Severe Storms Plowing through Midwest, 2 Dead

Yeah. If you can see that in real time? Your life may be forfeit. I just saw a video of people filming the tornado and I'm like GET. In. The. TRUCK!

My brother snapped a picture of the F5 that hit Tuscaloosa. As he was switching his phone camera to take video he realized he was about to be THAT GUY, so he opted to take cover instead. His actions saved his life.

Massive, tornado-producing storms lash the U.S. Southeast | Reuters

Reports of the death toll varied, but CNN has put it at 29 lives across six states, and scores of people have been injured.

The threat of tornadoes could last for several days as the strong weather system with a large area of unstable air lashed the southern and central United States.

Early on Tuesday morning, a large cluster of thunderstorms pelted Alabama, Georgia and the Florida Panhandle, with tornados likely touching down along the Alabama-Georgia state line. The tornado threat in those areas will briefly weaken before rising again in Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama later on Tuesday morning and afternoon.

"The main severe threat today is down in the central and eastern Gulf Coast," National Weather Service meteorologist Brynn Kerr said, adding that there was potential for severe conditions in Tennessee and the Ohio Valley later on Tuesday.

Oh, not at all. The thread OP is down in GA, and several of our members live in that south and southeast.

It's not over. Today will bring more storms.

Sorry! I thought you were in AL until you posted. Edited to change OP state.

Most of my family & friends are in Alabama, and I am from there.

I currently live in a suburb of Atlanta. Either way worked for me.

Oh, not at all. The thread OP is down in GA, and several of our members live in that south and southeast.

It's not over. Today will bring more storms.

Sorry! I thought you were in AL until you posted. Edited to change OP state.

Most of my family & friends are in Alabama, and I am from there.

I currently live in a suburb of Atlanta. Either way worked for me.

I meant TK, the person who OP (Original Poster)'d this thread. ;)

My thoughts and prayers to everyone who has been affected by the storms so far. Praying that everyone will stay safe today!

Not really..When I was a kid about 12 I would get on top of the roof and take pics of tornadoes. That's when I had a passion to be a photojournalist...On that one day there were 27 funnels clouds and twisters sighted in OKC alone..I believe that was the year Yukon, OK was wiped out, and one tornado hit by my Grandparents house on 32 and May Ave. My Grandfather waited so long when he was running to the shelter a 2x4 hit him in the head and he sleep through the tornado..
When the last big tornado hit Joplin, Mo. There was a tornado spotted about 7 miles away, so my son and I grabbed the camera and set of, all we got was golf ball size hail, I was on the wrong side of the storm..

I live in the hills, and they say that tornadoes become stronger with trees and hills, but I have lived here since Sept 11, 2001 and have yet to have one hit my place..

I wonder about that connection as well as the possible connection with global climate change.

Our lake house is in rolling hills too and we were hit a couple of years ago. We were in Paris and got a call from a neighbor. Minimal damage and very weird the way it skipped some things and wiped other others.

On Sunday, we saw a funnel cloud on the other side of the lake from us and took cover but luckily, it didn't come our way.

This thread has been made a temporary sticky at the suggestion of BDBOOP. Keep your posts relevant to the OP, no AGW or other political discussion in this thread, there are plenty of other places for those. I WILL be keeping an eye on this thread and keeping it clean for the duration.

This thread has been made a temporary sticky at the suggestion of BDBOOP. Keep your posts relevant to the OP, no AGW or other political discussion in this thread, there are plenty of other places for those. I WILL be keeping an eye on this thread and keeping it clean for the duration.

Thanks.

Just heard more about the UA student-athlete who was killed in the storms last night.

He and his g/f were in the basement when the retaining wall collapsed as a tornado hit. He was protecting her and took the brunt of the blow. He died at DCH.

Bless those who lost their lives, especially those who died protecting loved ones.

You are the man. Thanks, westwall.

Just heard more about the UA student-athlete who was killed in the storms last night.

He and his g/f were in the basement when the retaining wall collapsed as a tornado hit. He was protecting her and took the brunt of the blow. He died at DCH.

Bless those who lost their lives, especially those who died protecting loved ones.

The kid's a hero.

It is about the conditions that breed the type of storms that produce tornados. The better we can predict those conditions as they build, the more people can get an early warning. The reverse 911 calls are just one significant effort in this direction.

With more to come.

WASHINGTON: At least 35 people were killed in tornadoes that ravaged neighborhoods across six states, US media said Tuesday, but Mother Nature was not done yet and was threatening to unleash hail the size of baseballs.
In hard-hit Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee, at least 17 people were killed Monday, CNN television said. Another 18 were reported dead in Arkansas, Iowa and Oklahoma on Sunday.

But forecasters warned more brutal weather was set to hit, affecting an estimated 70 million people.

The National Weather Service said that “severe thunderstorms” were expected in eastern and southern Mississippi, western Alabama and extreme eastern Louisiana.

It also forecast several tornadoes, some of them “intense,” baseball-sized hail and damaging winds.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/us-tornadoes-kill-35-millions-brace-for-more-1.583202

Forum List

Back