Sept 14, 326

Where is it?

Why would anyone be buried with a cross?

The point being she had faith enough to search for and find Christ....

Where is it?

Why would anyone be buried with a cross?
True Cross – Liebana, Spain (and many other locations)
There is no object more closely associated with Helena than the True Cross. One of the main reasons for her pilgrimage was to recover the cross upon which Jesus had been crucified. As the story goes, three crosses were discovered buried beneath a pagan temple which the empress had ordered demolished. It was assumed that these were the crosses of Jesus and the two thieves. She identified the True Cross by using it to heal a direly sick woman. The Cross was subsequently brought back to Europe as a prize of the early church.

Once in Europe, accounts of the cross began to spread, and diverge, like wild fire. Countless pieces and splinters began showing up all over the continent. Many of these came from Helena’s True Cross, the largest piece of which is kept at the Monastery of Santo Toribio de Liebana in Spain. The great majority, however, were forgeries (many made from wood that does not even exist in the Holy Land).

While Helena’s cross probably did come from Jerusalem, and while it almost certainly was a real cross in the sense that it was used for executions, there would have been hundreds, if not thousands of such crosses in Judea. Most of these would have been used for firewood after too many uses. Based on this it is highly unlikely that Helena’s True Cross was the actual cross from the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth. Verdict: Highly Unlikely

You can see the wood in the windows of the cross.

Last edited:
If it healed a sick woman, pieces should still heal right?
But it doesn't. Does jesus magic have an expiration date?

upload_2019-9-13_16-59-17.png

Who sez it doesn't?
If it did, you dont think it would be front page news? People lined up to be saved?
Wouldnt the Christian's be curing kids cancer at st judes?
Of course they would. It would be modern day proof.

Even if Christ appeared to them in person, the non-believers would stubbornly cling to their lack of faith, and continue to support abortion and other wicked practices that offend God and the dignity of human personhood.

She sounds gullible
Oh, I think good Helena knew her business. Her son had just made a big deal about Christianity and she was given her marching orders: Go to Jerusalem and find some souvenirs, put up a few "Jesus slept here" signs and come home. She was the first advertising agency for Christianity.

Did she put on a good show about believing it all? Actually, some of the sites she found might have had true historical value--it was only 300 years since Jesus's death and it was a city full of holy people and holy places. Christ and the saints had a good chance of being remembered, I would guess.

Just fyi, I found an article that got all screwed up so I couldn't copy it, that if you collected all the relics of the True Cross, you could build a ship with them. To the faithful, the Cross is like the bread and fishes. Because it's Jesus's, it just keeps magically increasing.

Last edited:
She sounds gullible
Oh, I think good Helena knew her business. Her husband had just made a big deal about Christianity and she was given her marching orders: Go to Rome and find some souvenirs, put up a few "Jesus slept here" signs and come home. She was the first advertising agency for Christianity.

Did she put on a good show about believing it all? Actually, some of the sites she found might have had true historical value--it was only 300 years since Jesus's death and it was a city full of holy people and holy places. Christ and the saints had a good chance of being remembered, I would guess.

Just fyi, I found an article that got all screwed up so I couldn't copy it, that if you collected all the relics of the True Cross, you could build a ship with them. To the faithful, the Cross is like the bread and fishes. Because it's Jesus's, it just keeps magically increasing.

Helena was Emperor Constantine's mum- not his wife.

Who sez it doesn't?
If it did, you dont think it would be front page news? People lined up to be saved?

Actually, Christ is healing all kinds of people even today.

One of Ohio's greatest theologians, the Rev. Ernest Angley explains to a liberal reporter.

She sounds gullible
Oh, I think good Helena knew her business. Her husband had just made a big deal about Christianity and she was given her marching orders: Go to Jerusalem and find some souvenirs, put up a few "Jesus slept here" signs and come home. She was the first advertising agency for Christianity.

To collect pieces of a cross someone suffered and died on sounds pretty sick

Would you save pieces of a rope someone hanged on?

She sounds gullible
Oh, I think good Helena knew her business. Her husband had just made a big deal about Christianity and she was given her marching orders: Go to Jerusalem and find some souvenirs, put up a few "Jesus slept here" signs and come home. She was the first advertising agency for Christianity.

To collect pieces of a cross someone suffered and died on sounds pretty sick

Would you save pieces of a rope someone hanged on?
To be fair, christ is the most known person in history.

Who sez it doesn't?
One of my cousins got multiple sclerosis when she was only 32 or so--two young boys to raise and she was soon in a wheelchair. She went to a priest who was a faith healer. He did a laying on of hands and she walked out of his office and was symptom free (or close to it) for over five years. Then it barrelled back down on her and a few years later she died. But how do you explain an instantaneous remission like that except to say it's a miracle? Did you see that priest on the front page of the Times? Is he a household name? A visitor on Oprah?
Sometimes we don't hear about cool stuff, TN. I'm not sayin' that relic does anything, but "miracles" happen some days. I'm sure there's an explanation, but I got nothing against unexplained good stuff. We get enough unexplained bad stuff. Fair is fair.

She sounds gullible
Oh, I think good Helena knew her business. Her husband had just made a big deal about Christianity and she was given her marching orders: Go to Rome and find some souvenirs, put up a few "Jesus slept here" signs and come home. She was the first advertising agency for Christianity.

Helena was Emperor Constantine's mum- not his wife.
Thanks!

Forum List

Back