Sexism: Alive and Well

42Presidents

CFT #1
Jul 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Below are a handful of the sexist remarks made by various media members and Joe Biden himself on Sarah Palin and her ability to work and raise children. Why is this even an issue and why would it be coming from people who say they are all for women working and that being an at home mother is embarrassing? Isn't this supposed to be what the Women's Rights movement was all about? Shouldn't a qualified, smart, and attractive woman be able to go out and work, be successful, and raise children all at the same time? The problem seems to be that Sarah Palin goes against everything the Democrat party tries to picture in the minds of everyday Americans, that conservative women all stay at home and are practically indentured servants to their husbands. This is obviously not the case and its not for many working women in the U.S. workforce. It seems comical that the Left is so peeved by the idea of a woman being on the Republican Presidential ticket, as if they were supposed to be the ones that would break through that barrier first!

"There's also this issue that on April 18th, she gave birth to a baby with Down Syndrome. The baby is just slightly more than 4 months old now. Children with Down Syndrome require an awful lot of attention. The role of vice president, it seems to me, would take up an awful lot of her time, and it raises the issue of, how much time will she have to dedicate to her newborn child?” –CNN’s John Roberts, 8/29/08.

"And I do think, too, that you have to weigh the situation. It's one thing to have one or two or three children, especially if they are healthy children. And everyone knows that women and men are different and that moms and dads are different and that women -- the burden of child care almost always falls on the woman. But I think, when you have five children, one a 4-month-old Down syndrome baby, and a daughter who is 17, who is also a child and who is going to need her mother very much in the next few months and years with her own baby coming, that I don't see how you cannot make your family your first priority. And I think if you are going to be president of the United States, which she may well be, I think that's going to be a real stretch for her."- The Washington Post’s Sally Quinn on CNN’s “Newsroom” 9/2/08.

"SOME WORKING MOTHERS WORRY THAT PALIN IS TAKING ON TOO MUCH" And "SOME VOTERS CONCERNED IF PALIN, A MOTHER OF FIVE HAS TIME TO BE VP." –Tickers on MSNBC

"Kristan, we've talked this morning about whether a mother of five can handle being the vice president. who looks after the kids when she's working? do you know?" - CBS' Maggie Rodriguez on the "Early Show.”

“From our perspective the whole deal is how does the government help you get back up without getting in the way?' Biden asked. 'There's a gigantic -gigantic -- difference between John McCain and Barack Obama, and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent. And that is that - ' The crowd laughed. 'Well there's obvious differences,' Biden said, beginning to ham it up. 'She's good looking,' he said, laughing. 'You know there's obvious differences.” -ABC’s Jake Tapper writing about what Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden told supporters at a recent campaign stop.

MSNBC's Nora O'Donnell (mother of twin 1 1/2 year olds and 1 month old, husband owns 3 restaurants), on a MSNBC morning show questioned (in the 3rd person, "some people are saying") Sarah Palin on how she can take care of her children if she accepts the Republican VP nomination.

Last edited:
waaaaahhhh. Someone call a waaaaaaambulance. Do you need some cheese with your whine?

You won't be complaining when Biden takes it easy on her during the debates. And if he does let her have it, you'll cry foul.

You want it both ways. Women want equal rights, just continue to open the doors and pay for dinner and you go to work while they stay home and raise the kids.

How was Biden's comment sexist?

It is true though, the entire DNC is sexist and affirmative action gave Obamabot the nomination.

And lift the heavy boxes at work for them too because they can't carry the load.

Let's make this the litmus test for VP. If Biden makes her cry, she should drop out.

The average working mother doesn't have the demands that a job like Vice President of the United States would have.

And yes I think a mother leaving her 4 months old child just so she can pursue her own wants is wrong. If the child was a little bit older i wouldn't mind it much. Because an infant needs care and attention from the mother I find it repulsive. I can see if Palin was a single mother and needed a job to support her kids I would understand leaving a child that young because you need to provide for it.

The average working mother doesn't have the demands that a job like Vice President of the United States would have.

And yes I think a mother leaving her 4 months old child just so she can pursue her own wants is wrong. If the child was a little bit older i wouldn't mind it much. Because an infant needs care and attention from the mother I find it repulsive. I can see if Palin was a single mother and needed a job to support her kids I would understand leaving a child that young because you need to provide for it.

But don't forget we're talking about a special needs child so she'd probably be shipping him off to cooper-trooper academy either way. I really don't think it's a big deal.

waaaaahhhh. Someone call a waaaaaaambulance. Do you need some cheese with your whine?

You won't be complaining when Biden takes it easy on her during the debates. And if he does let her have it, you'll cry foul.

You want it both ways. Women want equal rights, just continue to open the doors and pay for dinner and you go to work while they stay home and raise the kids.

Just the sort of response I would have expected. I guess sexism works for you if its in your favor?

“From our perspective the whole deal is how does the government help you get back up without getting in the way?' Biden asked. 'There's a gigantic -gigantic -- difference between John McCain and Barack Obama, and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent. And that is that - ' The crowd laughed. 'Well there's obvious differences,' Biden said, beginning to ham it up. 'She's good looking,' he said, laughing. 'You know there's obvious differences.” -ABC’s Jake Tapper writing about what Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden told supporters at a recent campaign stop.

this is your idea of SEXIST remark by Joe Biden? when the conservatives on this very board have been talking about her being the first VP they'd like to fuck, how hot she is, how they want to see her naked, how they feel uncomfortable at the idea of her being VP because they've never jacked off to a state of the union adress before, et al.

and I think Joe was alluding to the idea that she's good looking and he's NOT which is a good bit of humor on his part.

your outrage is laughable.

If Palin becomes the VP, her family will be very well taken care of. And to say she's doing this just to pursue something she wants is pretty empty. There is a level of sacrifice here that both her and her family are making and I would say it is rather unselfish of her to pursue this post. This is a position to make a difference in the United States and for its people. It is a higher calling, not just a power pulpit.

this is your idea of SEXIST remark by Joe Biden? when the conservatives on this very board have been talking about her being the first VP they'd like to fuck, how hot she is, how they want to see her naked, how they feel uncomfortable at the idea of her being VP because they've never jacked off to a state of the union adress before, et al.

and I think Joe was alluding to the idea that she's good looking and he's NOT which is a good bit of humor on his part.

your outrage is laughable.

What are your talking about? If there were conservatives on this board making those comments, I would find them to be despicable. But don't act like I made the comments. I never saw those posts. And the people who made those posts are not media journalist and politicians.

Yes, I saw the video when Joe made those comments. Joe was being sexist because the only thing he could come up with to comment on Palin was her looks. He could describe basic differences on policy which would have been very simple. Instead, he had to comment on her looks which is belittling and sexist.

Joe Biden is a mean one and I've seen him in action for quite awhile. He's not the least bit innocent and has a way of talking bad about someone to their face without the person knowing it.

If Palin becomes the VP, her family will be very well taken care of.

wait, so I'll have to pay for her children's day care while she's VP? FUCK THAT SHIT!

And to say she's doing this just to pursue something she wants is pretty empty. There is a level of sacrifice here that both her and her family are making and I would say it is rather unselfish of her to pursue this post. This is a position to make a difference in the United States and for its people. It is a higher calling, not just a power pulpit.

do you suppose God spoke to her and told her to GO FOR IT? :cuckoo:

do you see Obama's candidacy as a higher calling too? or just the right wingers'?

What are your talking about? If there were conservatives on this board making those comments, I would find them to be despicable. But don't act like I made the comments. I never saw those posts. And the people who made those posts are not media journalist and politicians.

Yes, I saw the video when Joe made those comments. Joe was being sexist because the only thing he could come up with to comment on Palin was her looks. He could describe basic differences on policy which would have been very simple. Instead, he had to comment on her looks which is belittling and sexist.

Joe Biden is a mean one and I've seen him in action for quite awhile. He's not the least bit innocent and has a way of talking bad about someone to their face without the person knowing it.
You're an idiot. I wanted to say that to your face so you didn't think I was being mean like Biden.

Last edited by a moderator:
John McCain is guilty of sexism. Did he pick the most qualified woman republican? No, he picked a good looking younger woman who would get votes based on he looks as much as any record she had.

That is sexism, my friend. He is using here "gender" to get votes so please don't just bitch about the left.

Now do we want to go back and look at some of the sexist shit that the right threw at Hillary.

He/she who is without shit, cast the first turd.:lol:

wait, so I'll have to pay for her children's day care while she's VP? FUCK THAT SHIT!

do you suppose God spoke to her and told her to GO FOR IT? :cuckoo:

do you see Obama's candidacy as a higher calling too? or just the right wingers'?

Very difficult to communicate with someone who appears to be fairly angry but I'll try. Paying for Palin's childcare will be no different than paying for Obama's childcare.

If you don't believe in God, then you wouldn't get the point. Seeking the presidency or the vice presidency is a higher calling. Just like many other positions and roles. If Obama feels led to take that role, then so be it.

Forum List

Back