Should Fleeing Motorcylists in High-Speed Chases Be Shot By Police ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
To answer the question of the OP title, perhaps we should evaluate the cost/benefit analysis of it. If cops don't shoot the jerk, rampaging through traffic at 100 MPH (or even at much lesser speeds), then a number of motorists might get killed, or badly injured. At some points in a high speed chase, the motorcylist may have full control of his vehicle (as on straightaways where traffic is absent). But as soon as he gets into traffic, everyone there is at huge risk.

Question is why ? Why should law abiding drivers have their lives jeopardized, when they could be protected just by having the cops blast this loon right off his vehicle, when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic ? Shouldn't we take action to protect the public, and if the motorcycle criminal fool dies, from being shot, wouldn't that cop who shot him have done us all a favor ? (other than the guy who has to come along and clean up the mess)

I say blast him. :drillsergeant: :Boom2: :evil: :blowup:

You are presuming that officers of the law possess sharp shooter ability.
On Long Island, where officers are hired based on nepotism, I would hesitate to encourage such behavior.

Give some statistics to support your proposal. How many people (aside from the driver) have been killed by high speed motorcycles? Not many?

Give some statistics to support your proposal. How many people (aside from the driver) have been killed by high speed motorcycles? Not many?

Another stat freak huh? Why ? Is common sense not good enough ? Even if the statistic were zero, a high speed chase mc loon could kill a lot of people tomorrow. You don't get that ? Stats unecessary.

Last edited:
This isn't grand theft auto people. Aiming from a moving vehicle is hard, trust me.

A guy on a motorcycle, out in the open, is an open target. I don't think it would be too hard to hit him. Nah. Troops in Afghanistan do it every day. In World War II, 50 Russian ROTC girls 19 years old, with less than 3 months training, flew fighter planes, and knocked over 200 Luftwaffe planes out of the sky. And those planes were moving faster than any motorcycle.

As long as there's no chance for collateral damage, where the mc is riding past undeveloped land (like in a Caught on Camera show I just saw), I say go for it.

To answer the question of the OP title, perhaps we should evaluate the cost/benefit analysis of it. If cops don't shoot the jerk, rampaging through traffic at 100 MPH (or even at much lesser speeds), then a number of motorists might get killed, or badly injured. At some points in a high speed chase, the motorcylist may have full control of his vehicle (as on straightaways where traffic is absent). But as soon as he gets into traffic, everyone there is at huge risk.

Question is why ? Why should law abiding drivers have their lives jeopardized, when they could be protected just by having the cops blast this loon right off his vehicle, when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic ? Shouldn't we take action to protect the public, and if the motorcycle criminal fool dies, from being shot, wouldn't that cop who shot him have done us all a favor ? (other than the guy who has to come along and clean up the mess)

If cops shoot the jerk, rampaging through traffic at 100 MPH (or even at much lesser speeds), then a number of motorists might get killed, or badly injured.

hmm, not as simple as your mind

I would agree to shooting them if cops could guarantee what is impossible

Another stat freak huh? Why ? Is common sense not good enough ? Even if the statistic were zero, a high speed chase mc loon could kill a lot of people tomorrow. You don't get that ? Stats unecessary.

Common sense is good but if you want the authorization to put a pill in a guy on a bike you need more than anecdotal pop stupidness.

If cops shoot the jerk, rampaging through traffic at 100 MPH (or even at much lesser speeds), then a number of motorists might get killed, or badly injured.

hmm, not as simple as your mind

I would agree to shooting them if cops could guarantee what is impossible

That was covered/answered on the OP. Try reading it a bit slower.

You haven't thought this out very well, but then, you're kind of stupid, so.....

Common sense is good but if you want the authorization to put a pill in a guy on a bike you need more than anecdotal pop stupidness.

Well, you already HAVE more than anecdotal pop stupidness. You have common sense and intelligence. Shoot the guy when it won't harm someone else, before he harms someone else. Get it ?

You haven't thought this out very well, but then, you're kind of stupid, so.....

I have thought it out quite well, as you fail to see, revealing you to be the stupidity possessor. If you feel like you must display that, so be it. :eusa_whistle:

Shoot him, don't shoot him?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urgQKNMdTQM]Motorcycle Runs From Police In Wheelie Cops Chase Stunt Bike ROC Ride Of The Century Blox Starz TV - YouTube[/ame]

Shoot him, don't shoot him?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCA8JM2bRPk]Wildest Police Chase with Motorcycle, Cop Crashes - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back