Should Black People be Allowed into College?

It is apparent that there are inherent biases in the selection of students into US colleges. Many admissions offices are more likely to accept a black person than a white person with the same credentials. I thought this was America, the land of equal opportunity.

America is no longer the land of opportunity, the cost to attend a University for one year exceeds the median income of American Workers. Notice I'm ignoring your racist OP.

The attacks on union workers and unions in general - lead by the Koch Brothers - has made the United States just one of many western democracies, though, we likely no longer qualify as a democracy since five members of the Supreme Court passed Citizens United v. FEC; that decision was the tipping point and we now live in a Plutocracy.

Thanks Wry Catcher. At least you can pick out what I wanted to talk about in this thread. Isn't it concerning that students are coming out of college with more debt than they can pay for with 4 years of straight salary, not even considering basic life costs.

Wow great incite. Either write something meaningful next time or don't post anything at all. Why don't you do as your name implies and drift.

I answered your title of the thread most direct.

It's pretty simple.

The title of the thread was to attract attention. The actual content of this thread has very little to do with that seemingly racist question.

Well if the title is to bait and but you wanted something meaningful write the title as meaningful.

Kevin's points were my sentiments.:smiliehug:

It's pretty simple.

The title of the thread was to attract attention. The actual content of this thread has very little to do with that seemingly racist question.

Well if the title is to bait and but you wanted something meaningful write the title as meaningful.

Then no one would comment on it.

Then no one would comment on it.

That's sad, but you are probably right.

It is apparent that there are inherent biases in the selection of students into US colleges. Many admissions offices are more likely to accept a black person than a white person with the same credentials. I thought this was America, the land of equal opportunity.

Examples? Proof? Statistics? All I see here is a bunch of vague assertions and (what is clearly) an agenda against affirmative action.

Worrying about the cons of affirmative action - this day and age - is like getting upset about milk that spoiled after a nuclear bomb just went off a mile from your house.

And the title "should black people be allowed into college" is rather offensive.

Re: the choice of title, it's a troll title. If I wanted to ensure people read a certain post I'd write and phrase it similarly. Can't blame him for knowing basic psych :)

As to the point, yes affirmitive action, if we limit our debate to it, is unfair. Giving preferential treatment to any specific group in admission to university or other things is patently unfair.

But then, so was kidnapping and slavery.

They rejected you over at Stormfront, didn't they Dildo...

racists are racist.

note the op

Takes one to know one, racist.

Should Black People be Allowed into College?

Yes.

Wow great incite. Either write something meaningful next time or don't post anything at all. Why don't you do as your name implies and drift.

Go piss up a rope, halfwit. You do not get to dictate how people post or respond to yours or anyone else's moronic premises.

Oh, and just so no one can accuse me of not addressing the topic...

Yes, they should.

It's pretty simple.

Yeah? News Flash: Stupid idea.

You're choice of title succeeds only in telling folks you offer nothing of value.

As to the point, yes affirmitive action, if we limit our debate to it, is unfair. Giving preferential treatment to any specific group in admission to university or other things is patently unfair.

But then, so was kidnapping and slavery.

See, I definitely understand why people have gripes about affirmative action - and yes (by definition) it is "unfair". However there are some major systemic problems in the black community (specifically) where entire generations are entwined in a seemingly inescapable cycle of poverty and this is just an attempt at trying to fix that.

But at the end of the day, affirmative action is never going to prevent a white person from getting into a good college in the United States (given that he/she has put in the effort to get good grades, is intelligent, etc). It's also never going to prevent a white person from getting a job. Maybe they won't get their first pick, but if the skills are there they're never going to be able to "not find a job" directly due to affirmative action.

I don't think it's worth worrying about too much.

You want a statistic. One of my friends made two applications to Harvard. They were both identical, the same essays, resume, letters of recommendation and all. The only difference was that with one application he indicated that his race was black and the other he indicated white. He was accepted under the "black" application and rejected under the "white" application. Isn't this a little concerning?
Nope. Harvard is extremely competitive and any little difference can be a deciding factor. If you tried the same experiment with the differing factor number of clubs, or a sport, or urban vs rural, or in state vs out of state, or any number of variables. Perhaps the two essays weren't that close.

Type Supreme Court has ruled that race can be considered alongside other non-academic or demographic factors. No quotas an race can't be disproportionately considered. But a varied student body is a valid goal of a college.

You want a statistic. One of my friends made two applications to Harvard. They were both identical, the same essays, resume, letters of recommendation and all. The only difference was that with one application he indicated that his race was black and the other he indicated white. He was accepted under the "black" application and rejected under the "white" application. Isn't this a little concerning?

Show us the applications as proof or just admit you're a lying troll.

I doubt harvard will accept him now that he's abused their application system. What a dumbass :cuckoo:

Harvard needs to raise their standards a bit.

They rejected you over at Stormfront, didn't they Dildo...

racists are racist.

note the op

Takes one to know one, racist.

Go piss up a rope, halfwit. You do not get to dictate how people post or respond to yours or anyone else's moronic premises.

Oh, and just so no one can accuse me of not addressing the topic...

Yes, they should.

You obviously didn't read the actual question hjmick. The title of the thread was meant to draw in people's responses. I knew some idiots would think that it was racist but I was willing to sacrifice some dumb comments for some very insightful comments. The true topic was about affirmative action in the college system. Please read the actual question next time. Thank you.

You obviously don't know what is going on in the world around you. I'd advise taking some life skills or common sense classes at your local high school or community college. Also the two applications that were sent out were IDENTICAL except for the race and the "white" one got rejected. There have been numerous accounts of the same circumstance happening. Look it up. I've never come across a similar situation where the "white" one was accepted in all my research. Something has to be said about that.

I doubt harvard will accept him now that he's abused their application system. What a dumbass :cuckoo:

Harvard needs to raise their standards a bit.

In my opinion, Harvard should accept him even though he lied about his race. How could you accept on application out of two identical ones just differing in race?

I'm the guy in charge of matriculation at Harvard. When I received the identical applications I knew the perpetrator had to be the white guy since Blacks are not that devious. That is why I rejected the white guy's application. Besides he could come in and register under the Black guy's name...who would notice since some Blacks look white any way!

:smirk:

Maybe Black people need to find the right books on science and technology and start self educating and say to hell with the education scam run by White folks and quit paying ad infinitum to have information dribbled out. Just take the science and say to hell with European culture.

It is so funny that double-entry accounting is 200 years older than Shakespeare but it is not mandatory for White kids in high school and now we bitch and moan about distribution of income. But then 45 years after the Moon landing economists with PhDs and Nobel prizes can't talk about the planned obsolescence or what Americans lose on depreciation of all of the crappy automobiles.

If a culture runs on lies then the educational system must propagate the approved disinformation. :evil:

psik

Maybe Black people need to find the right books on science and technology and start self educating and say to hell with the education scam run by White folks and quit paying ad infinitum to have information dribbled out. Just take the science and say to hell with European culture.

It is so funny that double-entry accounting is 200 years older than Shakespeare but it is not mandatory for White kids in high school and now we bitch and moan about distribution of income. But then 45 years after the Moon landing economists with PhDs and Nobel prizes can't talk about the planned obsolescence or what Americans lose on depreciation of all of the crappy automobiles.

If a culture runs on lies then the educational system must propagate the approved disinformation. :evil:

psik

Ok, seriously, does any new thought ever find its way into the vacant lot that passes for your mind? Ever? You have posted some variation on this same theme about 10,000,000,000,000,000 times now. Get some new material or STFU already.

You obviously don't know what is going on in the world around you. I'd advise taking some life skills or common sense classes at your local high school or community college.

In other words, you ARE a lying sack of crap.

psik

Ok, seriously, does any new thought ever find its way into the vacant lot that passes for your mind? Ever? You have posted some variation on this same theme about 10,000,000,000,000,000 times now. Get some new material or STFU already.

What have I said about Black people on this site?

Am I mistaken about double-entry accounting being 200 years older than Shakespeare?

It is so curious that with all of the talk about STEM education and learning about the workings of the brain with Magnetic Resonance Imaging that we do not hear about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Renshaw

Making people smarter is really a serious threat to the traditional power structure.

psik

Last edited:

Forum List

Back