Senate Passes Bill to Let FDA Regulate Tobacco

No this may seem somewhat harsh, but this smoking issue has always been a personal responsibility issue to me and efforts to regulate smoking are nothing more than efforts to regulate personal responsibility. While second hand smoke causes everything from lung cancer to pimples these days, still the smoker is the person ultimatly responsible for taking that drag on the cancer stick. If smoking was such a burden on society and Congress really had any interests on the healh of the American people smoking would be banned period. So it comes down to a revenue source for funding programs for various different projects within congress. Again , what congress is doing here is nothing more thn taxing personal reponsibility. The bottom line here is that is up to the person taking that cigarette and smoking it to stop or the person next to them to move out of the way one of the two. Until such time as people stop looking to Govt. to solve every issue in their daily lives Govt. will use anything they can as a revenue source all in the guise of being bad for you.

People in general and this presidential administration do not believe in personal responsibility.

Skull I think thats fairly obvioius that "personal responsibility" is not high up on the list of the current Administration. In fact if it were, we most likely would not be talking about 80% of the things that are comming at us from Congress and the Administration. So I have to believe your right.

Skull I think thats fairly obvioius that "personal responsibility" is not high up on the list of the current Administration. In fact if it were, we most likely would not be talking about 80% of the things that are comming at us from Congress and the Administration. So I have to believe your right.

The abdication of personal responsibility is, at least in my opinion, the most dangerous trend we as a country are following.

Blame shifting and the consequent legislation are being raised to a high art, indeed almost a phenomenon of religious proportions.

It's not my fault if I smoked 3 packs a day and got cancer, it's the tobacco companies' collective fault.

It's not my fault that I am upside down on my mortgage even though I refinanced 6 times in 2 years and squandered my home's equity on boats, vacations and countless other things I didn't have the money to buy, it's the banks and their predatory lending

It's not my fault that I am 200 lbs overweight because I eat 7000 calories a day, it's the fast food industry's fault.

And not only is it not my fault but I will vilify those companies deemed at fault as evil and I will push for laws that curb other peoples' liberties so that those evil companies can't make them, die sooner, be broke or get fat.

How far we have fallen.

The abdication of personal responsibility is, at least in my opinion, the most dangerous trend we as a country are following.

Blame shifting and the consequent legislation are being raised to a high art, indeed almost a phenomenon of religious proportions.

It's not my fault if I smoked 3 packs a day and got cancer, it's the tobacco companies' collective fault.

You just don't care about people's health or the environment !!

It's not my fault that I am upside down on my mortgage even though I refinanced 6 times in 2 years and squandered my home's equity on boats, vacations and countless other things I didn't have the money to buy, it's the banks and their predatory lending

You're a racist bigot and an advocate for the big banks !!

It's not my fault that I am 200 lbs overweight because I eat 7000 calories a day, it's the fast food industry's fault.

You have no compassion for people and probably own a bunch of stock in McDonalds !!

And not only is it not my fault but I will vilify those companies deemed at fault as evil and I will push for laws that curb other peoples' liberties so that those evil companies can't make them, die sooner, be broke or get fat.

How far we have fallen.

You're a house slave that only wants to look out for the rich white guys !!

I saved lefties some time and responded for them .....

Skull, you know when you point out to people that one of the reasons that companies do not wish to do business in this nation is that it's become an unfriendly environment to do business inthey are frankly surprised. My response to that has always been, when you constantly demonize companies and give off this mentality of what can you do for me or they "owe me". It's frankly no surprise that these companies leave this country to more friendly environments to survive. All of this at least in my mind points to this "personal responsibility" issue and results in this expectation of being owed simply for sucking in oxygen. It doesn't bode well for the future of this nation when we have a segement of society that expects, a job, healthcare, money, etc. and literally does nothing in the way of wanting to create environments to actually earn it.

You just don't care about people's health or the environment !!

You're a racist bigot and an advocate for the big banks !!

You have no compassion for people and probably own a bunch of stock in McDonalds !!

How far we have fallen.

You're a house slave that only wants to look out for the rich white guys !!

I saved lefties some time and responded for them .....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be called worse by the moonbats

As an aside to the tobacco regulation, I wonder if alcohol is next on the government's list to control.

Will the FDA be given power to control the content and quantity of alcoholic beverages? After all alcohol is the most used drug in this country.

Why not coffee after all caffeine is an addictive drug?

And one for the conspiracy nuts:

The government wants the FDA to control (lessen) the amount of nicotine in cigarettes so that people will smoke more to get their fix thereby increasing revenue from the new tobacco taxes.

Last edited:
As an aside to the tobacco regulation, I wonder if alcohol is next on the government's list to control.

Will the FDA be given power to control the content and quantity of alcoholic beverages? After all alcohol is the most used drug in this country.

Dang don't give them any ideas. Next it will be coffee and tea.

Failure of prohibition...

Prohibition in the 1920s
The 18th Amendment Made Alcohol Illegal

...............With sympathetic politicians in place, the Eighteenth Amendment easily passed on December 18, 1917 and was ratified two years later.

At the time, no one seemed to comprehend that the law would be difficult to enforce. And certainly no one understood how Prohibition would lead to so much organized crime.

The Amendment read, in part, “After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited...................

Anti smoking campaign....Patrick Reynolds

Hrant Vartanian, Armeniana tobacco magnate joins in the anti tobacco campaign...

Truth: An Anti-smoking Campaign - Adpunch
Here's the link to all the anti-smoking lies.

Thats 17% of the worlds population....over a century not per year.

Slight, slight difference there.

Oh and my point was to try to get YOU to say how many people YOU thought it killed. But instead you just copped out, so I changed tacts. I was nice before...but lets destroy the bullshit you posted previously.

Okay, here's the real math, 20% of 6 billion (estimated population level) is 1.2 billion, 600 million people die per year from tobacco only, then you have to add in the 10% that die from various natural causes each year, that's another 600 million. Plus the roughly 5% that die from accidental death, that's another 300 million. The current number in the population that smokes is roughly 20% ... if 85% of the smokers died each year, there would be none of us left, not to mention that you are talking about 2 billion people dying each year total ... add up how long this would have lasted ... there is no way, adding in the chances of failed births because of cigarettes, that our population would have survived more than 5 years ... it's impossible. Not to mention that the smoking population may last 2 years at that rate. A real number, .17% would be believable. But even then, lung cancer and respiratory illnesses are caused by chemicals that are extremely common now, thanks to cars, factories, and other such pollutants, so there is no way to know which such deaths were from smoking and which were from air pollution. Then, now assuming you actually read all the posts you respond to, factor in the fact that there is no medical or scientific proof that simply being near a smoker while they are smoking will increase your risk for anything, it's all purely circumstantial evidence for second hand smoke. Now remember, the first anti-smoking ads contained the little fact that car exhaust contains the same cancer causing chemicals, but also remember that cars put out tons of this a year, even the most addicted chain smoker might put out one ton in a year, far less than a single care. Now, if you are still with me, remember that factories put out millions of tons of this same shit that supposedly causes lung cancer, that's a lot, not nearly as much as the total for automobiles, but it's a lot. The only way to avoid these chemicals is to remain in a completely filtered environment your entire life.

Thats correct. However you can tell how many people die from smoking because both smokers and non-smokers breathe the polluted air equally. Its called a control group, dearie.

Bright enough to know the difference between a year and a century, which apparently neither you and KK can do.
where did i say anything about a time frame, asshole?

you lack reading comprehension

You acted as if her link backed up her claims. It didn't. Dumbass.
no, i just said you are not very bright, and that still stands regardless of what her link said

and as to being a dumbass, thats very ironic for a dumbfuck like you to say
just more proof of you not being very bright

Last edited:

And one for the conspiracy nuts:

The government wants the FDA to control (lessen) the amount of nicotine in cigarettes so that people will smoke more to get their fix thereby increasing revenue from the new tobacco taxes.

The alcohol industry is like the oil companies (at least like what the moonbats claim the oil companies are) and they have louder and more aggressive lobbyists in the capitol. Tobacco is an easy target because the companies actually admitted that their product is addictive and possibly dangerous (I know, honesty from a major industry, who'd have guessed) so their lobbyists went soft and rolled over. It's simple, lie about things and you get rewarded, tell the truth *gasp* and get punished.

where did i say anything about a time frame, asshole?

you lack reading comprehension

no, i just said you are not very bright, and that still stands regardless of what her link said

So what exactly that I said makes me not very bright? Feel free to quote me.

Don't have enough space in a thread for that many quotes. :eusa_whistle:

Funny you skipped the part where I showed that it was 17% over a century instead of one year. Why don't you address that, hmmm?

Funny you skipped the part where I showed that it was 17% over a century instead of one year. Why don't you address that, hmmm?

You also failed to see that the anti-smoking ad is misleading, which is the same as lying, yes, you are dense. When you see the one aired on TV, which doesn't say all that, you will still defend forcing people to live your way and lying about it.

You also failed to see that the anti-smoking ad is misleading, which is the same as lying, yes, you are dense. When you see the one aired on TV, which doesn't say all that, you will still defend forcing people to live your way and lying about it.

Misleading is NOT the same as lying. And the only one here who lied is YOU with your whole bullshit 17% of people die a year claims. You seem to have some weird axe to grind with the anti-smoking people, and your doing it by lying about their claims.

sorry, why would anyone want to repost every post you have made

Forum List

Back