Should DUI be part of criminal background check for gun purchase?

Of course not. DUI is still a misdemeanor. It has nothing to do with if you are a person that would be dangerous with a gun.

However, I don't think pot should be illegal, so your argument is doubly wrong.

Disagree. DUI indicates an immature at best and unaware personality at best. Any drug violation reflects on a person's unwillingness to be a safe member of society.

Dui indicates poor judgment not criminal intent.

Christ some people on this board are extreme in every aspect of life

Let's see.

Putting guns into the hands of people with poor judgement.

Why does that not seem like a good idea? :eusa_shifty:

Disagree. DUI indicates an immature at best and unaware personality at best. Any drug violation reflects on a person's unwillingness to be a safe member of society.

Let's see.

Everyone exercises poor judgement at some point in their life so get real.

Right now, without democrat changes.

Felons cannot legally possess a gun. A drunk driving conviction if a felony, means that the drunk driver cannot legally possess a gun.

Of course not. DUI is still a misdemeanor. It has nothing to do with if you are a person that would be dangerous with a gun.

However, I don't think pot should be illegal, so your argument is doubly wrong.

DUI indicates reckless intent - reckless driving is criminal as you are intinually placing people in harm's way!

Hell yes. Any criminal conviction. If you include admitted drug use in the background check the president would not be eligible for a gun permit.

DUI indicates reckless intent - reckless driving is criminal as you are intinually placing people in harm's way!

It indicates reckless intent? Is that why people under the influence try sooo hard to drive carefully to prove to themselves that they aren't impaired? Sounds more like cautious intent if it must have a label.

Many answers in this thread are neither logical or rational.

It indicates reckless intent? Is that why people under the influence try sooo hard to drive carefully to prove to themselves that they aren't impaired? Sounds more like cautious intent if it must have a label.

People under the influence THINK they are being cautious but their judgment is impaired.

Let's see.

Exactly, so if a kid gets caught on Federal property with a joint of pot ( felony ) should he be not allowed to own a gun - ever?

All of us exhibit poor judgement daily. The simple question should be: are you a threat to society. The Constitution says the right to bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED - lets not forget that! 98% of the drivers speed daily - that is poor judgement! Should their gun rights be taken?

People under the influence THINK they are being cautious but their judgment is impaired.

Clearly. But I was speaking to their intent. Seems to be how everyone wants to rationalize taking away the rights of yet another group of people.

10 foot tall and bullet proof.

Let's see.

Exactly, so if a kid gets caught on Federal property with a joint of pot ( felony ) should he be not allowed to own a gun - ever?

All of us exhibit poor judgement daily. The simple question should be: are you a threat to society. The Constitution says the right to bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED - lets not forget that! 98% of the drivers speed daily - that is poor judgement! Should their gun rights be taken?

Honestly I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't make the laws. A felony is a felony. Don't like certain laws petition your represenatives to change them.

Ultimately it takes only a couple dui convictions to up it to felony level depending on circumstances so I don't know why everyone is over reacting.

What would you call someone who has 5, DUI's. God forbid that you should ever have a close family member run over, and killed by a habitual drunk driver - you may be singing a different tune!

Studies have shown that driving while sleepy can net the same results as driving under the influence. So I guess by the measures that everyone in this thread is using, anyone who's ever driven when tired should be prohibited from owning a gun too....

Dumb thread is dumb

Of course. Hell - People are routinely denied gun rights for NON-violent drug crimes like a 20 year old pot possession conviction. DUI is an extremely violent drug crime and evidence the criminal is a psychopath with no concern for the lives of others.

I don't see why a misdemeanor infraction should keep you from legally owning a firearm.

Felons are already prohibited.

What would you call someone who has 5, DUI's. God forbid that you should ever have a close family member run over, and killed by a habitual drunk driver - you may be singing a different tune!

My first true love died because she herself was behind the wheel drunk. One of my suppliers got a dui AGAIN and shot himself when he found out he was being charged on a felony level.

And the answer to your question is simple...

A habitual offender who belongs in jail.

If you are of sound mind, and have never victimized anyone - I think you should be allowed to own a gun.

If a person gets caught with a little weed when they are 18, I don't think they should not be allowed to protect their family for the rest of their life. I say you should get your gun rights back after you have proven yourself to be a productive member of society for five years on all vitimless crimes.

Drunk drivers are a direct threat to the innocent, and should face serious punishment on the second offence!
Their gun rights should be revoked until they stay straight for five years also. I don't think prison is effective
for many crimes. I think a severe ass whipping is under rated - they did me good! We should start kaning in the USA - I bet that would go over big with the libs. :whip::mm:

Actually, it probably would go over quite big, as lib-ertarians and conservatives tend to violate such laws more often than the average independant, liberal or progressive. The left just doesn't have as much of that "entitled - the law is corrupt and mainly for other people" mindset. They would moan about the inhumanity while they brought families and picnic baskets to the show, and then warn their children of the consequences of violating laws until the next weekend's line-up.
Most crimes are perpetrated by liberal blacks, and hispanics. Fuck all the drunks regardless of their political affiliation. They are the hypocrits that
are so vehemently opposed to pot. Outlaw alcohol, and they will all be instant criminals!

Outlaw stupidity and every liberal would be a criminal.

5 DUI's? That means he's had at least two felony convictions and therefore he cannot legally purchase a firearm.

Forum List

Back