Should Green-Cards be hired before citizens?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kyzr, Dec 4, 2009.

?

Should citizens be allowed to "bump" non-citizens?

1. Yes - citizens should have a right to jobs

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. No - employers should be allowed to hire who they want

23 vote(s)
    79.3%
  3. No opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630
    There are hundreds of thousands of aliens on visas and green-cards employed ahead of US citizens. I want to see a clearing house where a qualified citizen can "bump" an alien for a job in his area and field. Similar to union seniority rules. This link is old, but shows about how many non-citizens were working here while unemployment goes to 11%
    Office of Immigration Statistics Releases Report for January 2005 - March 15, 2005

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Screaming Eagle

Screaming Eagle Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I say no. Jobs are not a public welfare controlled by the government, yet. This would be a serious infringement on an employer's rights where they aren't even allowed to determine who their employees will be.

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,703
    I agree. or the country of the aliens origin should pay the US citizen unemployment benefits. either way works for me.

4. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630
    You're not considering the tax base. Aliens don't pay the same taxes as citizens. The government needs to pay down the deficit. Employers need to hire qualified citizens first.

5. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    If you hire an alien, you will most likely get a hard worker who shows up every day ready to work.

If you hire an american, especially a minority, you'll basically get a lazy slob with an attitude who shows up late half the time.

6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    I think all of the aliens, legal and illegal alike, should not be employed in the US with the current high rate of unemployment. Send them all packing back to where they came from - especially the illegal ones.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    I did not answer the Poll because the first question is: "citizens should have a right to jobs"

Well, citizens already have the 'right' to have jobs" What I would have probably said in the poll would be something like "Should US Citizens have a job preference First"?

Maybe like in say, France, the French citizen is always hired BEFORE anyone else in a French business. AND, if say a U.S. citizen is hired for a job in France, and a French citizen is in the market for THAT job, the U.S. citizen or any other, is let go, in favor of France's citizens.
    The French Citizen comes FIRST.

That is the way it should be in the USA, however, many U.S. citizens are too damn whatever to take many of the jobs, then bitch about 'foreigners taking those jobs. So the end result is, tough. Don't bitch about others taking the job that 'you' wouldn't take anyway. In my working days, I was a supervisor and without any hesitation, I can tell anyone that those I personally worked with, Saudis, Palestinians, Latino, and others, worked for the most part without any complaining at all, and performed very well. The U.S. citizen,many not all, and sad to say,bitched and moaned on just about every job that came along, while trying to take the 'short cut' in many tasks.

So, that puts a crimp in this question of whom should be hired first in the USA job market doesn't it?
    Maybe with our unemployment rate being so high, many will change their minds on just which jobs they will perform.
    Hopefully that will happen and reduce our unemployment numbers.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  8. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Can you tell me what taxes you pay (as a U.S. Citizen, I presume) that I (a green card holder) do not?

9. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    none.

10. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Interesting.

I went through the lengthy and complex immigration process, paid all the fees, had the background checks, had the interview, had all the medical tests, and on that basis was granted a green card.

I pay my taxes, have no criminal record, own my own home, own my own business and live here legally as the husband of a US citizen with 2 dual citizen children.

But you (I'm assuming based on what you posted - please correct me if I'm wrong) would force me to go back to Britain and take my wife and children with me, or get a divorce and then fuck off home on my own. Even if allowed to stay, you think I should not be allowed to work.

You won't be surprised to hear that I think those options are a little unfair.