Senate Saves Airports: Fuck Head Start, Meals On Wheels, and Cancer Patients

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON -- In a quick and unanticipated session on Thursday night, the U.S. Senate approved a resolution that would allow the Federal Aviation Administration budget flexibility to stop furloughing air traffic controllers.

Lawmakers have moved to reduce the impact of other sequestration cuts. Meat inspectors were granted a reprieve from furloughs, and tuition assistance for military members was restored. But other consequences of the mandatory budget cuts have taken place with little political backlash. Head Start has fired teachers and closed classrooms, Meals on Wheels has scaled back its services. Private cancer clinics have denied treatment for Medicare patients.

More: FAA Furloughs: Senate Reaches Deal To Avoid Air Traffic Delays - By Sam Stein

Does it seem fair to you?

WASHINGTON -- In a quick and unanticipated session on Thursday night, the U.S. Senate approved a resolution that would allow the Federal Aviation Administration budget flexibility to stop furloughing air traffic controllers.

Lawmakers have moved to reduce the impact of other sequestration cuts. Meat inspectors were granted a reprieve from furloughs, and tuition assistance for military members was restored. But other consequences of the mandatory budget cuts have taken place with little political backlash. Head Start has fired teachers and closed classrooms, Meals on Wheels has scaled back its services. Private cancer clinics have denied treatment for Medicare patients.

More: FAA Furloughs: Senate Reaches Deal To Avoid Air Traffic Delays - By Sam Stein

I can't say I have much respect for "meals on wheels." We got that for my mother in law for awhile but the food was terrible and it was expensive. We had to pay for that stuff and we had to heat it up when it came. I ended up making her meals myself. Not so bad, just make a little extra at dinner time and freeze it, then she can heat up real home cooked meals that actually tasted good.

I don't understand why we had to pay for a federally funded program or why the food it provided was so bad. The community suppers at the churches are free, hot and they taste better. Plus, I don't think they are paid for by taxpayer money.

I don't know that private clinics have to provide cancer treatment to anybody. I had to go to the local hospital for my cancer treatments and I have insurance.

The reports I've read on Head Start state that by the time the kids are in junior high, all the advantages they had from the Head Start program has vanished.

I guess I'm saying, maybe I don't like were the tax dollars are going. I'd like to see real progress from my tax dollars. I was real disappointed in the meals on wheels program. It's probably a lot of money spent higher up and very little seems to trickle down to the meals. There must be a better way.

What pisses me off is that the FAA didn't have to lay off Tower Jocks.

They did it to cause problems.

I'd rather have air travel than social programs, but I'm just a mean conservative....but hey Liberals love those high carbon emission jets too...cant live without em.....They're going to kill us all, but liberals still use em.....seems weird to me too

Cancer research, research of serious diseases and Asteroid detection should be under defense. Do you agree?

Defense of the citizens of the United states from threats.

yeah, well I worked on cancer research, and it shouldnt be defense....but NIH should still get funding as long as they arent stupid with their grants.....and usually they do a good job.....I love science and R&D, and the defense department does by far the most....but liberals want to cut it, since we dont need all those troops (the problem is it will kill alot of our R&D as well....since we do most of that without wars raging)

Fair? :lol:

When has "Fair" been the goal of this or any other administration?

But it does NOT surprise me that they're going to make an exception for commercial air travel.

After all the people who count in this nation do a lot of flying and lord knows we wouldn't want to inconvenience that CLASS, eh?

It took the FDA 5 years to approve imported meats from Tuscany. What a joke and waste of time, effort and money

Forum List

Back