Should DUI be part of criminal background check for gun purchase?

[

Well, in many, if not most, states this wait period is true for handguns, but hunting/target rifles and shotgun purchases, in many places, do not require anything but the ability to pay, they are cash and carry. And to be honest, I see little reason that this should change.

If you have a concealed carry permit many states let you buy even a handgun without waiting.

A person who is obviously drunk at the time - should not be allowed to walk out of a gun dealer with any kind of gun.

I can't believe that's even a point of debate for any sane person.

A person who is obviously drunk at the time - should not be allowed to walk out of a gun dealer with any kind of gun.

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, however, that is on the seller. Any merchant has the ability to refuse to sell their products to anyone they choose for whatever reason they want. I would think it irresponsible for any seller to sell a firearm (or any other weapon) to anyone who was obviously inebriated, or emotionally upset. Likewise if they sell to such an individual and injuries occur due to such a sale, the merchant should bear a part of the responsibility for that injury.

[

I got a dui many years ago. It scared the hell out of me. As well as about 6k

After completing probation I bought a breathalizer and started testing myself at home regularly. I know my limits. ;)

If you were smart, you'd just stop drinking. I've never been drunk in my life and haven't even touched booze except for a little when i was a dumb teen.

Its really none of your concern what other people do in their personal lives with legal substances.

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, however, that is on the seller. Any merchant has the ability to refuse to sell their products to anyone they choose for whatever reason they want. I would think it irresponsible for any seller to sell a firearm (or any other weapon) to anyone who was obviously inebriated, or emotionally upset. Likewise if they sell to such an individual and injuries occur due to such a sale, the merchant should bear a part of the responsibility for that injury.

Kinda like bartenders ...
If a bartender can be required to cut you off, then a gun dealer should be too.
That's MHO anyway - I can't imagine that would ruffle feathers, but apparently it does. We don't have such a law on the books ...

Of course. Hell - People are routinely denied gun rights for NON-violent drug crimes like a 20 year old pot possession conviction. DUI is an extremely violent drug crime and evidence the criminal is a psychopath with no concern for the lives of others.

Of course not. DUI is still a misdemeanor. It has nothing to do with if you are a person that would be dangerous with a gun.

However, I don't think pot should be illegal, so your argument is doubly wrong.

Absolutely should be....if you are willing to be dangerous with a motor vehicle, you show a callous disregard for the safety of others.

Of course. Hell - People are routinely denied gun rights for NON-violent drug crimes like a 20 year old pot possession conviction. DUI is an extremely violent drug crime and evidence the criminal is a psychopath with no concern for the lives of others.
Crime is crime?
Only if it also means they lose the right to vote as well.
Crime is crime.

Yes, it should be.

It means neglect, which is what we can't have gun owners be doing.

Gun owners be doing? :lol: Well you neglected proper English so I see no reason why you should be allowed to own a firearm.

I can understand the general sentiment here. I also had a DUI 2 years ago and its was certainly a turning point in my life. If I go out and have more than 2 I make sure I'm out with someone and make sure they drive. And I have 0 problems w/ being a DD these days.

What happened to me is I went through ARD, had a 1 month suspension, and 6 month probation. After the 6 month probation the DUI was wiped from my record.

If people feel that I don't deserve to own a firearm, so be it.

I

Drunk drivers are a direct threat to the innocent, and should face serious punishment on the second offence!

Why second offense?. I say throw the book at these psychos right from the start.
I didn't say they should not be punished the first time - I say they should be severely punished the second time. I knew of a old boy down in Texas who got 5, DUI's - his last plea offer was 35, years. I think they should have given him life the third time!

There are things called extenuating circumstances, and I believe that if no one was hurt, a little latitude for a first offense is appropriate. A zero tolerance policy would have all of us
criminals. It should be absolutely clear, and contingent at plea that a repeat offence will have an agreed foregone severe punishment clause.

[
If a bartender can be required to cut you off, then a gun dealer should be too.
That's MHO anyway - I can't imagine that would ruffle feathers, but apparently it does. We don't have such a law on the books ...

So too then should a car dealer. You really need to think things thru before you post.

[

Its really none of your concern what other people do in their personal lives with legal substances.

HAHAHA. Gramps just said drunk driving should be legal.

Negged for ass-holism :lol:

Gramps said nothing of the kind, liar.

He did too. "Its really none of your concern what other people do in their personal lives with legal substances.". That's what he said and that means legalizing dui. I realize gramps is 97 and a loony lib and i'm trying to make allowances but there is still no excuse for anyone being that stupid.

I can understand the general sentiment here. I also had a DUI 2 years ago and its was certainly a turning point in my life. If I go out and have more than 2 I make sure I'm out with someone and make sure they drive. And I have 0 problems w/ being a DD these days.

What happened to me is I went through ARD, had a 1 month suspension, and 6 month probation. After the 6 month probation the DUI was wiped from my record.

If people feel that I don't deserve to own a firearm, so be it.

I don't like that business about wiping it from your record. If we're gonna do that with DUI it should be done with all crimes. And 6 months probation is far too little penalty, in fact it's no penalty at all. I don't favor throwing duis in prison since we don't have the space, but even first timers should lose their license for a couple years.

Forum List

Back