Sharia Law Hits Dunkin Doughnuts

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by red states rule, Jul 13, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    More insanity from the Courts and the Muslims

Muslim Dunkin' Donuts Owner Can Sue Over Pork, Appeals Court Says
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007

LOS ANGELES — A discrimination lawsuit filed by a Muslim Dunkin' Donuts franchisee who was not allowed to renew his contract with the chain because of a refusal to sell pork products can proceed, a U.S. appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The decision reversed an Illinois federal court judge's 2004 ruling that rejected Walid Elkhatib's argument that Dunkin' Donuts discriminated against him based on his race by making the sale of breakfast sandwiches with bacon, ham or sausage a mandatory part of his franchise agreement.

According to court papers, Elkhatib, a Palestinian Arab, has been a Dunkin' Donuts franchisee since 1979, before the company began selling any pork.

Once breakfast sandwiches were introduced in 1984, Elkhatib's Chicago-area Dunkin' Donuts outlets sold them without bacon, ham or sausage for nearly 20 years. The company did not object, even providing him with a sign that said "Meat Products Not Available."

In 2002, however, Elkhatib was told he would not be able to relocate a store or renew his franchisee agreements due to his failure to carry the full product line.

Elkhatib sued Dunkin' Donuts and its former parent company, Allied Domecq, later that year, claiming that the chain's refusal to renew his franchises constituted racial discrimination

for the complete article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288845,00.html

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,029
    It is not Racial discrimination it is Religious... and I was not aware religion was protected in this manner. The Judge needs to have an intelligence check... The Palestinian "race" doesn't exist, though I guess he could claim to me semite? And last I checked the RACE is not restricted racially, just religiously.

He does have a point though, they allowed him to do buisiness for 20 years , why the sudden change.

3. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    A liberal Judge making law from the bench

Nothing new here sir

4. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    And what law is it that was made, rsr?

You need to read the justification for why the judge ruled the way he did. There are other stores in the area who don't carry the full line, for various reasons. None of them were penalized...this guy was. Why? It could be for racial reasons...which is why the lawsuit will be allowed to proceed.

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,029
    What part of it is not race related do you not understand? It is religious bias if any bias at all.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Total bullshit. If it's a standard Dunkin Donuts fare, and standard part of the franchise agreement, this whiney-ass piece of trash need to just sit down, shut up, and eat a freakin' donut.

What's next? Indian McDonald's owners who won't sell burgers?

7. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    This is a tough call. On the one hand, the Muslim could sell his interest in the franchise and find a different job. “If you don’t like it, find another job”. Yet, should a business be allowed to discriminate, intentionally or not, against someone on religious grounds? What if my boss changed the rules and the new rules went against my religious beliefs? What if my job required me to work on Sunday when my religious practice (or “Christian Law” as I understand it) required me to not work on Sunday?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Umm, find another job. However, as someone wrote above, the article mentions that other franchise owners change the menu, seems to me that is a problem, rules need to be applied across the board.

9. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    *sigh* Please tell me the REASON that the owners shut down his shop. You don't know it? Hey, thats because its unknown...and the owner thinks it is race.

He is saying Dunkin Donuts wants him to have things that violate his religion, BECAUSE of his race.

Its NOT a standard part, because other franchises are allowed to get away with not doing it...but he is not. The question is why...he thinks its race.

10. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I wish Muslims would stop whining, suck it up, and stop demanding special treatment