Should "IQ" Be a Dirty Word?

Someone who can answer this question may be considered to have a high IQ

riq3.png

But someone who can figure out why a car keeps stalling is not considered high IQ
I would say the person that can diagnose why a car keeps stalling....and other car malfunctions is pretty smart. However, that ability often comes with experience. I think the answer to the question above is #5, but I have a lot of experience at taking test and recognizing patterns.
Agree, I have always done well on IQ tests and would have answered 5
But while I can correctly answer these obscure IQ questions, I am unable to figure out why my car has been stalling.

Someone in Africa may fail miserably at these types of IQ tests but can tell you how to survive in extreme drought conditions
IQ is not the same as wisdom. They were taught how to survive in extreme drought conditions. IQ can't be taught.

It's actually arguable that IQ can be taught, at least to an extent. I've read some articles/research that people with more education have higher IQs. For example: Study: More Education Increases IQ Score

While it's not directly teaching IQ, being taught may raise IQ test scores.

riq3.png

But someone who can figure out why a car keeps stalling is not considered high IQ
I would say the person that can diagnose why a car keeps stalling....and other car malfunctions is pretty smart. However, that ability often comes with experience. I think the answer to the question above is #5, but I have a lot of experience at taking test and recognizing patterns.
But while I can correctly answer these obscure IQ questions, I am unable to figure out why my car has been stalling.

Someone in Africa may fail miserably at these types of IQ tests but can tell you how to survive in extreme drought conditions
IQ is not the same as wisdom. They were taught how to survive in extreme drought conditions. IQ can't be taught.

It's actually arguable that IQ can be taught, at least to an extent. I've read some articles/research that people with more education have higher IQs. For example: Study: More Education Increases IQ Score

The most important skill they teach you in school is how to learn. IQ tests your ability to learn new stuff.

riq3.png

The most important skill they teach you in school is how to learn. IQ tests your ability to learn new stuff.
Yeah but some schools dont teach their students how to learn. Some schools are filled with students wondering where their next meal is coming from or how to avoid the cops and the stray bullets in their neighborhoods.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

riq3.png

To me #5 only makes sense if you dismiss the top 2 lines since they dont display the same pattern. What is it about discarding previous information that makes you have a high IQ? My first instinct would be to pick #4 since it retains the precedent set by the first 2 rows.

Surviving in a drought is something learned which would indicate intelligence but at what level?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

riq3.png

Since they were taught that means they had intelligence since thats what IQ is. The ability to learn. Now you need to put an arbitrary number to that learned information in order to find the value of that intelligence.

It isn't clear what the motivation here is, but people are ignoring the vast accumulation of solid evidence for intelligence tests indicating capacity to function well in our world. What is wrong with that? The problem in society is that those with elevated intelligence use it, unwisely, in the exploitation of others. We need to understand the capacities of our sisters and brothers and help them find their most satisfying place while also protecting the less gifted from the most.

We need to require IQ tests for our presidents

And if Trump scores higher than Obama will you accept it or reject it and claim the test is racist?

If Trump scores higher than Hillary would you accept it or proclaim the test is sexist?

My point?

Someone with a high IQ but with no commonsense is still a idiot because with all that intelligence they lack the sense to apply it to daily life...

We need to require IQ tests for our presidents

And if Trump scores higher than Obama will you accept it or reject it and claim the test is racist?

If Trump scores higher than Hillary would you accept it or proclaim the test is sexist?

My point?

Someone with a high IQ but with no commonsense is still a idiot because with all that intelligence they lack the sense to apply it to daily life...

But Trump probably didn't. And even worse, he has no common sense.

In today's academic climate, anyone using the words "IQ" and "race" in the same sentence is presumed to be a racist.

But what if we removed the "race" element completely? What if we examined how kids are doing in comparison with their relative IQ's, ignoring race altogether?

What if "failing" schools are not failing because of the race of the majority of students, but because of the average IQ of the students? Looking at it that way, the focus would be to identify the students in those schools with the greatest potential, and see that they have the opportunity to succeed according the their abilities. As for the remainkng students, the curriculum could be tailored to their strengths and weaknesses, without fretting about whether their average test scores fall below state-wide averages. Who cares?

Take race out of the discussion. Stop reporting scores by race; there is nothing to be gained by it.

State tests don't/can't determine IQ. They don't show a lot of things.

In a perfect world, any class curriculum is split up different ways to meet the needs of those at the top, middle and bottom but there isn't any time for that.

In a really perfect world, Gardner's multiple intelligence theory would be implemented. It's been most successful.
Gardner's Multiple Intelligences

You have to make a choice, you either want the kids to understand the material or you just want to hand a bunch of cash over to a testing company that doesn't give you anything in return EXCEPT the faux privatization of the education system.

Lets make something clear. IQ tests don't mean shit. It's just that simple. We here discussing IQ because some white retard wants to talk shit about some fake ass white superiority in intelligence based on a 4 hour test taken once a year. I've have known some very smart people in my life who could barely read. But I saw them in front of a city council and watched them chew up attorneys.

I've seen so called low IQ men and women destroy Ph.D's and so called scholars. So fuck an IQ test.

Lets make something clear. IQ tests don't mean shit. It's just that simple. We here discussing IQ because some white retard wants to talk shit about some fake ass white superiority in intelligence based on a 4 hour test taken once a year. I've have known some very smart people in my life who could barely read. But I saw them in front of a city council and watched them chew up attorneys.

I've seen so called low IQ men and women destroy Ph.D's and so called scholars. So fuck an IQ test.

You can test for it but it takes into account things like processing, aptitude and scoring in different areas to arrive at an IQ. There is no cookie cutter IQ test that can be administered in any school (or online) to determine an individual's full scale iq.

The type of testing referred to in the OP serves only one purpose and that is to justify a preconceived conclusion. Americans love numbers and graphs and statistics. People have been so trained over generations to look at whatever is being presented as unbiased (by experts) that they don't recognize it as dehumanization.

Attacking these tests is merely shooting the messenger. The problem is not the result of the tests (which have been amply confirmed). Any problems relate to mis-applying the evidence, or not applying it at all.
There are relatively small statistical differences between groups. We can look at that frankly or not, but the facts are there.

Attacking these tests is merely shooting the messenger. The problem is not the result of the tests (which have been amply confirmed). Any problems relate to mis-applying the evidence, or not applying it at all.
There are relatively small statistical differences between groups. We can look at that frankly or not, but the facts are there.

So............ they are admissible in a court? If not, why not?

riq3.png

I’m not so sure

These types of tests measure how good you are at performing those types of tasks

I think only extremely low IQ is admissible

I think only extremely low IQ is admissible

Can the tests referred to in the op be used to determine that?

Mensa puts a lot of stock in their IQ test. I tested 113 on their test and 148 on the eighth grade test back in the 70's. High IQ people do well on Jeopardy.

Forum List

Back