Selma

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Just watching this on the BBC. Ive seen it before but I think it needs a few views to "get" it.

I found it quite depressing. We see the same hate filled attitudes today, police violence,voter suppression. Are things any better ?

I think Selma is better

They are a national symbol of the Civil Rights movement and John Lewis, who led the march and got his head smashed in is one of our most respected Congressmen

Just watching this on the BBC. Ive seen it before but I think it needs a few views to "get" it.

I found it quite depressing. We see the same hate filled attitudes today, police violence,voter suppression. Are things any better ?

Nope. All the police there are black now and they still knock heads.

My father was in the 2nd Selma March. It was horrific.

Selma is much better now. But there are still racists around. Both black and white.

You watched a show on BBC, you are now an expert on American culture. I saw part of Dawnton Abby once on PBS. Hooray, I am now a expert on English culture. Shallow way of talking in facts, isn't it? Selma is as far from most Americans as ...hmm, London to a Welshman.

Last edited:
In Trafalgar Square, no less?

article-2337755-1A0C3ADF000005DC-272_1024x615_large.jpg

Race-Protest-1960s-2.jpg

police-with-truncheons-and-bin-lids-on-the-streets-of-notting-hill-136400075867303901-150829205937.jpg

St. Pauls , Chapeltown, Moss Side, Toxteth, Handsworth, Dewsbury, Oldham

Birmingham, Bradford, Brixton, Broadwater Farm, Chapeltown, Harehills, Notting Hill

"Remove the beam from your own eye ..."

You watched a show on BBC, you are now an expert on American culture. I saw part of Dawnton Abby once on PBS. Hooray, I am now a expert on English culture. Shallow way of talking in facts, isn't it? Selma is as far from most Americans as ...hmm, London to a Welshman.
Selma is a good movie to see where we came from

Mississippi Burning anyone?

I think Selma is better

They are a national symbol of the Civil Rights movement and John Lewis, who led the march and got his head smashed in is one of our most respected Congressmen
he is?....

John Lewis is an American Patriot who risked his life to fight for Liberty and Justice
ok.....so show me a poll or something backing up what you said.....the guy is a die hard liberal,so outside of a poll with people like you and dean participating,show me one with regular people participating saying that...

I think Selma is better

he is?....

John Lewis is an American Patriot who risked his life to fight for Liberty and Justice
ok.....so show me a poll or something backing up what you said.....the guy is a die hard liberal,so outside of a poll with people like you and dean participating,show me one with regular people participating saying that...
No poll necessary

John Lewis is an American Patriot the equivalent of our founding fathers
He risked his life at lunch counters, Freedom Rides and leading the march at Selma. For that, he was beaten, knocked unconscious and jailed

All in a fight for Liberty and Justice

I think Selma is better

he is?....

No poll necessary

He risked his life at lunch counters, Freedom Rides and leading the march at Selma. For that, he was beaten, knocked unconscious and jailed

a congress person gets respected when they have done some congressional things,like pass good bills....now if you would have said he is a respected person for his civil rights work 40 years ago i would not have asked you what i asked......

I think Selma is better

he is?....

No poll necessary

a congress person gets respected when they have done some congressional things,like pass good bills....now if you would have said he is a respected person for his civil rights work 40 years ago i would not have asked you what i asked......
John Lewis has spent his life fighting for the rights of others, risking all for a cause...

He did it as a Civil Rights icon and as a Congressman

Here Is A List Of John Lewis' Accomplishments Over 50 Years That Lord Cheeto Needs To See

Since then he has been re-elected repeatedly by overwhelming margins, on one occasion running unopposed. Today, he represents Georgia’s Fifth Congressional District, encompassing the entire city of Atlanta and parts of four surrounding counties. Congressman Lewis sits on the House Budget Committee and House Ways and Means Committee, where he serves on the Subcommittee on Health. He serves as Senior Chief Deputy Democratic Whip, is a member of the Democratic Steering Committee, the Congressional Black Caucus and the Congressional Committee to Support Writers and Journalists. Apart from his service in Congress, he is Co-Chair of the Faith and Politics Institute.

Last edited:
he is?....

No poll necessary

John Lewis has spent his life fighting for the rights of others, risking all for a cause...

Here Is A List Of John Lewis' Accomplishments Over 50 Years That Lord Cheeto Needs To See

Since then he has been re-elected repeatedly by overwhelming margins, on one occasion running unopposed. Today, he represents Georgia’s Fifth Congressional District, encompassing the entire city of Atlanta and parts of four surrounding counties. Congressman Lewis sits on the House Budget Committee and House Ways and Means Committee, where he serves on the Subcommittee on Health. He serves as Senior Chief Deputy Democratic Whip, is a member of the Democratic Steering Committee, the Congressional Black Caucus and the Congressional Committee to Support Writers and Journalists. Apart from his service in Congress, he is Co-Chair of the Faith and Politics Institute.
yea you said that already......what bills has he passed?...

I find it suprising that right wingers cant just come out and condemn the things that were going on in those days. Watching the film of that era it looks so ugly. Those people were evil.

In Trafalgar Square, no less?

article-2337755-1A0C3ADF000005DC-272_1024x615_large.jpg

Race-Protest-1960s-2.jpg

police-with-truncheons-and-bin-lids-on-the-streets-of-notting-hill-136400075867303901-150829205937.jpg

St. Pauls , Chapeltown, Moss Side, Toxteth, Handsworth, Dewsbury, Oldham

Birmingham, Bradford, Brixton, Broadwater Farm, Chapeltown, Harehills, Notting Hill

"Remove the beam from your own eye ..."
The Uk has had,and still has, issues with race. But I think its laughable to compare the UK to the apartheid states of the US. American GIs were treated better in the UK than they were in the US . Mainly because the UK is more developed.

No poll necessary

yea you said that already......what bills has he passed?...

How many bills have been passed by Congress in the last 12 years ?

Forum List

Back