Should Marijuana Be Legalized and Taxed?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wolvie20m, Nov 2, 2004.

?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized and Taxed?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Depends on the views of the voters.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I know this is a mostly Republican board. Tends to be also on the more conservitve board and a friend of mine and me were having a argument. I think it should be legalized and taxed like cigerettes. He says it would promote further drug use. Lets hear some insight from everyone.

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    First off, you would be SURPRISED how many pot smoking "conservatives" there are. I for one definitely think it should be legalized and taxed. I prefer legalization to be like it is in Amsterdam where you can buy small quantities at controlled smoke-shops.

JMHO!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You can't regulate and tax it. How can you regulate something you can grow in your basement?

4. Fmr jarhead

Fmr jarhead Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Alaska has it on the ballot this year.....

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6675259

I don't care one way or the other....there is not a single case of a person ever smoking themselves to death with pot.....unlike the legal use of alcohol.

Neither is good for you, and both can be abused. I would think that it would not be a very good revenue source, since it an be grown at home, although government taxed pot could provide some measure of revenue....maybe should go to the retirement package for John Kerry.

5. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    lol....you can also grow your own tobacco, I don't know many smokers who do that. If it were legalized I would be interested to see how many people accentually grow it, come on their pot heads lazy is one of their characteristics.

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Legalization would be awesome! I'd buy me a bong tomorrow if it were legal! :)

7. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Did you know that marijuana was actually legal in the US untill around the 1920's it was also legal to use cocaine.

Both of these were lumped together in a racist argument that a black man high on coke or marijuana would be more apt to attack a white woman, thus the govt banned both.

Now I can see someone on coke starting trouble but marijuana??? Give me break. I dont think you could get the energy to move off the sofa to except maybe for a snack.

Shoud it be legal "HELL YAAA"

It has been proven time and time again that marijuana is not a "gateway" drug like some would have you believe. Alcohol is more addictive and harmful. Some say marijuana use has a higher lung cancer rate than cigaretts this is probably true due to no filter on the joints.
    :banana:

8. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yea I had that arguement also. How many drunk drivers kill people every year? 1500 between Thanksgiving and New Years Day.(2003) 1500!!! Thats more then the troops we've lost in Iraq, and THIER TRYING TO KILL US!! Ok I tried to look up death driving accidents linked to marijuana, couldn't find one. Now what seems to be the problem here. I need to get in to politics and change this, cause I think everyone without a stick up thier ass knows it's goning to do us more good then harm if legalized.

9. Fmr jarhead

Fmr jarhead Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Pot is never going to do you any GOOD, my friend...it is still mind and or mood altering substance.....

Now to the bigger question....how would you treat all those locked up behind prison bars for marijuana related offenses? Would you pardon them all, with the knowledge that there would be no reparations? That is the bigger financial issue, if you want to look at the big picture.

10. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    In 2000, we had an initiative on the ballot here to legalize mj. At first, the NCOPS (the Nevada Coalition of Police) endorsed the initiative saying that it would save them thousands of man hours now dedicated to processing folks for possession of minor amounts of mj which took police off the streets. They later reversed their endorsement under pressure.