Should DUI be part of criminal background check for gun purchase?

I

Drunk drivers are a direct threat to the innocent, and should face serious punishment on the second offence!

Why second offense?. I say throw the book at these psychos right from the start.

Studies have shown that driving while sleepy can net the same results as driving under the influence. So I guess by the measures that everyone in this thread is using, anyone who's ever driven when tired should be prohibited from owning a gun too....

Dumb thread is dumb
The thrust of this thread seems to be that if they take gun rights from those who have been caught with drugs, they should do so with drunk drivers. Your right, a felony is a felony, and the law needs to be changed. That process may be here now in it's incipience, as discussion is the prelude to change; I don't think it's a stupid thread.

Dui indicates poor judgment not criminal intent.

Christ some people on this board are extreme in every aspect of life

Crawl back under your rock you loony lib. They CHOSE to break the law and drive drunk so don't tell us there is no criminal intent.

You just don't want to admit that you drive drunk and that makes you a public menace and undeserving of gun rights.

Right now, without democrat changes.

Felons cannot legally possess a gun. A drunk driving conviction if a felony, means that the drunk driver cannot legally possess a gun.

Yes we know that. But DUI is seldom charged as a felony. That needs to change.

Studies have shown that driving while sleepy can net the same results as driving under the influence. So I guess by the measures that everyone in this thread is using, anyone who's ever driven when tired should be prohibited from owning a gun too....

Dumb thread is dumb

Can you think at all?. There is no way to test for tiredness. There is for drunkenness.

Crawl back under your rock you loony lib. They CHOSE to break the law and drive drunk so don't tell us there is no criminal intent.

You just don't want to admit that you drive drunk and that makes you a public menace and undeserving of gun rights.

I'm a felon dumbass. I don't posess guns. And I don't drink more than 3 drinks if I have to drive. And if you think I'm a lib your judgement is severely flawed.

Felons cannot legally possess a gun. A drunk driving conviction if a felony, means that the drunk driver cannot legally possess a gun.

In most states the third DUI is a felony. There are factors that can make the first DUI a felony such as being in a traffic collision and injures someone other than himself.

I think your made-up facts are wrong.

Dumb thread is dumb

Can you think at all?. There is no way to test for tiredness. There is for drunkenness.

Driving drowsy as dangerous as driving drunk, studies show ? The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Suck it troll

In most states the third DUI is a felony. There are factors that can make the first DUI a felony such as being in a traffic collision and injures someone other than himself.

I didn't make up shit. I clearly said it depends on circumstances. Which is exactly what you said.

Edit: Just noticed you werent talking to me. My mistake

Last edited:
Of course. Hell - People are routinely denied gun rights for NON-violent drug crimes like a 20 year old pot possession conviction. DUI is an extremely violent drug crime and evidence the criminal is a psychopath with no concern for the lives of others.

i think someone convicted of DUI probably shouldn't be handed a weapon. so i don't really disagree with you.

Most DUI convictions come with a period (usually three years) of probation - in CA the first year is supervised and if the probationer completes a drinking driver program the final two on court probation. Seems a three year prohibition on a first offense is sufficient since a background check will (or should be) conducted before the offender's probation is terminated. Second and subsequent DUI's ought to be wobbler's, that is, allowing the prosecutor to decide whether the second offense is a felony or a misdemeanor.

BTW, a DUI with injury is always a felony but the court can set aside the felony and allow the defendant to plea to the lesser included charge.

Last edited:
[

I don't see why a misdemeanor infraction should keep you from legally owning a firearm.

Felons are already prohibited.

You don't even know what a felony is. Do some research and get back with us.

I was convicted of a felony in 1979, so don't tell me what I do or do not know.

In the state of Texas a DUI or DWI is a class B misdemeanor for the first offense. a class A misdemeanor for the second and a third degree felony for the third or more.

I didn't make up shit. I clearly said it depends on circumstances. Which is exactly what you said.

Was I talking to you?

I don't think so.

I was addressing shortspeedos, note the bold text.

For the most part I believe the laws are sufficient. The limit may or may not be right but that's not for me to decide. I mean if the police pulled over everyone that was leaving an eating establishment or wedding gathering our system would be swamped.

Yes it happens but it's rare for DUI by itself to be charged as a felony. All DUIs should be felonies.

I don't believe in coddling killers.

I'm a felon dumbass. I don't posess guns. And I don't drink more than 3 drinks if I have to drive. And if you think I'm a lib your judgement is severely flawed.

You SHOULD NOT be drinking AT ALL if you are going to DRIVE.

PERIOD.

Yes it happens but it's rare for DUI by itself to be charged as a felony. All DUIs should be felonies.

I don't believe in coddling killers.

You have to prove that with some actual statistics.

Your opinion carries no weight and your credibility is slim to none.

You SHOULD NOT be drinking AT ALL if you are going to DRIVE.

PERIOD.

Like you've never done it!

Forum List

Back