Zone1 Should a 16 year old be able to decide on life changing surgery?

So you think you know better than the parents and doctors of that 16-year old? Please share your resume.

Yeah....it is called being a human being who understands that teenagers have lots of issues, many of them temporary with their age.....and that making permanent, drastic, life altering surgeries for mental health issues is insane....

That's my opinion, but some idiots in DC decided they were more than old enough to get an abortion on thier own.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong Will but a 16 year old can't:
  • Go to war.
  • Vote.
  • Buy liquor.
  • Can just barely drive.
  • Buy guns.
  • Move out of the parent's house on his own reconnaissance or consent without a parent's approval.
  • Marry.
I'm sure there are others.

So just how can a 16 year old (or younger?) decide they are the wrong gender and need sex change operations?

Are they going to pay for it out of their pocket and health care plan?

And I see a problem with people thinking they should be able to control strangers' healthcare decisions. Don't get her COVID/MMR jabs, get her wiener sliced and diced. None of it affects me one bit.
I believe that a person should be of age before any decision is to be made. At 16 ...other than you, they don't have the maturity level
to make such a decision as this, especially seeing the potential issues that can occur years down the way.

One serious problem with our culture is that so many parents abrogate their role as nurturer of their kids. They are supposed to teach the kids how to behave, carry themselves, dress, groom themselves, deal with authority figures, and so on. I see so many parents just going along with whatever stupid shit the kid says s/he wants, but that's parenting by default, and leads to fucked up adults.

As for this Trans B.S., it is just sad, especially with girls. They have a mountain of other emotional issues, and have usually manifested serious problems (e.g, self harm), then the parents just go along when they say they are the other gender or non-binary, or some other bullshit. The correct answer is the traditional one: You can do whatever you want when you are out of the house, and supporting yourself. Good rule of thumb.

Yeah....it is called being a human being who understands that teenagers have lots of issues, many of them temporary with their age.....and that making permanent, drastic, life altering surgeries for mental health issues is insane....
I'm impressed! You know more about kids you've never met than do the parents who raised them and the medical professionals that examined them. One might say your omnipotence is almost God-like.

I believe that a person should be of age before any decision is to be made. At 16 ...other than you, they don't have the maturity level
to make such a decision as this, especially seeing the potential issues that can occur years down the way.

This person started identifying as a female when she was 2, is now 10, and the surgery is 6 years away. This isn't a spur of the moment thing. If they still want it at 16, and the parents still will consent in 6 years, and the surgeons will still do it, then it is going to happen. Outlaw it and they will just probably do it the old school way and whisk her to Thailand for a few weeks,

This person started identifying as a female when she was 2, is now 10, and the surgery is 6 years away. This isn't a spur of the moment thing. If they still want it at 16, and the parents still will consent in 6 years, and the surgeons will still do it, then it is going to happen. Outlaw it and they will just probably do it the old school way and whisk her to Thailand for a few weeks,
Why do liberals always post something I didn't say and argue that? Weird. I never stated it was it was a spur of the moment thing.
I'm saying that at 16 teenagers don't have the maturity level to make life altering decisions like that. I said that they should have to
wait until they are of age. That's what I said.

The child is obviously too young.

The mother is certainly not too young to go to jail for severe child abuse, though.

This shouldn't even be a debate. Children are considered minors for whom their parents or guardians are responsible for very good reasons. Children have neither the knowledge nor mature judgement to make such life changing decisions for themselves.

Last edited:
I'm impressed! You know more about kids you've never met than do the parents who raised them and the medical professionals that examined them. One might say your omnipotence is almost God-like.

Yes...it takes a trained professional to think that carving up a 16 year old, instead of long term mental healthcare, is a good idea.....

Yeah.....as a 2 year old they picked up a toy from the opposite gender.......

Do you not understand how insane it is to say they identified as a female at 2?

I heard an interview with a child psychiatrist...she stated she had a case of a young boy who started to tell his parents he wanted to be a girl......she actually worked with this boy, and found out the reason for this "identifying" as a girl....the family had just had a new baby girl......and she was taking up all of the time of the parents...and in this young boys mind, he began to associate attention with being a girl....once he was worked with this "identifying," went away....

That is the kind of thing people like you would solve by chopping parts off of the child....that is why this is abuse, not help....

One serious problem with our culture is that so many parents abrogate their role as nurturer of their kids. They are supposed to teach the kids how to behave, carry themselves, dress, groom themselves, deal with authority figures, and so on. I see so many parents just going along with whatever stupid shit the kid says s/he wants, but that's parenting by default, and leads to fucked up adults.

As for this Trans B.S., it is just sad, especially with girls. They have a mountain of other emotional issues, and have usually manifested serious problems (e.g, self harm), then the parents just go along when they say they are the other gender or non-binary, or some other bullshit. The correct answer is the traditional one: You can do whatever you want when you are out of the house, and supporting yourself. Good rule of thumb.

The Social Contagion factor to the transgender problem is real.....and it is being silenced by the medical community.....

The press used to report on teen suicides...until they realized that it led to other teens committing suicide ....so they stopped publishing news about teen suicides...this Social Contagion is the same thing....

This situation falls in line with leftist belief about the world being over populated......by chopping parts off of this child, that child will no longer be able to reproduce.......they get to make a permanent victim...who will later be really mentally injured, and they get to reduce the future population through voluntary sterilization at 16...

Yeah....doesn't take a genius to know that teenagers have lots of issues, and that lopping parts off of them isn't the way to go...

The case of Keira Bell illustrates the dangers of this approach. She was rushed into transition in adolescence and early adulthood; her regret is mingled with blame for the adults who were more interested in modifying her body than in reconciling her to it. “As I matured,” she writes, “I recognized that gender dysphoria was a symptom of my overall misery, not its cause.” Bell and the many others who regret transitioning are collateral damage from the hostage-taking of Jennings and other trans activists, whose threats of suicide have stymied efforts to carefully screen patients, even children, before transition.

The harm done in such cases is horrific. For example, when transition begins in childhood, using the Dutch protocol of puberty blockers followed by cross-sex hormones and surgery, it sterilizes the patient and destroys sexual function. The side effects are still being discovered. And yet it does not actually change the patient’s sex, which is beyond the capabilities of medical science. The biological reality, and there is no way to put it gently, is that Jazz Jennings is a young man who has been castrated and — through the use of chemicals, cosmetic surgery, and cosmetics — made to look like a young woman.
----

There is no proof that this drastic course of treatment is right for any, let alone all, of the onrush of children claiming to be transgender. Given time, most children diagnosed with gender dysphoria will desist and come to accept their natural bodies. Instead of rushing to affirm transgender identities in children, doctors used to urge patience in treating these (previously rare) cases. The new combination of affirmation-only treatments and a surge of children (many apparently influenced by social contagion and the Internet) claiming to be trans may be catastrophic, a medical disaster on par with the lobotomy craze of the last century. How will all the adolescent girls tripping off to Planned Parenthood for testosterone feel about it a decade or two hence?

You got it. Health care is a Left wing conspiracy.

Yes....one of the victims of your "health care..."

n the Season 7 trailer for her TLC reality series, “I Am Jazz,” the 21-year-old transgender activist revealed that her eating habits changed amid mental health struggles, resulting in her weight of 234 pounds.
-----

“I was actually struggling severely with mental health issues. I started binge-eating and I gained weight and more weight and more weight. And now, almost 100 pounds heavier, here I am today.”

Forum List

Back