Should Green-Cards be hired before citizens?

Should citizens be allowed to "bump" non-citizens?

• Yes - citizens should have a right to jobs

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No - employers should be allowed to hire who they want

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It depends on which country you're from and your status. We pay state taxes, city taxes, property taxes, school taxes, SS tax, Medicare tax, etc. Non-citizens don't pay all the taxes we pay, especially if they are from a treaty country. I'd like to follow the French model as explained on a previous post...
Non-Resident Aliens main page

I pay state taxes, city taxes, property taxes, school taxes, SS tax, Medicare tax, etc. There is no taxes that Americans pay that I don't pay.

I just got a neg rep from WillowTree because of my post above.

Obviously she has never had to be a supervisor over american workers; especially minority (and I use the term loosely) "workers"

They just want to collect a check. They bitch and moan about everything. Do the least amount of work that they can get away with. And are always looking for a way to sue the company over anything. Showing up on time is seen by them to be an inconvenience and calling in sick is mandatory. :doubt:

it's a poor workman who blames his tools.

I got this on the net:
A STUDY AND CRITIQUE OF WHY THE RACE WAS LOST.

A Japanese company (Toyota ) and an American company (Ford) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.
Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information,
but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents, and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners, and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes, and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices, and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment.

The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses

and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, The End.

Author Unknown, but we’re pretty sure it wasn’t management

the sad thing is, it's pretty close to true, imo. thanks.

It depends on which country you're from and your status. We pay state taxes, city taxes, property taxes, school taxes, SS tax, Medicare tax, etc. Non-citizens don't pay all the taxes we pay, especially if they are from a treaty country. I'd like to follow the French model as explained on a previous post...

I pay state taxes, city taxes, property taxes, school taxes, SS tax, Medicare tax, etc. There is no taxes that Americans pay that I don't pay.

Social Security (OASDI) and Medicare
Nonresident aliens holding F-1 or J-1 visas are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

I won't call you a liar, but there are significant tax differences.

Nonresident aliens holding F-1 or J-1 visas are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

I won't call you an idiot, but if you don't pay into Social Security or Medicare, you don't receive the benefits from the government pension plan nor the elderly retirement healthcare insurance.

And BTW, the way social security works, if I pay into it for 9 years and 11 months then leave, I don't receive any benefits from the pension plan to which I have contributed. It is like if you paid into an IRA then suddenly it was gone.

Last edited:

neither of those are green cards. i won't call you stupid, but there are significant differences.
http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/greencard.html

What he said.

it's a poor workman who blames his tools.

I got this on the net:
A STUDY AND CRITIQUE OF WHY THE RACE WAS LOST.

A Japanese company (Toyota ) and an American company (Ford) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.
Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information,
but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents, and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners, and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes, and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices, and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment.

The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses

and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, The End.

Author Unknown, but we’re pretty sure it wasn’t management

the sad thing is, it's pretty close to true, imo. thanks.

Everyone at work loved it. I see people getting their hours cut in every department, customer service slipping (in the freaking service industry), while the people with clipboards are not only fully employed, but hired as the workers are cut to nothing.

My father owned a smallish business while he was alive. When business was bad, we ate fried bologna sandwiches. Every year when the slow season came, he took out a loan to cover payroll. He said that those men put the food on OUR table, and he'd be damned if he wouldn't make sure they would be able to feed their own. Oddly enough he loved Reagan, and hated unions. He just didn't understand that everyone wasn't like him. Damned few of his kind left in the world.

neither of those are green cards. i won't call you stupid, but there are significant differences.
Green Card Application

People who come here on temporary visas shouldn't pay into social security or medicare because they leave and never receive the benefits from their contributions.

I won't call you an idiot, but if you don't pay into Social Security or Medicare, you don't receive the benefits from the government pension plan nor the elderly retirement healthcare insurance.

And BTW, the way social security works, if I pay into it for 9 years and 11 months then leave, I don't receive any benefits from the pension plan to which I have contributed. It is like if you paid into an IRA then suddenly it was gone.

Absolutely right.

Green Card Application

People who come here on temporary visas shouldn't pay into social security or medicare because they leave and never receive the benefits from their contributions.

exactly.

If we've given someone a green card, then they assume the same obligation and should receive the same protections as native born citizens. Illegal immigrants are a whole different story.
I don't think that anyone legally here should have to give up their job just because some else wants it, but I do think that as long as jobs are in such short supply that we should limit immigration for awhile. There is no point in bringing more people in when we can't provide jobs for those already here.

Americans are the hardest working people in the world.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I just don't know how anyone can quantify that.

Number of hours worked per week is one. Number of months off on vacation is another.

I disagree... completely.

Number of hours spent on the clock has nothing to do with how hard you're working during that time. I know people that show up at 7am and work until 8pm and still manage to not do shit.

If we've given someone a green card, then they assume the same obligation and should receive the same protections as native born citizens. Illegal immigrants are a whole different story.
I don't think that anyone legally here should have to give up their job just because some else wants it, but I do think that as long as jobs are in such short supply that we should limit immigration for awhile. There is no point in bringing more people in when we can't provide jobs for those already here.

Look up Hb-1 Visas and talk to the employers.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I just don't know how anyone can quantify that.

Number of hours worked per week is one. Number of months off on vacation is another.

I disagree... completely.

Number of hours spent on the clock has nothing to do with how hard you're working during that time. I know people that show up at 7am and work until 8pm and still manage to not do shit.

They do more than people in other countries.

Look up Hb-1 Visas and talk to the employers.

That's interesting. My first time here I came in on a 36 month H1B.

Forum List

Back