Sexual Harassment Video: What Does It Say About Us?

I have no desire to return the discourse between men and women to another century, when women had few rights. My wish is for men to respect women as equals, which clearly you don't.

Men don't catcall to other men walking down the street. Catcalling to women shows that they feel entitled to publically harass women and they have no respect for their privacy.

I am reminded of the chain of department stores which required their cashiers to smile and greet all of their customers. The store had to rescind this requirement because their female cashiers were being stalked and harassed by male customers who thought the cashiers were coming on to them.

When you say you are entitled to publically harass women as they walk down the street, what you are saying is the woman shouldn't expect to be treated as equals. They are objects for you to treat as such. If she's on her way to the funeral of a loved one, or has been given devastating news, there can be no expectation that her feelings be considered. Male entitlement trumps everything.

Forty years ago, if a person who smoked came to your home, you gave them an ashtray and aired out the house after they left. Today, a smoker wouldn't dare light up without your permission, nor would they expect to smoke in someone else's home.

We can show respect for one another in modern terms, but since you lot constantly demonstrate your disdain for women and their concerns, it's unlikely that will happen anytime soon.

As for sexual harassment legislation, it applies to both sexes equally. It's just that women seldom abuse positions of authority to try to force male employees to have sex with them.

As for sexual harassment legislation, it applies to both sexes equally. It's just that women seldom abuse positions of authority to try to force male employees to have sex with them.
Men don't need to be coerced into it. I think it's a sign of low intellect to harass a gal but I would prefer to not live in a world where they can get arrested for it. Women have dealt with this throughout mankind's history. Women used to be able to slap a guy back in the day, likewise a guy could pop a rude bastard in the chops and everyone said good going. But legislation changed all that so we need more legislation? Then more and more.

I have no desire to return the discourse between men and women to another century, when women had few rights. My wish is for men to respect women as equals, which clearly you don't.

Men don't catcall to other men walking down the street. Catcalling to women shows that they feel entitled to publically harass women and they have no respect for their privacy.

I am reminded of the chain of department stores which required their cashiers to smile and greet all of their customers. The store had to rescind this requirement because their female cashiers were being stalked and harassed by male customers who thought the cashiers were coming on to them.

When you say you are entitled to publically harass women as they walk down the street, what you are saying is the woman shouldn't expect to be treated as equals. They are objects for you to treat as such. If she's on her way to the funeral of a loved one, or has been given devastating news, there can be no expectation that her feelings be considered. Male entitlement trumps everything.

Forty years ago, if a person who smoked came to your home, you gave them an ashtray and aired out the house after they left. Today, a smoker wouldn't dare light up without your permission, nor would they expect to smoke in someone else's home.

We can show respect for one another in modern terms, but since you lot constantly demonstrate your disdain for women and their concerns, it's unlikely that will happen anytime soon.

Why dont you just shut the hell up? Everything you just said is utter bullshit. Pure bullshit. So fucking sick of liberals and their victimology.

Why dont you just shut the hell up? Everything you just said is utter bullshit. Pure bullshit. So fucking sick of liberals and their victimology.
Why dont you whining white boys that long for the days when you can control people shut? Everything you say is utter bullshit with a side of butt hurt. I am so sick of you misogynistic, racist, impotent bed wetters crying over people demanding respect. Go fuck yourself.

Or we could understand that men and women are wired differently. I find it equally offensive when men or women make inappropriate public comments about other men or women, but in this day and age either are as likely to do so. It is, however, in the male DNA to be a sort of sexual predator--he will usually, not always but usually, have the more visually motivated sex drive and it feels more natural to him to be the aggressor than it does to most women. To be monogamous or to not act on natural sexual stimulus are learned behavior and incorporated into the common culture. I think that does not automatically come naturally to the average normal male.

But what provokes a woman to dress provocatively for the express purpose of attracting interest from men in a sexual way, and then becoming offended or accusatory or claiming victimization when men respond to that intentional stimulus, escapes me. That makes little or no sense to me. Yet such women are legion.

As for those who see racism behind every bush and tree, in every expressed statement, in every action or inaction, they have their own problems and own agenda. And they do more to further racism than anything else that is happening in this society these days.

Look, the fucking way of the world and human history goes like this.

Man sees pretty woman
Man "opens" woman with greeting, compliment etc.
Woman determines if man is worthy of her attention
Man closes woman with hopes of further interaction (most likely sex)
Woman hopes man is viable to protect, provide etc
Man and Woman goes on date - Man pays and seeks to "woo" her
If successful, more dates - if not, ends there

Now unless we as a species have now changed that dynamic please let me know. No one will because aint shit changed.

Lets stop the bullshit this is how men and women meet potential dates. If women had a better way of doing it they wouldnt wait and would make the first step. They dont...they're argument is invalid

Exactly what in the video did you find offensive and disrespectful? Do you not think it is normal for men to be sexually attracted to females?

I'm sorry, but I think your story above about the female cashiers is just a bogus lie.

"If" she has been given devastating news? So what? Is she going to have a nervous breakdown because some man checks her out? My God! How ridiculous is that?

You are just wrong about women not using their power. There have been PLENTY of female teachers who have done just that in the recent past, and it seems more and more are popping up all the time.

I don't know of any women that have dated a man who catcalled to them as they walked down the street. Most women meet men in social settings where interaction is expected and is appropriate - a party, a backyard BBQ, at church, in a bar, at a sporting event, or when introduced by friends or relatives - generally in a setting where the man has a reasonable expectation that the woman is not likely to be offended by his approach. A woman walking down the street may be married, engaged, or otherwise uninterested in meeting men, therefore the approach is both inappropriate and unwelcome.

The old expression "There is a time and a place for everything", and harassing a woman as she walks down the street is the least likely way of successfully introducing yourself to a woman you may be interested in. If you are interested in offending her and possibly frightening her, by all means, shout at her, follow her and try to attract her attention and get a response. When I was a kid, women referred to strangers who harassed them in public as "mashers", and it wasn't a compliment.

Why would you wish to defend behavior that is rude, inappropriate, or will more than likely offend the woman you say you want to meet?

I don't know of any women that have dated a man who catcalled to them as they walked down the street. Most women meet men in social settings where interaction is expected and is appropriate - a party, a backyard BBQ, at church, in a bar, at a sporting event, or when introduced by friends or relatives - generally in a setting where the man has a reasonable expectation that the woman is not likely to be offended by his approach. A woman walking down the street may be married, engaged, or otherwise uninterested in meeting men, therefore the approach is both inappropriate and unwelcome.

The old expression "There is a time and a place for everything", and harassing a woman as she walks down the street is the least likely way of successfully introducing yourself to a woman you may be interested in. If you are interested in offending her and possibly frightening her, by all means, shout at her, follow her and try to attract her attention and get a response. When I was a kid, women referred to strangers who harassed them in public as "mashers", and it wasn't a compliment.

Why would you wish to defend behavior that is rude, inappropriate, or will more than likely offend the woman you say you want to meet?

Who are you addressing? You need to use the quote function so that we know who you are talking to. I will assume it is not me since you said "the woman you want to meet" and I am a woman, but I'll address some of it anyhow.

So what if a woman is married or otherwise engaged? Then she would ignore him or tell him that and be on her way . . .

Again what exactly on the video did you consider "harassment?" Do you think that people are not allowed to approach or speak to one another while walking down the street? Why not?

....and yet none of that addresses how to handle a person of the opposite sex simply saying "hello."

....and yet none of that addresses how to handle a person of the opposite sex simply saying "hello."
I thought you just said hello back?

Generally, yes.

But I had no idea I was being harassed all those years. :lol:

Right, saying hello and you look pretty is not harassment in my book either. Cat calling and what not might be annoying but also is not harassment. I don't know what is wrong with people who are SO sensitive. I think they must have some kind of emotional dysfunctional disorder or something. Good grief!

I wouldn't date a guy who would make inappropriate remarks to anybody, male or female, on the street. For that matter, I wouldn't date a guy who would make inappropriate, hateful, and/or judgmental statements to anybody, male or female, on a message boards. I expect a higher standard of maturity and common sense I guess. But in a world in which there is somebody for pretty much everybody who wants somebody, I am sure there are women who think nothing of the inappropriate behavior or attitudes of the guys or gals they date.

But respect works both ways. The woman who dresses or behaves in a way that suggests she doesn't respect herself can hardly be indignant if she doesn't command respect from others. The guy who has no sense of propriety and feels it is his right to say any nasty, hateful, or judgmental thing that crosses his mind can hardly complain if he receives that kind of response.

But this business about treating men and women as equals is absurd. I expect to treat all people, regardless of gender, with the respect they deserve and command. And some of both genders will deserve and command respect more than others.

Oh and big deal . . . so some guy on the street that you don't even know is disrespectful towards you. So what? And what do you propose be done about it? Do you think those particular men are going to listen when you talk about it? :biggrin:

Generally, yes.

Right, saying hello and you look pretty is not harassment in my book either. Cat calling and what not might be annoying but also is not harassment. I don't know what is wrong with people who are SO sensitive. I think they must have some kind of emotional dysfunctional disorder or something. Good grief!

Man on the Street: "Hello."

Woman: :up_yours:

Matthew McConaughy: "Hello."

Woman: :hitit:

Generally, yes.

Man on the Street: "Hello."

Woman: :up_yours:

Matthew McConaughy: "Hello."

Woman: :hitit:

:lol:

Doesn't it seem so whiny though?

Oh, some men on the street looked me up and down and said "hi beautiful" or "looking good." Oh, that's just terrible. Oh the humanity! :rolleyes-41:

I'm sorry, but with people being beheaded, the economy sucking, the chaos in the ME, etc., this just seems so trivial and whiny and unimportant to me.

Generally, yes.

Harassment implies intimidation. I can see where some women would be intimidated. I would never understand why but I can see it.

:lol:

Doesn't it seem so whiny though?

Oh, some men on the street looked me up and down and said "hi beautiful" or "looking good." Oh, that's just terrible. Oh the humanity! :rolleyes-41:

I'm sorry, but with people being beheaded, the economy sucking, the chaos in the ME, etc., this just seems so trivial and whiny and unimportant to me.

I don't know when we had to the right to not be annoyed.

Generally, yes.

Harassment implies intimidation. I can see where some women would be intimidated. I would never understand why but I can see it.

Let me tell you when I felt intimidated. When the 6'5" strange older man put his arms around my shoulders when he blocked my way on the sidewalk. I was 18. I learned my lesson that you say 'hi' back, even smile, but KEEP MOVING. And make it clear that you intend to keep moving. And don't get close enough to be stopped.

Forum List

Back