Should Marijuana Be Legalized and Taxed?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized and Taxed?

• Yes

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Depends on the views of the voters.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wolvie20m

Oct 20, 2004
Seattle, Wa
I know this is a mostly Republican board. Tends to be also on the more conservitve board and a friend of mine and me were having a argument. I think it should be legalized and taxed like cigerettes. He says it would promote further drug use. Lets hear some insight from everyone.

wolvie20m said:
I know this is a mostly Republican board. Tends to be also on the more conservitve board and a friend of mine and me were having a argument. I think it should be legalized and taxed like cigerettes. He says it would promote further drug use. Lets hear some insight from everyone.

First off, you would be SURPRISED how many pot smoking "conservatives" there are. I for one definitely think it should be legalized and taxed. I prefer legalization to be like it is in Amsterdam where you can buy small quantities at controlled smoke-shops.

JMHO!

Alaska has it on the ballot this year.....

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6675259

I don't care one way or the other....there is not a single case of a person ever smoking themselves to death with pot.....unlike the legal use of alcohol.

Neither is good for you, and both can be abused. I would think that it would not be a very good revenue source, since it an be grown at home, although government taxed pot could provide some measure of revenue....maybe should go to the retirement package for John Kerry.

lol....you can also grow your own tobacco, I don't know many smokers who do that. If it were legalized I would be interested to see how many people accentually grow it, come on their pot heads lazy is one of their characteristics.

Did you know that marijuana was actually legal in the US untill around the 1920's it was also legal to use cocaine.

Both of these were lumped together in a racist argument that a black man high on coke or marijuana would be more apt to attack a white woman, thus the govt banned both.

Now I can see someone on coke starting trouble but marijuana??? Give me break. I dont think you could get the energy to move off the sofa to except maybe for a snack.

Shoud it be legal "HELL YAAA"

It has been proven time and time again that marijuana is not a "gateway" drug like some would have you believe. Alcohol is more addictive and harmful. Some say marijuana use has a higher lung cancer rate than cigaretts this is probably true due to no filter on the joints.
:banana:

Yea I had that arguement also. How many drunk drivers kill people every year? 1500 between Thanksgiving and New Years Day.(2003) 1500!!! Thats more then the troops we've lost in Iraq, and THIER TRYING TO KILL US!! Ok I tried to look up death driving accidents linked to marijuana, couldn't find one. Now what seems to be the problem here. I need to get in to politics and change this, cause I think everyone without a stick up thier ass knows it's goning to do us more good then harm if legalized.

Pot is never going to do you any GOOD, my friend...it is still mind and or mood altering substance.....

Now to the bigger question....how would you treat all those locked up behind prison bars for marijuana related offenses? Would you pardon them all, with the knowledge that there would be no reparations? That is the bigger financial issue, if you want to look at the big picture.

Fmr jarhead said:
Pot is never going to do you any GOOD, my friend...it is still mind and or mood altering substance.....

Now to the bigger question....how would you treat all those locked up behind prison bars for marijuana related offenses? Would you pardon them all, with the knowledge that there would be no reparations? That is the bigger financial issue, if you want to look at the big picture.

In 2000, we had an initiative on the ballot here to legalize mj. At first, the NCOPS (the Nevada Coalition of Police) endorsed the initiative saying that it would save them thousands of man hours now dedicated to processing folks for possession of minor amounts of mj which took police off the streets. They later reversed their endorsement under pressure.

Yes I would pardon them, you know the Avg. person in jail for a non-violent drug possession gets 6.8 years, the Avg. Violent offender 5.7. Violent offender meaning Assault, Rape, Manslaughter. So you want to get into discussion of it saving us millions in court costs, and incarceration for these people. Any other objections Jar Head I agree maybe it's not the best for you, but neither is alcohol and we advertise to drink constantly. I'll try and pin down a number how much is spent on the War on Marijuana each year, and how much is spent on imprisoning them.

Marijuana shoul never be legalized!!!!!! It would lead to much more drug use which is already a problem. :firing: :firing: :firing: Besides, 5 joints are a hundred times more carcinogenic than 50 regular cigs.

:bsflag:

TheEnemyWithin

rtwngAvngr said:
Like you don't have one already!

Yeah, didn't you know, jim keeps a sack of potatoes by his bed!!!! that or a couple empty cans of coke!!!!! :gross2:

Personally, I don't think it should be legal - think of all high driving, there are too many idiots that don't know how to drive as it is, you think being high will help? It would make it too easy for kids to get a hold of it and I really don't want my kids getting high! Can't sit and say I haven't done it myself, but making it legal is then too tempting for kids to turn to drugs!

wolvie20m said:

Look at the vote count...Lesson one..don't stereotype Republicans.
Legalize it.

janeeng said:
Personally, I don't think it should be legal - think of all high driving, there are too many idiots that don't know how to drive as it is, you think being high will help?
No I don't think it will help, but I know it won't hurt.

I used to do both when I was 16 I found it was easier getting pot then a pack of smokes, though I had to quit both. Driving high is only speculation no proof.

It would make it too easy for kids to get a hold of it and I really don't want my kids getting high!

I disagree if pot was legalized there would be less trafficing from person to person, the age limit should be the same 18. So kids would have to do the same as with cigerttes find someone 18 willing to buy it. So anything else people?

wolvie20m said:
No I don't think it will help, but I know it won't hurt.

I used to do both when I was 16 I found it was easier getting pot then a pack of smokes, though I had to quit both. Driving high is only speculation no proof.

I disagree if pot was legalized there would be less trafficing from person to person, the age limit should be the same 18. So kids would have to do the same as with cigerttes find someone 18 willing to buy it. So anything else people?

Pot is an unhealthy and artificial means to alter one's state of consciousness. Using it inhibits ones' abiltity to find and use other healthy methods

TheEnemyWithin said:
It would lead to much more drug use which is already a problem. :firing: :firing: :firing: Besides, 5 joints are a hundred times more carcinogenic than 50 regular cigs.

:

TheEnemyWithin

1. marijuana has been proven time and time again that it is not a gateway drug to others... It is acually non-addictive unlike legalized alcohol and tobacco.

2. The reason a joint is more carinogenic is due to the simple fact of no filter. If you were to remove the filters on all cig's you would have the same level......Better yet put filters on joints and bring them down!!!!!

dilloduck said:
Pot is an unhealthy and artificial means to alter one's state of consciousness. Using it inhibits ones' abiltity to find and use other healthy methods

So can alchol, but I don't think it should be illegal. I think the positves out weigh the negitives by far. Not saying that it won't have it's problems, but it will reduce many things costs and such.

Forum List

Back