Should Black People be Allowed into College?

Bilbo

Rookie
Mar 6, 2014
It is apparent that there are inherent biases in the selection of students into US colleges. Many admissions offices are more likely to accept a black person than a white person with the same credentials. I thought this was America, the land of equal opportunity.

It is apparent that there are inherent biases in the selection of students into US colleges. Many admissions offices are more likely to accept a black person than a white person with the same credentials. I thought this was America, the land of equal opportunity.

Examples? Proof? Statistics? All I see here is a bunch of vague assertions and (what is clearly) an agenda against affirmative action.

Worrying about the cons of affirmative action - this day and age - is like getting upset about milk that spoiled after a nuclear bomb just went off a mile from your house.

And the title "should black people be allowed into college" is rather offensive.

Last edited:
You want a statistic. One of my friends made two applications to Harvard. They were both identical, the same essays, resume, letters of recommendation and all. The only difference was that with one application he indicated that his race was black and the other he indicated white. He was accepted under the "black" application and rejected under the "white" application. Isn't this a little concerning?

You want a statistic. One of my friends made two applications to Harvard. They were both identical, the same essays, resume, letters of recommendation and all. The only difference was that with one application he indicated that his race was black and the other he indicated white. He was accepted under the "black" application and rejected under the "white" application. Isn't this a little concerning?

Sorry, but don't think we can count those as "statistics".

First of all, no one has "the same" resume and letters of recommendation. There are always nuances. And "same essay"? Did you read both and conclude they were absolutely equal on all counts? I don't understand how you can make such an assertion.

Finally, how do you know that there weren't 20 whites, 20 blacks with similar credentials as your friends that applied and 10 whites were selected and only 5 blacks? Are you considering the entire pool?

Last edited:

Sorry, but don't think we can count those as "statistics".

First of all, no one has "the same" resume and letters of recommendation. There are always nuances. And "same essay"? Did you read both and conclude they were absolutely equal on all counts? I don't understand how you can make such an assertion.

Finally, how do you know that there weren't 20 whites, 20 blacks with similar credentials as your friends that applied and 10 whites were selected and only 5 blacks? Are you considering the entire pool?

I shouldn't have said statistic and I think you misinterpreted. My friend submitted the SAME application with literally identical essays and everything except for the race. In other words, my friend submitted two applications to the same college, Harvard.

To tell you the truth,
I see the process of application and acceptance to
* schools
* jobs
* clubs or affiliations
as part of a "spiritual process"
Where people go where they are meant to be
to INTERACT with certain people, experience and learn certain things,
and grow along certain paths in certain directions in life for a REASON.

If you don't belong somewhere, if you need to be someplace else
to interact with certain people at a certain time, you'll end up there instead.

It's like the laws of karma, the problems from the past seeking resolution in the future,
guide all our steps to get there.

So whatever happens, wherever we end up, and the process/decisions to get there
are all shaped by karmic forces of: cause and effect, supply and demand,
the solutions to problems, or the resources to serve the greatest needs.

Whatever makes life flow in the direction toward positive change and growth,
THAT'S what drives our decisions in life; and all other manifestations follow from that.

I shouldn't have said statistic and I think you misinterpreted. My friend submitted the SAME application with literally identical essays and everything except for the race. In other words, my friend submitted two applications to the same college, Harvard.

Ah, I got you. But I believe I asked the question do you know what the total pool of applicants looked like?

How do you know (again) 20 whites and 20 blacks applied (in total) and 10 whites and only 5 blacks (which includes your friend's submission) happened to get accepted? If you don't know what the total pool looked like the example above doesn't demonstrate a whole lot.

Also, how do you know the two applications weren't both "right on the border" and by 50/50 chance the black guy just happened to make it through and the white guy didn't? The application reviewer might of had a bad day when the white one rolled in and a good one when the black guy's was reviewed..

You know what I mean? There's so many variables here making this exercise nothing more than fruitless speculation.

Last edited:

Ah, I got you. But I believe I asked the question do you know what the total pool of applicants looked like?

How do you know (again) 20 whites and 20 blacks applied (in total) and 10 whites and only 5 blacks (which includes your friend's submission) happened to get accepted? If you don't know what the total pool looked like the example above doesn't demonstrate a whole lot.

Also, how do you know the two applications weren't both "right on the border" and by 50/50 chance the black guy just happened to make it through and the white guy didn't? The application reviewer might of had a bad day when the white one rolled in and a good one when the black guy's was reviewed..

You know what I mean? There's so many variables here making this exercise nothing more than fruitless speculation.

There definitely are a lot of variables involved. I just thought that it really shouldn't matter what the pool of applications looks like. The same credentials should yield the same results , but it didn't. I think there is obviously something going on there that is not related to how much you have achieved but your life's circumstances which isn't RIGHT.

There definitely are a lot of variables involved. I just thought that it really shouldn't matter what the pool of applications looks like. The same credentials should yield the same results , but it didn't. I think there is obviously something going on there that is not related to how much you have achieved but your life's circumstances which isn't RIGHT.

Not the case though, Bilbo. If there's only 30 slots open it doesn't matter if 100 people applying are all equally qualified - only 30 are getting in. Are you asserting those 100 people all "deserve" to get in and it's an injustice if 70 of them are turned away? Don't understand your angle..

I just don't see "being white" as a huge barrier to getting into college in the United States to the point where it deserves a discussion. If you're smart, work hard, you're going to get into a decent institution. Might not always be your first choice - that's life - but you'll find something.

Not the case though, Bilbo. If there's only 30 slots open it doesn't matter if 100 people applying are all equally qualified - only 30 are getting in. Are you asserting those 100 people all "deserve" to get in and it's an injustice if 70 of them are turned away? Don't understand your angle..

I just don't see "being white" as a huge barrier to getting into college in the United States to the point where it deserves a discussion. If you're smart, work hard, you're going to get into a decent institution. Might not always be your first choice - that's life - but you'll find something.

I agree with you for the most part. I see the problem being most prevalent with either Ivy League schools or highly liberal schools. If you work hard though, chances are you'll be fine wherever you go.

the most meaningful thing to say about this thread is your a fucking racist

First of all, Truthmatters, it's you're not your (sigh, probably didn't even go to college). Secondly, the title of this thread was implying racism simply to get a response. If you'd read the posts, you would see that there are very few, if any, racist comments at all. Lastly, try educating yourself before you make any outrageous accusations. Thank you.

Wow great incite. Either write something meaningful next time or don't post anything at all. Why don't you do as your name implies and drift.

I answered your title of the thread most direct.

It's pretty simple.

The title of the thread was to attract attention. The actual content of this thread has very little to do with that seemingly racist question.

America is no longer the land of opportunity, the cost to attend a University for one year exceeds the median income of American Workers. Notice I'm ignoring your racist OP.

The attacks on union workers and unions in general - lead by the Koch Brothers - has made the United States just one of many western democracies, though, we likely no longer qualify as a democracy since five members of the Supreme Court passed Citizens United v. FEC; that decision was the tipping point and we now live in a Plutocracy.

Forum List

Back