crisis. Unlike you though the events DISGUST ME and under no circumstances should be repeated. Japanese internment caps are a blight on American morals and supporting the asinine idea in the OP is harkening back to that type of thought. If that is how we are going to treat our most sacred ideals then we shouldn't even bother. Close the nation up and turn it into a totalitarian governent already.

At the risk of hurting your feelings, you're a bigot and an idiot.

Your post is the product of faulty reasoning, it fails as a hasty generalization fallacy, where the actions of a few are not representative of the whole.

Moreover, in the United States, what you propose would be actionable in the private sector and un-Constitutional in the public.

thYYX9VPN1.jpg

Islam the pit bull of religions.

Sure, most pit bulls don't attack innocent people, but when you hear of dogs attacking, 9 times out of 10 they are pit bulls.

...So getting on a plane with a Muslim is suicide...
Nope. Didn't say that. Didn't imply that. Also did not imply that we should begin acting legally to empower ourselves to say that or to act that way.

What I DID say was that IF the situation gets bad enough, Americans will probably 'bend' the Constitution enough to make them 'more safe', as we have done in the past.

That's all I said... no more, no less.

...Just admit that you do not care what the constitution stands for or protects - it is clear that you think freedom for all Americans actually means freedom for those that fall into the proper group...
Your emotions are running away with you.

I suggest you re-read the first three sentences in this response (above).

My commitment to the United States Constitution and its mode of governance and - most importantly - to The People it governs, is quite real and quite comprehensive.

But you're right about my belief that American freedom should only be extended to those that fall into the proper group.

My own personal definition of that 'proper group' is: Everyone not trying to kill or destroy us.

And, bottom line... I really don't give a rat's ass if you have a problem with that definition.
...I am also well aware of the fact that we have abandoned our ideals and morals in times of crisis. Unlike you though the events DISGUST ME and under no circumstances should be repeated. Japanese internment caps are a blight on American morals and supporting the asinine idea in the OP is harkening back to that type of thought. If that is how we are going to treat our most sacred ideals then we shouldn't even bother. Close the nation up and turn it into a totalitarian governent already.
Your emotions are running away with you.

The Constitution is a living, breathing mode of governance, and is adapted and bent and spin-doctored and re-interpreted from time to time, as the needs of the times dictate.

Its genius is that it has survived several unfortunate but seemingly-necessary emergency treatments.

I do not (at this juncture) support the idea behind the OP - barring Muslims from serving as airline pilots, on airlines and routes controlled by the United States.

Nowhere in my modest collection of postings to-date in this thread, will you find anything even remotely close to such a position.

I DO, indeed, hold, that it would be possible to undertake such measures in a crisis, and to do so within a Constitutional framework.

But it would require a ruling by SCOTUS that Islam at-large is NOT solely a religion, but a hostile and culturally toxic Political and Cultural and Legal and Military framework, inextricably embedded and disingenuously cloaked in a mantle of Spirituality - dangerous to the safety and good order of The Republic and its People...

Declared by SCOTUS to be such - and, therefore, not purely a Religion - it would be rendered ineligible to take advantage of the protections of religious tolerance and freedom of religion, enjoyed by its far less violent and far less war-like modern counterparts.

Find a Constitutional way to strip Islam of its religious protection in the US and much of the remainder of The West will follow at the speed of light, after some clucking of tongues and finger-wagging, which would quickly turn into relief, that a legal way 'out' had finally been found...

But it would have to be done within a Constitutional framework, not outside of it.

That would be the macro-level approach, even if the details would still require fleshing out.

And, of course, none of that shit is going to happen, this side of Hell freezing over, unless (or until?) the Muslim problem gets too far out of hand to deal with in any other way.

As I've said, the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

Let us continue to hope that the situation does NOT reach such a sorry state of affairs, yes?

But that is up to the Muslim community to decide, not the rest of us... either get control of your people, or suffer the consequences.

I do not believe that we have yet reached that state of extremis, but we are sufficiently close now, for such discussions to be unfolding more frequently in the public domain.

Interesting times... scary times... and, if it gets too much worse... who can say?

Sensing - and articulating - the macro-level approach to achieve such bans is not the same as advocating for it to be implemented.

Not even close.

Personally, I think Islam is a cancer and a blight upon Mankind, and that it is hostile-to and incompatible with Western culture and beliefs and values and philosophy and governance, and I sense that Islam is compulsively driven towards a Day of Shunning in The West.

But what I think about it doesn't matter a damn.

What matters is how we - collectively - decide to deal with it, and...

It is truly my hope that it does NOT come to this... banning Islam (including Muslim pilots) in some way or another.

But, the way things have been going, the past 20 years or so, well... it doesn't look good.

Doesn't mean I like it, though.

Even for someone like me, who despises that particular belief system, the Lesson of Niemoeller was not lost on me.

Last edited:
Can you imagine in the future when booking a flight the choices are....

Would you prefer first class or coach
Window seat or a seat on the aisle
Muslim flight crew or non Muslim flight crew.

Forum List

Back