Sexual Harassment Video: What Does It Say About Us?

Doesn't it seem so whiny though?

Oh, some men on the street looked me up and down and said "hi beautiful" or "looking good." Oh, that's just terrible. Oh the humanity! :rolleyes-41:

I'm sorry, but with people being beheaded, the economy sucking, the chaos in the ME, etc., this just seems so trivial and whiny and unimportant to me.

Expecting to be treated with respect is whiny?

Do you shout out at good-looking men as they walk by - "Hey handsome! Looking good!". If you think it's cool and acceptable for men to do this to women, why don't you do it to men?

....and yet none of that addresses how to handle a person of the opposite sex simply saying "hello."
I thought you just said hello back?

Generally, yes.

But I had no idea I was being harassed all those years. :lol:

Right, saying hello and you look pretty is not harassment in my book either. Cat calling and what not might be annoying but also is not harassment. I don't know what is wrong with people who are SO sensitive. I think they must have some kind of emotional dysfunctional disorder or something. Good grief!
Harassment implies intimidation. I can see where some women would be intimidated. I would never understand why but I can see it.

Let me tell you when I felt intimidated. When the 6'5" strange older man put his arms around my shoulders when he blocked my way on the sidewalk. I was 18. I learned my lesson that you say 'hi' back, even smile, but KEEP MOVING. And make it clear that you intend to keep moving. And don't get close enough to be stopped.

For that matter, for a perfect stranger to intentionally and deliberately walk along side you on the sidewalk or to intentionally and deliberately follow you at close range, especially when he/she is saying nothing, is harassment and could be intimidating. But on a crowded public sidewalk passing one commercial business after another, what person would not intentionally and deliberately change directions and ditch that person if it was happening?

Oh, some men on the street looked me up and down and said "hi beautiful" or "looking good." Oh, that's just terrible. Oh the humanity! :rolleyes-41:

I'm sorry, but with people being beheaded, the economy sucking, the chaos in the ME, etc., this just seems so trivial and whiny and unimportant to me.

Do you shout out at good-looking men as they walk by - "Hey handsome! Looking good!". If you think it's cool and acceptable for men to do this to women, why don't you do it to men?

Define "respect."

Even if you think it's disrespectful for some guy to say, "Hello, beautiful," (and I would question if you'd find it equally disrespectful coming from another woman), is it worth the fight to explain to him his disrespect? Because to complain out loud, or to confront someone, about something that has so little impact on your life does, indeed, seem whiny.

I have no desire to return the discourse between men and women to another century, when women had few rights. My wish is for men to respect women as equals, which clearly you don't

You have to take the good with the bad. If you want formalized cultural roles and expectations and behaviors, then you get the good and the bad. If you want to be the equal of men then be the equal and stop with all your caterwauling about female problems and how men should change to make you feel better.

Men don't catcall to other men walking down the street. Catcalling to women shows that they feel entitled to publically harass women and they have no respect for their privacy.

Because normal men are not attracted to men. The cultural world of men includes plenty of uncomfortable interactions involving competition, taunting, ridicule which is not inflicted on women.

When you say you are entitled to publically harass women as they walk down the street, what you are saying is the woman shouldn't expect to be treated as equals.

But I didn't say that at all, I took pains to explain my position that this isn't harassment. This is simply men choosing to exercise their right of free speech. Do you really believe that you're harassing me when you write your inane liberal gibberish? Do you think I should have the right to have someone make you shut up with your liberal inanity because I'm feeling harassed by encountering it?

You do bring up an interesting point, which is that "women shouldn't expect to be treated as equals." I see this mindset in a lot of women - the expectation or demand for respect. No one, men nor women, can demand respect, they have to earn it, and the same applies to treatment as equals. I don't owe you any obligation to treat you as my equal. If you want such treatment from me then you have to demonstrate to me that you are my equal. Using the power of your vote to get your Government-Husband to pass laws which mandate equality doesn't actually produce equality, that task is left up to women to show that they are equal.

They are objects for you to treat as such. If she's on her way to the funeral of a loved one, or has been given devastating news, there can be no expectation that her feelings be considered. Male entitlement trumps everything.

Most men have manners, but for those who don't, their human rights trump your sensitivities. I do like your female victim stance though, the invocation of "male entitlement" was a nice touch. Also, this victim crap creates a negative pressure on how I see female equality - I never see men (ok, liberals, but they're not really men) acting like this.

We can show respect for one another in modern terms, but since you lot constantly demonstrate your disdain for women and their concerns, it's unlikely that will happen anytime soon.

I'm sick of women and their concerns. I live in a house with an adult woman and two junior women and they don't seem to have these concerns, so I'm not really buying that your whining is indicative of women's concerns. Quit your crying about your feelings, if you're an equal, then go out and act like one. Do you see men whining about their feelings?

As for sexual harassment legislation, it applies to both sexes equally. It's just that women seldom abuse positions of authority to try to force male employees to have sex with them.

Militarysexualassault1_zpsb84353d4.jpg

It says that when we have no real problems some people will dream up things and say they are problems.

If being in public is harassment to you, keep your stupid ass inside.

Because I don't feel the need to do such things. And not ALL men do this to women, probably not even a majority do "cat calling" on a regular basis. I think that type of behavior is mostly reserved for perhaps "lower class" people (for lack of a better word), and hormone driven teenage boys. Just another reason why this is a stupid complaint.

Now, if you were being followed or actually truly harassed, then you might have a complaint, but this is just a bunch of bull crap. Words certainly don't make ME feel like a victim.

Now, if you were being followed or actually truly harassed, then you might have a complaint, but this is just a bunch of bull crap. Words certainly don't make ME feel like a victim.

Have I said it made the woman a victim? No I did not.

You're right. It's only a small percentage of men who do this, but there is a LOT more of it today than there was when I the age of the woman in the video. My 24 year daughter tells me that the attention is relentless when she is out in public by herself. And she's sick of it. She would like to be able to walk down the street without men making comments and attempting to approach her.

What I find surprising is that anyone is defending the practice of catcalling at all.

You're right. It's only a small percentage of men who do this, but there is a LOT more of it today than there was when I the age of the woman in the video. My 24 year daughter tells me that the attention is relentless when she is out in public by herself. And she's sick of it. She would like to be able to walk down the street without men making comments and attempting to approach her.

What I find surprising is that anyone is defending the practice of catcalling at all.

Tell your daughter to enjoy the vibrancy of multiculturalism. Tell her to be thankful that she doesn't live in Norway where ALL the rapists in 2012(?) were immigrant men and almost all the victims were Norwegian women.

Well, I don't know where you live/lived or anything about you or your daughter, so I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that what I witnessed in that video, except for the instance where she was followed, there was nothing to get all upset about.

The woman in the video was an actress taking part in a social experiment. The video was professionally made, to illustrate what women go through on a day to day basis, just walking around. They deliberately selected someone who wasn't blonde and beautiful. They covered her from head to toe so she wasn't flashing a lot of skin. There was nothing about her appearance which was provocative or inviting. She didn't act flirty.

Woman you say. This is a problem that women face? Why didn't they then pick a woman like this?

cranky-old-lady.jpg

The cure for catcalling is old-age. Maybe obesity qualifies as a cure too. What was inviting about the women in the video was her youth.

And yet just walking around and going about her business, men felt they had the right to comment on her appearance, to call out to her.

I've got news for you - I DO HAVE THE RIGHT to make any comment I want to any person I see or meet. You had better get used to living in a free society.

Women don't want strangers calling out to them.

I don't want liberals to live in society. What do you propose to do about that hardship which bears down on me?

They also don't want people judging them on their looks, which a lot of you have done here.

Too bad. I'll judge anyone by any standards I please. You fucking liberals and your thought control. You guys love diversity only when people do and think like you want them to.

I've been appalled at the comments I read on this site about women, not just in this thread. And some of them are written by other women.

I'm appalled that people like you exist. Your totalitarianism makes my skin crawl.

Lol, it probably didn't help matters that the woman in the video was poured into her jeans so her butt took the shape of the jeans. :razz:

The woman in the video was an actress taking part in a social experiment. The video was professionally made, to illustrate what women go through on a day to day basis, just walking around. They deliberately selected someone who wasn't blonde and beautiful. They covered her from head to toe so she wasn't flashing a lot of skin. There was nothing about her appearance which was provocative or inviting. She didn't act flirty.

Woman you say. This is a problem that women face? Why didn't they then pick a woman like this?

cranky-old-lady.jpg

The cure for catcalling is old-age. Maybe obesity qualifies as a cure too. What was inviting about the women in the video was her youth.

And yet just walking around and going about her business, men felt they had the right to comment on her appearance, to call out to her.

I've got news for you - I DO HAVE THE RIGHT to make any comment I want to any person I see or meet. You had better get used to living in a free society.

I don't want liberals to live in society. What do you propose to do about that hardship which bears down on me?

They also don't want people judging them on their looks, which a lot of you have done here.

Too bad. I'll judge anyone by any standards I please. You fucking liberals and your thought control. You guys love diversity only when people do and think like you want them to.

I've been appalled at the comments I read on this site about women, not just in this thread. And some of them are written by other women.

I'm appalled that people like you exist. Your totalitarianism makes my skin crawl.

Lol, it probably didn't help matters that the woman in the video was poured into her jeans so her butt took the shape of the jeans. :razz:

They should try again and send grandma out for a walk or better yet, go all multicultural and send out a berka clad woman. I'm curious to see how many catcalls either gets. Might as well add an obese lady to the experiment.

All I can say is that I'm glad that my eyes were spared having to watch a video with a fat lady poured into spanx and walking down the street.

cranky-old-lady.jpg

They should try again and send grandma out for a walk or better yet, go all multicultural and send out a berka clad woman. I'm curious to see how many catcalls either gets. Might as well add an obese lady to the experiment.

All I can say is that I'm glad that my eyes were spared having to watch a video with a fat lady poured into spanx and walking down the street.

You can just go to Walmart, and you can see ALL of those people. :lol:

cranky-old-lady.jpg

You can just go to Walmart, and you can see ALL of those people. :lol:

Informative? You don't know about People of Walmart? :eek-52: Where do you live?

Edit: This is for you Rik, you poor naive sheltered thing. :D

People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart People Of Walmart

Catcalling gets defended in the same was flag burning does. Most find the action distasteful. Freedom of speech, however needs to be defended at every turn. If it gets whittled away, it is gone before the PC police know what happened.

Your daughter needs to move or she is exaggerating. That actress picked shady areas of the rudest city in the nation, and that video is the worst she could come up with in 10 hours. This has been pointed out to you several times and you ignore.

Sexual harassment has declined, definitely. I know this because bosses do not put their hands on my ass, and I don't have to worry about getting fired for my reaction if they do. They don't ask what you're willing to do for that promotion (wink wink) anymore.

Catcalling is rude. We all agree. There is no right to courtesy, though. Do you have any comment on the actress equating "Hey, Beautiful" to sexual harassment? You haven't answered that either.

The notion that women are harassed every 6 minutes for simply walking down the street is BS. If it is like that in NYC, then it is a local problem and NYers need to raise their children better. The last time I was harassed for walking down the street, I'd left the tourist area in Jamaica.

I don't know of any women that have dated a man who catcalled to them as they walked down the street. Most women meet men in social settings where interaction is expected and is appropriate - a party, a backyard BBQ, at church, in a bar, at a sporting event, or when introduced by friends or relatives - generally in a setting where the man has a reasonable expectation that the woman is not likely to be offended by his approach. A woman walking down the street may be married, engaged, or otherwise uninterested in meeting men, therefore the approach is both inappropriate and unwelcome.

Thats because you changed the name of the approach from "greeting" to "cat call". You know PLENTY of women who were greeted as they were somewhere they werent expecting to meet someone. Point is that women dont make the rules of the hunt THEY ARE the hunt. And the hunters know how to hunt. The Prey do not.

Why would you wish to defend behavior that is rude, inappropriate, or will more than likely offend the woman you say you want to meet?

I dont defend any rude or inappropriate behavior nor do I defend your loose defintions of rude and inappropriate.

Define "respect."

Shes using respect in the context that a man should know whether or not she feels like being spoken too depending on her mood at that time.

Thats why asking for guys to "have respect" is such a broad term and cant be achieved. So men in essence will ALWAYS be disrespectful until we achieve the power of clairvoyance

There is a lot more of it today............according to your daughter.

Catcalling gets defended in the same was flag burning does. Most find the action distasteful. Freedom of speech, however needs to be defended at every turn. If it gets whittled away, it is gone before the PC police know what happened.

Your daughter needs to move or she is exaggerating. That actress picked shady areas of the rudest city in the nation, and that video is the worst she could come up with in 10 hours. This has been pointed out to you several times and you ignore.

Sexual harassment has declined, definitely. I know this because bosses do not put their hands on my ass, and I don't have to worry about getting fired for my reaction if they do. They don't ask what you're willing to do for that promotion (wink wink) anymore.

Catcalling is rude. We all agree. There is no right to courtesy, though. Do you have any comment on the actress equating "Hey, Beautiful" to sexual harassment? You haven't answered that either.

The notion that women are harassed every 6 minutes for simply walking down the street is BS. If it is like that in NYC, then it is a local problem and NYers need to raise their children better. The last time I was harassed for walking down the street, I'd left the tourist area in Jamaica.

Then again catcalling could be flattery. I know a lot of women that take it as flattery, which Is what most if not all of those were.

Of course those women that do take it as flattery, are the fools right?

Liberals. Such narcissists.

Forum List

Back