Should military service be a pre-req for the Presidency?

No.

It might be nice if the POTUS wasdn't a freking chickenhawks, of course, but there's no way to prevent people like Bush II from becoming POTUS.

I was thinking about this the other day. The President is head of the military and yet some presidents have never served.

I think the answer is, FUCK NO! First, those men and women are brainwashed. To what extent I do not know, but from what I am told by people in the military, they are brainwashed. Just look at the Iraq war. We knew for over a year there were no WMD's and our soldiers were still being told that lie.

Second of all, we already have a very very hard time finding a good president. So who were our last Presidents? Bush didn't serve, Clinton either, did Reagan? I don't believe so. Maybe he did, but I think of him as an actor.

And this sounds dangerous. Soon we will have a police state and the military will be too powerful?

I don't like the sound of this.

I was thinking about this the other day. The President is head of the military and yet some presidents have never served.

you want to be the only developed democratic nation on the planet that has a constitution requiring its presidents to be military men?

That's nuts. No thanks. This nation was founded on civilian control of the military.

Every one male and female should serve some time in the military. (or no one should)
This should also include people with disabilities,they can punch away on blogs ,they can sit in a office for the military.

How long would you want everyone to serve? One year? Three years?

And what if all of the filing and office work in the military ran out? Would you pay these folks to just sit around and wait for their service time to run out?

And if they serve their required time, and are honorably discharged, would they be given full military benefits?

How much would this cost? And how much would it cost our economy and society to have people taken out of the work force during their 20s, just to make sure that everyone had an appreciation of the military efforts?

I'm not sure that I would have any better appreciation of the military if I was given a job filing for three years.

Just wondering...

I would like to see a draft brought back that splits up the weight of military service across all spectrums of our society.

Do you feel that replacing kids coming out of high school (who have no plans for the future other than obtaining training in the military) with college bound kids would be beneficial? And in what way?

Would a military comprised individuals that are forced against their will to join, be better than a military comprised of individuals with a desire to join?

Well, then he would also have to have business experience, social experience, environmental experience...the list goes on. I do think he or she should have a minimum of at least 6 years of elected office experience.

This is one I disagree with big time. I think the best thing that could happen to our system is for non-politicians to be elected to office. Electing career politicians is exactly our problem. They all talk big games at election about ideals and stuff, but once in office it's business as usual, trading votes, supporting earmarks, then stab each other in the back with it in the next election.

As to miltary service no. I mean our ultimate (perhaps unatainable) goal is that we don't even need a military right?

Last edited:
Well, then he would also have to have business experience, social experience, environmental experience...the list goes on. I do think he or she should have a minimum of at least 6 years of elected office experience.

This is one I disagree with big time. I think the best thing that could happen to our system is for non-politicians to be elected to office. Electing career politicians is exactly our problem. They all talk big games at election about ideals and stuff, but once in office it's business as usual, trading votes, supporting earmarks, then stab each other in the back with it in the next election.

Obama has only been in politics since 96.

Obama entered Harvard Law School in late 1988. He was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review at the end of his first year,[35] and president of the journal in his second year.[36] During his summers, he returned to Chicago where he worked as a summer associate at the law firms of Sidley & Austin in 1989 and Hopkins & Sutter in 1990.[37] After graduating with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) magna cum laude[38][39] from Harvard in 1991, he returned to Chicago.[35]

Obama's election as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review gained national media attention[36] and led to a publishing contract and advance for a book about race relations,[40] though it evolved into a personal memoir. The manuscript was published in mid-1995 as Dreams from My Father.[40]

From April to October 1992, Obama directed Illinois's Project Vote, a voter registration drive with a staff of ten and 700 volunteers; it achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state, and led to Crain's Chicago Business naming Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be.[41][42]

For twelve years, Obama served as a professor at the University of Chicago Law School teaching constitutional law. He was first classified as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996 and then as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004.[43] He also joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a twelve-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004, with his law license becoming inactive in 2002.[28][44][45]

Obama was a founding member of the board of directors of Public Allies in 1992, resigning before his wife, Michelle, became the founding executive director of Public Allies Chicago in early 1993.[28][46] He served from 1994 to 2002 on the board of directors of the Woods Fund of Chicago, which in 1985 had been the first foundation to fund the Developing Communities Project, and also from 1994 to 2002 on the board of directors of the Joyce Foundation.[28] Obama served on the board of directors of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge from 1995 to 2002, as founding president and chairman of the board of directors from 1995 to 1999.[28] He also served on the board of directors of the Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, the Center for Neighborhood Technology, and the Lugenia Burns Hope Center.[28]

I think the answer is, FUCK NO! First, those men and women are brainwashed. To what extent I do not know, but from what I am told by people in the military, they are brainwashed.

My fucking God.... I don't believe I've seen a bigger piece of shit post than this ever here. You really are a "boo boo." The military is there to protect you with their lives if need be, and you have the utter audacity to call them "BRAIN WASHED." If anyone deserved to have their ass deported, it should be you and anyone that thinks like you. You could walk under a snake and you'd have to reach up to scratch it's belly, you anti American piece of trash.

I would like to see a draft brought back that splits up the weight of military service across all spectrums of our society.

It will never happen under the current group of politicians.

I don't think I've ever agreed with anything you've said since you've been here, but I do agree with this.

And what if all of the filing and office work in the military ran out? Would you pay these folks to just sit around and wait for their service time to run out?

You realy think paper work will run out

Do you want the government to pay a college educated person with a torn ACL an hourly wage for three years to file paperwork?

I guess if everyone has to work in the military, then paperwork won't run out...because you will create the biggest bureaucracy in the history of the world.

Hey, I'll gladly file papers for three years if I will have full medical benefits and pension for the rest of my life!

And if they serve their required time, and are honorably discharged, would they be given full military benefits?

How much would this cost? And how much would it cost our economy and society to have people taken out of the work force during their 20s, just to make sure that everyone had an appreciation of the military efforts?

I'm not sure that I would have any better appreciation of the military if I was given a job filing for three years.

Just wondering...

There you go again looking for what you can get...No No continued benifits unless you are truly disabled or do 30 years.
You must be young to give up a few years while you are 18 to 25 for freedom is not to much to ask and believe me most people in this age group do not make much so it would have little effect on the economy.

Thats my point next war on our soil then you will understand what freedom is ...or lack of

Do you want the government to pay a college educated person with a torn ACL an hourly wage for three years to file paperwork?

I guess if everyone has to work in the military, then paperwork won't run out...because you will create the biggest bureaucracy in the history of the world.

Hey, I'll gladly file papers for three years if I will have full medical benefits and pension for the rest of my life!

Wow something for nothing huh
Truth your very very scared to be in the military..Way it is, ask any
combat vet -- the scared ones die first..
#1 Democrat once said ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country (also a true war hero)

Guess who?????

How long would you want everyone to serve? One year? Three years?
Three years

Two years mandatory military service in the branch of your choice, or where needed. If your found out to be to hiding from serving, then it's two years in prison for you.

Truth your very very scared to be in the military..Way it is, ask any combat vet -- the scared ones die first..

You're right. That's why I didn't join.

Do you have a problem with that?

Are you a combat vet? Seems like you have a chip on your shoulder thinking that you are something special while everone else that wasn't in the military is shit.

I thank you for your service to our country. Now get over it.

I think the answer is, FUCK NO! First, those men and women are brainwashed. To what extent I do not know, but from what I am told by people in the military, they are brainwashed. Just look at the Iraq war. We knew for over a year there were no WMD's and our soldiers were still being told that lie.
No, they are not.

Second of all, we already have a very very hard time finding a good president. So who were our last Presidents? Bush didn't serve, Clinton either, did Reagan? I don't believe so. Maybe he did, but I think of him as an actor.
I don't like Bushy, but being in the TANG is service, whether you like it or not.

Reagan was in the US Army in WWII, he suffered from bad eyesite so he made only training films.

No, the Constitutional requirements in place have served us well for over 200 years. I don't want to change the natural born requirement either.

How in the hell did the constitution allowed for taxation. Did we rebel from British because of taxation?

Forum List

Back