Sept 14, 326

The point being she had faith enough to search for and find Christ....
She sounds gullible
Oh, I think good Helena knew her business. Her husband had just made a big deal about Christianity and she was given her marching orders: Go to Jerusalem and find some souvenirs, put up a few "Jesus slept here" signs and come home. She was the first advertising agency for Christianity.

Did she put on a good show about believing it all? Actually, some of the sites she found might have had true historical value--it was only 300 years since Jesus's death and it was a city full of holy people and holy places. Christ and the saints had a good chance of being remembered, I would guess.

Just fyi, I found an article that got all screwed up so I couldn't copy it, that if you collected all the relics of the True Cross, you could build a ship with them. To the faithful, the Cross is like the bread and fishes. Because it's Jesus's, it just keeps magically increasing.
To collect pieces of a cross someone suffered and died on sounds pretty sick

Would you save pieces of a rope someone hanged on?
To be fair, christ is the most known person in history.
He is now

Back then he wasn’t such a Rock Star
Why would anyone be buried with the cross they died on along with the crosses of two unrelated men?

She sounds gullible
Oh, I think good Helena knew her business. Her husband had just made a big deal about Christianity and she was given her marching orders: Go to Jerusalem and find some souvenirs, put up a few "Jesus slept here" signs and come home. She was the first advertising agency for Christianity.

Did she put on a good show about believing it all? Actually, some of the sites she found might have had true historical value--it was only 300 years since Jesus's death and it was a city full of holy people and holy places. Christ and the saints had a good chance of being remembered, I would guess.

Just fyi, I found an article that got all screwed up so I couldn't copy it, that if you collected all the relics of the True Cross, you could build a ship with them. To the faithful, the Cross is like the bread and fishes. Because it's Jesus's, it just keeps magically increasing.

I hear ya. I think the whole obsession with his crucifixion and the ritual of eating his body and drinking his blood freaks me out, too. I never have anything to do with Easter celebrations except chocolate bunnies because the religious part is SO grisly.

She sounds gullible

He is now

Why would anyone be buried with the cross they died on along with the crosses of two unrelated men?
?The article said the crosses were buried beneath a pagan temple being torn down. Helena thought they must be the cross of Christ and the two thieves. No one said he was buried with them.

She sounds gullible

He is now

?The article said the crosses were buried beneath a pagan temple being torn down. Helena thought they must be the cross of Christ and the two thieves. No one said he was buried with them.
Doesn’t make sense

Wouldn’t crosses just be reused or burned when they are no longer needed?

He is now

Doesn’t make sense

Yes. But these were indeed buried beneath a pagan temple. Maybe that was Helen's thinking, too. How strange to bury them...
why would they be saved instead of burned? So she figures....must be important crosses...what three important people got crucified....

you following me, rightwinger?

He is now

Doesn’t make sense

I don't know, that is one of the mysteries of antiquity. Unfortunately, the principals in the incident are all deceased, so there is no way to really know for sure. But a number of the Roman soldiers, or centurions were really impressed by Jesus, as one is recorded.

She sounds gullible

Catholicism is metaphorical....I don't really go for the whole cross thing either but you must look for the message inside of it....I have a funny saying that if Jesus died in an Edsel....they would still be making them....

Forum List

Back