Senator Marco Rubio 'Gets It'!

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
An excerpt from an e-mail from The Junior Senator from Florida:

The looming debt crisis threatens the financial security of our nation and jeopardizes our chances of rebounding from the financial events of 2008. We are approaching a decisive vote in which Washington will either raise our debt ceiling, effectively indebting our nation further, or be forced to work within our allotted budget. I will not vote to raise the debt limit, unless it is the last time we ever vote to raise it and it is accompanied by a plan for fundamental tax reform, an overhaul of our regulatory structure, a cut to discretionary spending, a balanced-budget amendment, and reforms to save Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.​

Emphasis added by me...

Fair Taxes, Appropriate Regulation, A Budget Balanced by Law

:clap2: A politician who 'gets it'!

Ass-U-Me-ing Senator Rubio produces a voting record that doesn't relegate the above to typical political bullshit, he'll never not get my vote.

:rock: Rubio Rocks!!

Dear Mr. AVG-JOE and Mrs. AVG-WIFE,

Thank you for contacting me in regard to the debt ceiling and its effects on our economy. As Florida's junior Senator, it is my priority to help stabilize our economy, increase the availability of jobs and attract investment to promote the growth of business. In order to reach these goals, our debt must be reduced significantly and we must avoid short-term fixes that threaten the long-term fiscal health of our nation.

The "debt ceiling" is the total amount of money owed by the United States by both the general public and the federal government to either foreign or domestic lenders. If the debt ceiling is surpassed, our nation will not go into default as some suggest. The debt ceiling can be raised, lowered or remain the same when Congress allows it to come to a vote. What we must do is prioritize our debt payments in the event that the ceiling is not raised, proposed by Senator Toomey's bill The Full Faith and Credit Act.

The looming debt crisis threatens the financial security of our nation and jeopardizes our chances of rebounding from the financial events of 2008. We are approaching a decisive vote in which Washington will either raise our debt ceiling, effectively indebting our nation further, or be forced to work within our allotted budget. I will not vote to raise the debt limit, unless it is the last time we ever vote to raise it and it is accompanied by a plan for fundamental tax reform, an overhaul of our regulatory structure, a cut to discretionary spending, a balanced-budget amendment, and reforms to save Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

A growing deficit and a staggering debt are crippling our economy. There are significant changes we can make to ensure that our debt is diminished, including tax reform. Tax reform would simplify our tax code, making it easier for individuals and businesses to comply. This would encourage investment, both foreign and domestic, in America and its future.

For example, Chairman Dave Camp has proposed to lower and simplify tax rates, close loopholes, and make permanent low rates on capital gains and dividends. Senator Rand Paul, meanwhile, has a bill that would require an up-or-down vote on "major" regulations, those that cost the economy $100 million or more. I support these goals.

I have also signed the Cut, Cap and Balance pledge which asks Senators and members of Congress to pass enforceable spending caps and pass a balanced budget amendment. With these three critical components in place, we can begin to restore fiscal sanity by reducing future deficits and minimizing our massive $14.3 trillion debt. Requiring a balanced budget will ensure that lawmakers can no longer pay for programs on the backs of future generations.

Some of the most significant strains on our budget are entitlement programs, which must be reformed in order to be sustainable for future generations and reducing our debt. I am committed to fulfilling the promise of retirement security. However, we must gradually reform the system to ensure the solvency of Social Security for future generations. Medicare, if not reformed, will go bankrupt in within the next ten years. Any changes I would support would not affect those in or near retirement, who would stay in the current system and receive the benefits they have earned.

Our fiscal problems today are due to decades of profligate spending by both parties. We have a job-crushing debt because Washington has repeatedly postponed the tough decisions for someone else to deal with down the road. The American people have every reason to be disappointed by Washington politicians who either don't understand the seriousness of our fiscal crisis, or who are simply not willing to confront this challenge. Simply raising the debt ceiling without implementing serious reforms will only drive us further into debt. I thank you again for your input and will keep your thoughts in mind as I work to ensure economic security for our state and nation.

Sincerely,

A

Marco Rubio

United States Senator

MR/nc1

A politician who 'gets it'!

He gets how to pander to the base, he’s a blind partisan and ideologue.

And a balanced-budget amendment would be an unmitigated disaster, it’s a cynical political contrivance by the right in an effort to forever do away with hated social programs and entitlements, to the detriment of the working middle class, elderly, and disabled.

Subjective political dogma – left or right – should be kept out of the Constitution.

I don't understand how defaulting on our debt is a good thing, please explain.
Not raising the debt ceiling is not defaulting. Its just giving the politicians more money to spend on candy!
How about you give me one of your credit cards so I can spend on things you never get to use or see and when it runs out I will call you so you can call your bank to raise your limit so I can spend more of what you will never see ....
Eat your peas .... suck it up and just before election time I will have to lay off hundreds of thousands more Americans !!

Here's the way an economist friend of mine put it.... (and he's a liberal, in case that matters)....

If you have a teenager, who's just got his/her first car, and you - being a nice supportive parent - say 'here's a credit card for gas money. The limit it $300'. A week later, your kid comes back, complaining that the card is maxed out. You discover that he/she bought some clothes, paid for dinner when out with their friends. So, you raise the limit to $600 and say 'this is just for gas - do not spend it on anything else'. A couple of weeks later, kid is back - card is maxed out.... same as before, he's been spending all over town. So you raise the limit - let's say $1,000 - and tell him 'gas only'. Couple of weeks later, same situation.... he's back, card is maxed and he's full of excuses and remorse and offers to get a paperround to pay it off.

At what point do you realize that a good parent teaches fiscal responsibility? Is it now or when you're remortgaging your house to pay off his debt?

So, no it's not a good thing.... but it may be the right and sensible thing.

And a balanced-budget amendment would be an unmitigated disaster, it’s a cynical political contrivance by the right in an effort to forever do away with hated social programs and entitlements, to the detriment of the working middle class, elderly, and disabled.

Subjective political dogma – left or right – should be kept out of the Constitution.

So a constitutional amendment that will keep the current and future clowns in Washington from spending us into oblivion as their predecessors have done over decades is subjective political dogma? No wonder we're in the mess we are with minds like yours.

No one is saying it is a good thing.
But to borrow from peter to pay paul is worse.

Besides.....I do not see how we will default on our debt. I believe that rhetoric is nothing more than a fear tactic.

No candidate....on the right OR the left wants to go into the campaign season without being able to say "if I am elected, I will make sure "such and such" group of people gets "such and such".

But the truth is...if we do not raise the debt ceiling, it will be all about cutbacks (as it should be).....and not about entitlements.

A scary thing for candidates campaigning.....and lets be real here....scarier for Obama than anyone on the right.

Last edited:

Here's the way an economist friend of mine put it.... (and he's a liberal, in case that matters)....

If you have a teenager, who's just got his/her first car, and you - being a nice supportive parent - say 'here's a credit card for gas money. The limit it $300'. A week later, your kid comes back, complaining that the card is maxed out. You discover that he/she bought some clothes, paid for dinner when out with their friends. So, you raise the limit to $600 and say 'this is just for gas - do not spend it on anything else'. A couple of weeks later, kid is back - card is maxed out.... same as before, he's been spending all over town. So you raise the limit - let's say $1,000 - and tell him 'gas only'. Couple of weeks later, same situation.... he's back, card is maxed and he's full of excuses and remorse and offers to get a paperround to pay it off.

At what point do you realize that a good parent teaches fiscal responsibility? Is it now or when you're remortgaging your house to pay off his debt?

Why did you identify the fiscally immature teenager as a male?
Are you biased toward women?
:eusa_angel:

Maybe you should take notice that we can not afford the social programs and entitlements...especially if we continue to pander to the special interest groups.

Sure...it would be nice if we could....but we can't. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?

Wow! How does he not see the damage done to our economy by bank ATM's and airport kiosks? Where does he pull off the band aid while eating his peas?

Just Wow!

An excerpt from an e-mail from The Junior Senator from Florida:

The looming debt crisis threatens the financial security of our nation and jeopardizes our chances of rebounding from the financial events of 2008. We are approaching a decisive vote in which Washington will either raise our debt ceiling, effectively indebting our nation further, or be forced to work within our allotted budget. I will not vote to raise the debt limit, unless it is the last time we ever vote to raise it and it is accompanied by a plan for fundamental tax reform, an overhaul of our regulatory structure, a cut to discretionary spending, a balanced-budget amendment, and reforms to save Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.​

Emphasis added by me...

Fair Taxes, Appropriate Regulation, A Budget Balanced by Law

:clap2: A politician who 'gets it'!

Ass-U-Me-ing Senator Rubio produces a voting record that doesn't relegate the above to typical political bullshit, he'll never not get my vote.

:rock: Rubio Rocks!!

Sounds good, but the devil is in the details

How long have we argued what a fair tax strategy is? If the definition of fair is that more burden is shifted to working Americans, then we will be arguing a long time

Why just cut discretionary spending? If we are going to fundamentally change our debt structure, we need to look at ALL Spending and the role of America at home and around the world

What CUTS are on the table?

What does the GOP want cut and what is the DNC willing to cut?

Anybody have a list with real numbers behind it?

I know,, that would put the stymie in dims spending spree wouldn't it. I'm sure the tit sucking dim would see it as an unmitigated disaster.

Paperround? Is that a PaperRoute?

This is what happened to our Social Security money.... Excellent example... now it's time to pay us back instead of cutting it because they don't want to pay.

Maybe you should take notice that we can not afford the social programs and entitlements...especially if we continue to pander to the special interest groups.

Sure...it would be nice if we could....but we can't. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?

We cannot afford our military. That is the only problem here of any magnitude.

We cannot afford our military. That is the only problem here of any magnitude.

So what do you suggest? Obama is the CiC. I will support any action by him in regard to the miliotary that does not compromise our national security and does not further endanger the safety of our troops.

Forum List

Back