Should Green-Cards be hired before citizens?

Should citizens be allowed to "bump" non-citizens?

• Yes - citizens should have a right to jobs

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No - employers should be allowed to hire who they want

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Number of hours worked per week is one. Number of months off on vacation is another.

I disagree... completely.

Number of hours spent on the clock has nothing to do with how hard you're working during that time. I know people that show up at 7am and work until 8pm and still manage to not do shit.

They do more than people in other countries.

Again, I don't know how you would go about quantifying that.

I say no. Jobs are not a public welfare controlled by the government, yet. This would be a serious infringement on an employer's rights where they aren't even allowed to determine who their employees will be.

You're not considering the tax base. Aliens don't pay the same taxes as citizens. The government needs to pay down the deficit. Employers need to hire qualified citizens first.

Wrong. Resident aliens pay all the taxes just as citizens do.

If we've given someone a green card, then they assume the same obligation and should receive the same protections as native born citizens. Illegal immigrants are a whole different story.
I don't think that anyone legally here should have to give up their job just because some else wants it, but I do think that as long as jobs are in such short supply that we should limit immigration for awhile. There is no point in bringing more people in when we can't provide jobs for those already here.

Look up Hb-1 Visas and talk to the employers.

I bolded the salient point for you because I think you missed it. H1b visa programs were fine when we were at almost full employment. They should be curtailed ( that means "limited" Barb ) until the overall job market improves but in no way should we kick green card holders out of their jobs or restrict employment to current ( that means "those that are already here" Barb) green card holders in order to give that job to a native born. Those that went through the process of immigration legally shouldn't be discriminated against. You don't change the rules in the middle of the game.

If we've given someone a green card, then they assume the same obligation and should receive the same protections as native born citizens. Illegal immigrants are a whole different story.
I don't think that anyone legally here should have to give up their job just because some else wants it, but I do think that as long as jobs are in such short supply that we should limit immigration for awhile. There is no point in bringing more people in when we can't provide jobs for those already here.

That's interesting. My first time here I came in on a 36 month H1B.

And honestly, I have nothing against you, just as I have nothing against those who, because of a paperwork deficiency, are labeled "illegal." It is employers that (not who, because corporations are not people no matter what Bancroft Davis inserted in a Supreme Court brief on 14th Amendment person hood rights) claim that there are no qualified Americans available to fill the positions they seek the Visas for. Corporations do this to drive unemployment up and wages and benefits down. Meanwhile many are taken advantage of. I think we should have a completely open system, and that all workers should be afforded the labor protections, including the right to join a union, that American citizens do.

I bolded the salient point for you because I think you missed it. H1b visa programs were fine when we were at almost full employment. They should be curtailed ( that means "limited" Barb ) until the overall job market improves but in no way should we kick green card holders out of their jobs or restrict employment to current ( that means "those that are already here" Barb) green card holders in order to give that job to a native born. Those that went through the process of immigration legally shouldn't be discriminated against. You don't change the rules in the middle of the game.

My point, dear, is that they are still applying for them. USCIS - Cap Count for H-1B, H-2B and H-3 Workers for Fiscal Year 2010

Social Security (OASDI) and Medicare
Nonresident aliens holding F-1 or J-1 visas are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

I won't call you a liar, but there are significant tax differences.

neither of those are green cards. i won't call you stupid, but there are significant differences.
Green Card Application

People who come here on temporary visas shouldn't pay into social security or medicare because they leave and never receive the benefits from their contributions.

there benefits are being allowed to work here.

My point, dear, is that they are still applying for them. USCIS - Cap Count for H-1B, H-2B and H-3 Workers for Fiscal Year 2010

You should talk to Barack about that. He has the power you know. :eusa_whistle:

I wouldnt go so far as bumping a green card holder from a job they already hold but I would say Citizens should get preference over immigrants regarding new hires.

I wouldnt go so far as bumping a green card holder from a job they already hold but I would say Citizens should get preference over immigrants regarding new hires.

Does that mean you would merely hope that employers give them preference or that you would support legislation forcing preference?

well, if someone is here on a work visa, they have already proven, to the satisfaction of immigration that their skills and/or services are sufficiently unique so as to not be competing with someone already here.

and if someone is here legally, they should be able to work like everyone else.

but near as i can tell, the anti-immigrant types on this board are so economically insecure that they don't feel they can compete with anyone else for even the lowliest of jobs; or are so racist that they think only "true Americans" (whatever that is) should be here and have jobs.

well, this granddaughter of immigrants thinks they can stuff it.

just sayin'

Does that mean you would merely hope that employers give them preference or that you would support legislation forcing preference?

I would support legislation forcing preference to American citizens regarding jobs in the United States with Veterans getting priority.

:eusa_think:

I wonder how many people in this thread that think we should be more like France also support socialized healthcare?

well, if someone is here on a work visa, they have already proven, to the satisfaction of immigration that their skills and/or services are sufficiently unique so as to not be competing with someone already here.

but near as i can tell, the anti-immigrant types on this board are so economically insecure that they don't feel they can compete with anyone else for even the lowliest of jobs; or are so racist that they think only "true Americans" (whatever that is) should be here and have jobs.

just sayin'

I am a blue collar Joe, I have many friends who could use good jobs, a good job that pays relatively well and has good benefits here in NYC is doorman/porter yet you go to a building on Park avenue and these type of jobs are pretty much all taken by immigrants, these jobs do not require special skills that American workers do not have, and in a country as large as this one you can find someone with the skills necessary for the more technical jobs or you can train a citizen to do such a job, with so many Americans out of work we should take care of our own first.

just sayin'

I am a blue collar Joe, I have many friends who could use good jobs, a good job that pays relatively well and has good benefits here in NYC is doorman/porter yet you go to a building on Park avenue and these type of jobs are pretty much all taken by immigrants, these jobs do not require special skills that American workers do not have, and in a country as large as this one you can find someone with the skills necessary for the more technical jobs or you can train a citizen to do such a job, with so many Americans out of work we should take care of our own first.

the same people who call you racist when you complain about illegals sucking up the jobs the unemployed Americans can't get are the same fuckers who will call you Un American if you buy products made overseas.. go figure

they are americans if they're here legally. how many of those immigrants work two jobs to make a life for their families here? how many of them have earned their citizenship? how many of them are puerto rican and are, essentially, citizens?

you think because someone has an accent they should come after you? there is no question that doormen often get their jobs through referrals, which often leads to homogeneity. but that's true of other fields, too.

i live in nyc, too... and my husband spent a lot of time looking for a good job after he had to leave his old one because he got allergic to what he was working with. and where i live, i'm surrounded by russian immigrants... i go a few miles away and it's asian, indian, pakistani, israeli, etc... all with stores next to each other. instead of feeling threatened by it, i marvel at it.

i understand what you're saying... but either way we "take care of" everyone who resides here. if people are here legally, working their butts off and paying taxes, they should get jobs their qualified for.

and FWIW, i don't know what the racial/ethnic composition of 32B-J is.

I really understand what you're saying. but i don't know what the answer is....

Last edited:

just sayin'

the same people who call you racist when you complain about illegals sucking up the jobs the unemployed Americans can't get are the same fuckers who will call you Un American if you buy products made overseas.. go figure

The people I mention are here legally and I dont blame anybody for taking a job they can get, I blame the powers that be that do the hiring, as far as illegals go make it difficult for employers to hire them(fines, criminal charges) and that problem will lessen,I dont blame illegals coming here to escape poverty, if I had to feed my family I would cross the border too if someone was willing to hire me.

Ignorant and/or lying twat rep. :thup:

just sayin'

He's talking about legal, not illegal immigrants.

Forum List

Back