Sex and love?

I am thinking all long the lines of mother Mary lineage the book of Luke.

.love/ not sex.

I'm talking about normal people.
Normal is a relative term. To them its normal.
They're wrong.
What authority told you this and why do you think that view is more valid than theirs?
I want you to think carefully about this.

You're defending incest.

That isn't normal, either.
What gave you the idea I was defending incest by questioning you about your belief system? You still havent explained why you feel your normal is right and theirs is wrong.
It's a moral judgement. Some people don't have morals. Some people have morals but they're fucked up.

Obviously, the OP is speaking of "romantic" love, and not altruistic love or fraternal love, or gastronomic love or some other type.

But all seriousness aside, our culture has a fucked up notion of what "love" is and what "true love" is, and the explanation is never uttered - for reasons I've never understood.

Romantic Love is an intense emotional attachment that is, hopefully, mutually felt between two people (or, if they are Mormons...), and is often the catalyst for marriage.

But Romantic Love is not sufficient to maintain a successful marriage for life. Notice that in the traditional marriage ceremony, the words, "I love you" are never uttered. The operative phrase is, "I promise to love you..." Because Romantic Love comes and goes. There are times when it is felt intensely, and times when The Object of Your Affection actually pisses you off. That's human nature and human life. So when you marry someone - if your head is in the right place - you PROMISE to treat the person with love and respect, regardless of the way you FEEL at any given moment ("Marital Love"). And if the people keep that promise, the long-term emotional bond will grow.

There are two unfortunate facts that run in parallel with these views of Romantic and Marital Love. The first is that even if you "love" your spouse, you might at times feel Romantic Love toward another person. These feelings should be suppressed and avoided if possible, and they MUST be ignored (they will go away inevitably). They can obviously kill a marriage.

The second unfortunate fact (getting back to the OP) is that MEN's desire to copulate is often UNRELATED and REGARDLESS OF to any feeling of "love" or even anything like it. Indeed, most men often want very earnestly to copulate with women who are not their wife, even when they Love their wife, to the death. They often want to copulate with women, in fact, that the don't even LIKE! For example, I would have liked to copulate with the young Jane Fonda even while finding her personality and politics repulsive. Perverse, isn't it?

So the connection between love and sex is tenuous indeed, except in a successful marriage.

Normal is a relative term. To them its normal.
They're wrong.
What authority told you this and why do you think that view is more valid than theirs?

You're defending incest.

What gave you the idea I was defending incest by questioning you about your belief system? You still havent explained why you feel your normal is right and theirs is wrong.
It's a moral judgement. Some people don't have morals. Some people have morals but they're fucked up.
If its a moral judgement who thats infallible says your judgement is correct? How do you know for sure it isnt your morals that are fucked up?

They're wrong.

You're defending incest.

If its a moral judgement who thats infallible says your judgement is correct? How do you know for sure it isnt your morals that are fucked up?
Dood, is there something you want to share with the rest of the class?

You're defending incest.

Other than I noticed you cant seem to rationally explain why your beliefs are correct over what someone else thinks? Dont deflect. Just tell me what makes you right and them "fucked up" as you put it. Can you do that?

You're defending incest.

Other than I noticed you cant seem to rationally explain why your beliefs are correct over what someone else thinks? Dont deflect. Just tell me what makes you right and them "fucked up" as you put it. Can you do that?
Apparently, not so's you'd understand. It'd be like trying to explain a sunset to someone blind from birth.

As far as your claim you're not emotionally invested in defending incest: I gotta call bullshit.

Apparently, not so's you'd understand. It'd be like trying to explain a sunset to someone blind from birth.

As far as your claim you're not emotionally invested in defending incest: I gotta call bullshit.
Funny you used that term. Bullshit is exactly what you have been doing every since you realized you actually have no way to determine if what you think is truth or not. :laugh:

Funny you used that term. Bullshit is exactly what you have been doing every since you realized you actually have no way to determine if what you think is truth or not. :laugh:
Of course I do. As I said, I can't explain it in a way you'd understand...or indeed accept.

It's simple, though, really. I believe incest is immoral.

But since I can't explain to your satisfaction why something I see as insanely obvious is insanely obvious, you apparently think I'M immoral.

If you think you can somehow shame me into changing my mind on the issue, you're vastly overestimating your abilities. And again, I can't help but wonder why you'd want me to.

Of course I do. As I said, I can't explain it in a way you'd understand...or indeed accept.

But since I can't explain to your satisfaction why something I see as insanely obvious is insanely obvious, you apparently think I'M immoral.

If you think you can somehow shame me into changing my mind on the issue, you're vastly overestimating your abilities. And again, I can't help but wonder why you'd want me to.
I dont think your immoral and I could care less if you changed your mind. I just know you believe what you believe but you dont have the ability to explain why you believe it. If you did you wouldnt make up excuses about me not understanding it. You would lay out your reasons in a rational manner. You dont lay out your reasons to convince me. You lay them out to explain your position. People that can explain their position are not afraid of giving answers.

I dont think your immoral and I could care less if you changed your mind. I just know you believe what you believe but you dont have the ability to explain why you believe it. If you did you wouldnt make up excuses about me not understanding it. You would lay out your reasons in a rational manner. You dont lay out your reasons to convince me. You lay them out to explain your position. People that can explain their position are not afraid of giving answers.
I have no idea why you believe your butthurt obligates me to explain anything.

You disagree with me? Whoopty-shit. Your validation is neither sought nor required.

You disagree with me? Whoopty-shit. Your validation is neither sought nor required.
I dont disagree with you. I want to know why you feel what you think is correct. You must have some facts to back your claim instead of just how you feel right?

I dont disagree with you. I want to know why you feel what you think is correct. You must have some facts to back your claim instead of just how you feel right?
I made a moral judgement.

Dood, of all the hills you're willing to die on, this is so insanely not the right one. That too, is a moral judgement.

You're really creeping me out.

I made a moral judgement.

Dood, of all the hills you're willing to die on, this is so insanely not the right one. That too, is a moral judgement.

You're really creeping me out.
I didnt ask you what moral judgement you made. I asked you what made you think you were right. Do you even know?

Forum List

Back