Settlers

Most of the posters here, people who are obsessed with Palestine, view the settlers in Judea and Samaria, as the most evil people on the planet. However, alot of them are brave people, striving to maintain a Jewish presence in the birthplace of the Jewish people. Except for Beersheba, every important Biblical city, can be found "davka" in the West Bank. There is Hebron, where Abraham lived and was buried; Bethlehem, where the shepherd, warrior and poet David was born, and first crowned King of Israel; Shiloh, where the Tabernacle stood; Jericho, where the walls fell down for Joshua; Bethel, where Jacob dreamt of a staircase to Heaven; and Shechem, where Joseph, who wore a technicolor dreamcoat, was laid to rest. It's ironic that a Jew can live in Amsterdam, Berlin or New York, but not where Judaism was born. Let's remember that the Jews were driven out of Hebron in 1927, after a horrific massacre. These settlers live among a multitude of hostile and bloodthirsty Arabs, in order to preserve their history and heritage. They carry guns in order to survive. Even if a 23rd backward Arab nation should arise over there, shouldn't Jews still be able to live there? I, for one, think so. And Jerusalem, at least, should remain the united capital of Israel; otherwise, the miraculous Six-Day War would have meant nothing at all.

People talk shame and filth about the settlers, yet after htey die you really learn how brave and righteous they really were.

Yana'i Vaisman, a settler who was killed a few days ago by Palestinian terrorist, die in attempt of saving another Israeli who was attacked from behind by the stabber.

Dafna Meir, who died a month ago, was killed in front of her children while trying to protect them. She worked on projects trying to improve women's status, improving relations between religious and secular Israelis. She took four orphans into her home.

Above the bed of Yo'av Fogel, 10, he wrote, "May G-d give me the strength of loving every person in Israel like my own soul and spirit, and be good and kind to my parents." Yo'av was murdered in his sleep. His sister, Tamar, suceeded in saving two of her remaining siblings, risking her own life in the process.

These are the settlers. A true exampe for us all.

My argument? That the settlers aren't necessarily so noble and honorable. They present a huge problem the Israeli government - at least those further out. They represent an extremist ideology that is as intolerant and extreme as the Palestinian extremists. They are the ones responsible for the firebombing that burned a family alive. They certainly don't represent the mainstream Israeli view but they are a sizeable minority. In this case - it's also the Jews that have to learn to tolerate Arab neighbors.

Okay, a couple things.

1. Using the term "settlers" is problematic, imo. "Settlers" is just a term for Jewish people living on the "wrong" side of some imaginary line which has absolutely no legal relevance to the sovereignty of Israel or the potential sovereignty of an eventual Palestine. All this talk about Jewish people living on the "wrong" side of the line is one-sided and unfair. So, what we are really talking about here, or should be talking about are extremists on both sides.

2. What makes an extremist? What is to be considered an extremist or intolerant ideology? The ideology of the Palestinians and the Jewish people seems significantly different to me. Perhaps you can explain to me what this extremist Jewish ideology is and compare and contrast this with Palestinian extremism.

3. Extremist Jews do not represent mainstream Israeli society. Do extremist Palestinians represent mainstream Palestinian society? Some polls would certainly suggest so. With 85% of Palestinians believing that terror attacks are justified, I'm rather inclined to believe that it is significantly more mainstream than in Israeli society.

4. The Jewish people have demonstrated an ability to tolerate (welcome) Arabs. There can be no question that this is so as the evidence is obvious in Israel. This is not reciprocated by the Arab Muslims.

5. Baruch Goldstein is no hero. His actions should be condemned by everyone in no uncertain terms and I do so now. Goals, like the one he had, should be achieved through peaceful means, not the murder of innocents.

1. The word "settler" is no problematic, it is what people make of it. In hebrew, the world 'settlers' translate "Mitnach'lim", "מתנחלים", rooted in the word "Nachala", which means "Land of inheritance". meaning the "settlers" are the ones who sit on the ancestors' land. not only the world is not originally offensive, but it's the actually both true and the politically correct one. Nowdays, Israeli Liberals and Jew-haters made the word something of shame. Without a true reason.

2. Way I see it, Palestinian die in order to reach the next world. Israelis die so their children could live normally in THIS one.

3. True.

4. Also true.

5. MEGA true.

LOL no. Again your just trying to find an equivalency and there just isn't one.

Did Damler learn to kill from his parents ?

Just because a few Israeli kids descend to the same level as the Arab masses doesn't mean the Israeli school system is in the mud with the UNWRA school system.

Do we really need to compare curriculums and see the differences ?

Considering she hit the "funny" button for a post of mine lamenting the murders of Bobby Kennedy and the Israel athletes at Munich, with a mindset like that, I don't think you will get anywhere. Those who not only support murder but think it is funny are too far beyond redemption to be reasoned with.

Needless to say, she uses these obviously false equivalencies of hers in order to advance her hateful agenda, and that agenda always boils down to dead Jews, doesn't it?

Just because a few Israeli kids descend to the same level as the Arab masses doesn't mean the Israeli school system is in the mud with the UNWRA school system.

So all these children, throwing stones at Palestinian just came up with the hate by themselves? Like the people who sheltered the extremist settler that firebombed a Palestinian family burning them alive? Hate just...happened?

Unacceptable ‘helplessness’ in the face of settler extremists
Why Not Add Violent Jewish Settler Extremists to Terror Watch List? The Washington Note by Steven Clemons

Lawlessness Begets Extremism
For Palestinians in the West Bank, the sense of helplessness and frustration must be enormous. When they are attacked, they can almost never hope for justice within the framework of the legal system. Nor are they allowed to defend themselves. Nor can they expect the IDF to protect them. And even when they protest these injustices using nonviolent methods – marching, chanting and waving flags – they are punished with arrests and violence, with dehumanizing skunk gas and beatings. So what happens when there is no legal recourse or justice for the injured and no real civic structure, and when the moderates are systematically crushed? Surely these are the ideal psychological circumstances that make people vulnerable to the beckoning finger of extremism.

This is an important point, underscored by increasing settler violence. When mosques are vandalized and farmers are attacked with impunity, only a small step further is needed before lawlessness becomes rampant and even soldiers are attacked. This is what happened in Yitzhar just a few days ago when residents of the settlement, some say students of a Yeshiva on the settlement, attacked and injured IDF soldiers. The security forces are clearly pissed:
How about teaching hate? We always see the flood of pictures showing Palestinian kids dressed in suicide vest costumes or playing with guns...but it is not just there.

When Israelis Teach Their Kids To Hate

Little kids throw mock grenades and pretend to shoot big guns; a boy crawls militant-style as gun-wielding adults cheer him on; a girl wearing a pink dress carries a rocket launcher twice her size.

These are some of the disturbing photos that flooded out of the West Bank earlier this week on Israel’s Independence Day, or what Palestinians call the Nakba (Catastrophe).

I can imagine that despair and hopelessness probably rattled the Jewish community. How could there ever be peace when kids are trained to aspire toward violence and militancy?

At my old Jewish day school, there was probably a lot of chatter about how this was further proof that only military force could work to quell violence. The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) was probably all over the story. Palestinian Media Watch, too.

But instead, when I turned on my computer this morning, I couldn’t find a thing on any of the sites that track hate in the Middle East. None of my newsy friends even dedicated a Facebook status. No one seemed to really care. And for one reason: the people in question weren’t Palestinians, but right-wing Jewish settlers.

w-kids-to-hate.jpg.jpg

Gideon Levy, a Haaretz columnist, noted the striking similarities between these photos and the Palestinian glorification of violence. “Where else do they force a little child to crawl with a backpack on his back? When Hamas treats its children like this, Israeli parents tut-tut with disgust: Look at these beasts.”

http://www.economist.com/blogs/pomegranate/2013/02/israeli-and-palestinian-textbooks

Oh yes. Hatred is learned and someone has to teach the children.

You really bring a material of Gideon Levi and expect us to take you seriously.

Considering she hit the "funny" button for a post of mine lamenting the murders of Bobby Kennedy and the Israel athletes at Munich, with a mindset like that, I don't think you will get anywhere. Those who not only support murder but think it is funny are too far beyond redemption to be reasoned with.

Needless to say, she uses these obviously false equivalencies of hers in order to advance her hateful agenda, and that agenda always boils down to dead Jews, doesn't it?

So all these children, throwing stones at Palestinian just came up with the hate by themselves? Like the people who sheltered the extremist settler that firebombed a Palestinian family burning them alive? Hate just...happened?

Unacceptable ‘helplessness’ in the face of settler extremists
Why Not Add Violent Jewish Settler Extremists to Terror Watch List? The Washington Note by Steven Clemons

Lawlessness Begets Extremism
For Palestinians in the West Bank, the sense of helplessness and frustration must be enormous. When they are attacked, they can almost never hope for justice within the framework of the legal system. Nor are they allowed to defend themselves. Nor can they expect the IDF to protect them. And even when they protest these injustices using nonviolent methods – marching, chanting and waving flags – they are punished with arrests and violence, with dehumanizing skunk gas and beatings. So what happens when there is no legal recourse or justice for the injured and no real civic structure, and when the moderates are systematically crushed? Surely these are the ideal psychological circumstances that make people vulnerable to the beckoning finger of extremism.
This is an important point, underscored by increasing settler violence. When mosques are vandalized and farmers are attacked with impunity, only a small step further is needed before lawlessness becomes rampant and even soldiers are attacked. This is what happened in Yitzhar just a few days ago when residents of the settlement, some say students of a Yeshiva on the settlement, attacked and injured IDF soldiers. The security forces are clearly pissed:
How about teaching hate? We always see the flood of pictures showing Palestinian kids dressed in suicide vest costumes or playing with guns...but it is not just there.

When Israelis Teach Their Kids To Hate

Little kids throw mock grenades and pretend to shoot big guns; a boy crawls militant-style as gun-wielding adults cheer him on; a girl wearing a pink dress carries a rocket launcher twice her size.

These are some of the disturbing photos that flooded out of the West Bank earlier this week on Israel’s Independence Day, or what Palestinians call the Nakba (Catastrophe).

I can imagine that despair and hopelessness probably rattled the Jewish community. How could there ever be peace when kids are trained to aspire toward violence and militancy?

At my old Jewish day school, there was probably a lot of chatter about how this was further proof that only military force could work to quell violence. The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) was probably all over the story. Palestinian Media Watch, too.

But instead, when I turned on my computer this morning, I couldn’t find a thing on any of the sites that track hate in the Middle East. None of my newsy friends even dedicated a Facebook status. No one seemed to really care. And for one reason: the people in question weren’t Palestinians, but right-wing Jewish settlers.

w-kids-to-hate.jpg.jpg

Gideon Levy, a Haaretz columnist, noted the striking similarities between these photos and the Palestinian glorification of violence. “Where else do they force a little child to crawl with a backpack on his back? When Hamas treats its children like this, Israeli parents tut-tut with disgust: Look at these beasts.”

http://www.economist.com/blogs/pomegranate/2013/02/israeli-and-palestinian-textbooks

Oh yes. Hatred is learned and someone has to teach the children.

You really bring a material of Gideon Levi and expect us to take you seriously.

You seem to expect the same with your pro-Israel sources.

Do you have a problem with the other sources used?

Most of the posters here, people who are obsessed with Palestine, view the settlers in Judea and Samaria, as the most evil people on the planet. However, alot of them are brave people, striving to maintain a Jewish presence in the birthplace of the Jewish people. Except for Beersheba, every important Biblical city, can be found "davka" in the West Bank. There is Hebron, where Abraham lived and was buried; Bethlehem, where the shepherd, warrior and poet David was born, and first crowned King of Israel; Shiloh, where the Tabernacle stood; Jericho, where the walls fell down for Joshua; Bethel, where Jacob dreamt of a staircase to Heaven; and Shechem, where Joseph, who wore a technicolor dreamcoat, was laid to rest. It's ironic that a Jew can live in Amsterdam, Berlin or New York, but not where Judaism was born. Let's remember that the Jews were driven out of Hebron in 1927, after a horrific massacre. These settlers live among a multitude of hostile and bloodthirsty Arabs, in order to preserve their history and heritage. They carry guns in order to survive. Even if a 23rd backward Arab nation should arise over there, shouldn't Jews still be able to live there? I, for one, think so. And Jerusalem, at least, should remain the united capital of Israel; otherwise, the miraculous Six-Day War would have meant nothing at all.

People talk shame and filth about the settlers, yet after htey die you really learn how brave and righteous they really were.

Yana'i Vaisman, a settler who was killed a few days ago by Palestinian terrorist, die in attempt of saving another Israeli who was attacked from behind by the stabber.

Dafna Meir, who died a month ago, was killed in front of her children while trying to protect them. She worked on projects trying to improve women's status, improving relations between religious and secular Israelis. She took four orphans into her home.

Above the bed of Yo'av Fogel, 10, he wrote, "May G-d give me the strength of loving every person in Israel like my own soul and spirit, and be good and kind to my parents." Yo'av was murdered in his sleep. His sister, Tamar, suceeded in saving two of her remaining siblings, risking her own life in the process.

So are the ones that burned a family alive while they were sleeping.

So are the ones that destroy olive groves, steal Palestinian land, and destroy property.

So are the ones that have assaulted and severaly beaten or killed Paletinians attempting to farm.

So are the ones that pelt children with stones.

Which are the true settlers?

And why is it you are so willing to prove that the settlers are varied but deny Palestinians the same individuality?
The moment two Palestinians stopped an Israeli woman getting hit by rocks

Not all, but the Gideon Levi bullshit caught my eye first thing.

Israelis don't need to teach their children to hate. The hate comes later on.

Palestinian nurse their hate from their mothers' breastmilk.

So are the ones that destroy olive groves, steal Palestinian land, and destroy property.

So are the ones that have assaulted and severaly beaten or killed Paletinians attempting to farm.

And why is it you are so willing to prove that the settlers are varied but deny Palestinians the same individuality?

Because they are an angry mob, who had not yet proved to be able to think individualy, in my eyes.

Call me drastic, but that's my opinion.

And I think It's pathetic, you take ONE extreme, VERY extreme case, so extreme that you immediately point it out, and from that you call settlers "those who burn babies." That's kind of, really, pathetic. Most Israelis, settlers included, are appalled by this action. Yet every day you hear of Palestinian children, CHILDREN! MURDERING our sons and daughters. 12 and 14 and 16 year olds! already killers without regret. Those who raise their kids this way don't deserve to be cut any slack. Sorry.

Settlers don't seem any different - small children don't start out hating. Someone teaches them. Just like someone teaches them that it's ok to firebomb a house if it's Palestinian, or it's ok to destroy their livelyhood because they want them gone, someone hides and protects and apologizes for their acts. Hate is taught and it's nourished.

Because they are an angry mob, who had not yet proved to be able to think individualy, in my eyes.

And I think It's pathetic, you take ONE extreme, VERY extreme case, so extreme that you immediately point it out, and from that you call settlers "those who burn babies." That's kind of, really, pathetic. Most Israelis, settlers included, are appalled by this action. Yet every day you hear of Palestinian children, CHILDREN! MURDERING our sons and daughters. 12 and 14 and 16 year olds! already killers without regret. Those who raise their kids this way don't deserve to be cut any slack. Sorry.

The settlers have a long standing history of violence towards Palestinians that has only lately been confronted by authorities. Why do you think IDF has to accompany Palestinian children going to school? What is pathetic is you constantly make excuses when they do the same thing the Palestinian extremists do - you cut them slack. Even when they burned that family - you cut them slack. But when Palestinians do it - it's somehow different. Well, it's not. Extremism is extremism and murder is murder. And someone TEACHES those young people that it's their right to kill, maim and destroy - Palestinian and Settler alike.

Settlers don't seem any different - small children don't start out hating. Someone teaches them. Just like someone teaches them that it's ok to firebomb a house if it's Palestinian, or it's ok to destroy their livelyhood because they want them gone, someone hides and protects and apologizes for their acts. Hate is taught and it's nourished.

Yes. And it can be dealt with. Racheli Frankel, after her son was kidnapped, beaten, then murdered, called out to fellow settlers to not act on vengeance, because innocent Palestinians will be hurt and the Jewish soul will be corrupted. The Dawabshe grandpa called to kill Israelis in response to the arson.

This is why I don't give Palestinians any excuses. Because they didn't earn it.

The settlers have a long standing history of violence towards Palestinians that has only lately been confronted by authorities. Why do you think IDF has to accompany Palestinian children going to school? What is pathetic is you constantly make excuses when they do the same thing the Palestinian extremists do - you cut them slack. Even when they burned that family - you cut them slack. But when Palestinians do it - it's somehow different. Well, it's not. Extremism is extremism and murder is murder. And someone TEACHES those young people that it's their right to kill, maim and destroy - Palestinian and Settler alike.

Oh, we heard of many of their "violence". Acts without victims like cutting some olive trees and burning some Quran books. Not to mention the awful crime of grafditi. Yeah, horrible.

The actual violence against Palestinians began, as you said, in the last time period. Like the Dawabshe case. A case so insane and extremist that it immediately caught titles. The murder of the Shabo family didn't get that much attention. Ever heard of it? you can look it up. It was the first roll of a butchered family. many years before the Fogels. How about the Henkin family carnage? how much title did that case get? I wonder.

For the record, I never cut slack of the Dawabshe case. I was one of the only posters who openly condemned it on the official discussion. So please, at least don't spell out nonsense.

Extremism is extremism. It's just more common in some communities than others.

Yes. And it can be dealt with. Racheli Frankel, after her son was kidnapped, beaten, then murdered, called out to fellow settlers to not act on vengeance, because innocent Palestinians will be hurt and the Jewish soul will be corrupted. The Dawabshe grandpa called to kill Israelis in response to the arson.

This is why I don't give Palestinians any excuses. Because they didn't earn it.

Really?

A group of Palestinians protected a price-tag gang from a general lynching until Israeli authorities could arrive.

Or how about this man: Two Palestinian Men Called ‘Traitors’ After They Protected a Female Israeli Police Officer During a Violent Confrontation

Or how about this Palestinian, who has every reason to hate the Israeli's but would rather work for peace and reconciliation? http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/books/22doctor.html?_r=0

Oh, we heard of many of their "violence". Acts without victims like cutting some olive trees and burning some Quran books. Not to mention the awful crime of grafditi. Yeah, horrible.

The actual violence against Palestinians began, as you said, in the last time period. Like the Dawabshe case. A case so insane and extremist that it immediately caught titles. The murder of the Shabo family didn't get that much attention. Ever heard of it? you can look it up. It was the first roll of a butchered family. many years before the Fogels. How about the Henkin family carnage? how much title did that case get? I wonder.

For the record, I never cut slack of the Dawabshe case. I was one of the only posters who openly condemned it on the official discussion. So please, at least don't spell out nonsense.

Yes, go ahead and laugh at "cutting some olive trees" like it's nothing. It's their livelyhood. It's destroying acres of groves that take years to mature.

When it came to the Dwawbshe case, you stated that though you condemned it, you still stood with them, something to that effect.

I laugh at the "cutting of trees" not because it's nothing. Trees are God's creation, like people.

I laugh at this because those cases have been proven on numerous times to be staged by Palestinians who cut the trees then blamed it on the settlers. And since we don't know how many of those cases were staged, I will assume those were most.

Yes, go ahead and laugh at "cutting some olive trees" like it's nothing. It's their livelyhood. It's destroying acres of groves that take years to mature.

When it came to the Dwawbshe case, you stated that though you condemned it, you still stood with them, something to that effect.

What I said that even when Jews make horrible crimes, in Judaism there's a saying "Kol Israel Arevim". Which means, "All of Israel responsible". which means that in times of wrong doing, you don't turn your back on the wrong doing, you pray and act for them to see their bad deeds. You don't pretend it didn't happen. you vauch for them. If we start giving up on each other, then the enemy wins.

In no place I tried making excuses for them and saying this behavior is tolerated or should be forgiven in any way. When you have a brother who committed a crime, you lock them up, you're harsh on them, but you don't stop caring for them and wishing for them to change their bad ways. In no way it means you agree with the crime of accept it.

I laugh at the "cutting of trees" not because it's nothing. Trees are God's creation, like people.

I laugh at this because those cases have been proven on numerous times to be staged by Palestinians who cut the trees then blamed it on the settlers. And since we don't know how many of those cases were staged, I will assume those were most.

Actually, they have not been proven "numerous times" - more often then not, it is the settlers and there is plenty of evidence supporting that. Of course you will assume most were - whether it's true or not you won't look any further because settlers can't possibly do wrong and the Palestinians can't possibly be right. You've pretty much said it doesn't matter what they do.

The Palestinians take encourage meant from people with the exact thinking you have, to find it legitimate in killing more Jews. I used to support the settlers nad always will.

Even when they stone people, burn them alive, murder them, destroy their property? Meh.

Israeli Settler Violence On The Rise: Homes Stoned Near Jenin, East Jerusalem Tagged With Racist Graffiti

Yes, Meh.

Some of them may be radical, that's true, but they'll always have my support because they're my people. In case they get hurt, I'll pray for their well-being. In case they're the ones hurting, I'll pray for their redemption and hope of correcting their ways. But they'll have my sympathy no matter what they think or what they do.

Actually, they have not been proven "numerous times" - more often then not, it is the settlers and there is plenty of evidence supporting that. Of course you will assume most were - whether it's true or not you won't look any further because settlers can't possibly do wrong and the Palestinians can't possibly be right. You've pretty much said it doesn't matter what they do.

The Palestinians take encourage meant from people with the exact thinking you have, to find it legitimate in killing more Jews. I used to support the settlers nad always will.

Even when they stone people, burn them alive, murder them, destroy their property? Meh.

Israeli Settler Violence On The Rise: Homes Stoned Near Jenin, East Jerusalem Tagged With Racist Graffiti

Yes, Meh.

Some of them may be radical, that's true, but they'll always have my support because they're my people. In case they get hurt, I'll pray for their well-being. In case they're the ones hurting, I'll pray for their redemption and hope of correcting their ways. But they'll have my sympathy no matter what they think or what they do.

Wow. You're reaching.

I never said or implied such thing.

Yes, Meh.

Wow. You're reaching.

I never said or implied such thing.

It's what I got out of that quote and your willingness to forgive their extremes but condemn the Palestinians for the same.

Forum List

Back