Securing my laptop privacy.

Fed Starving

Mar 26, 2020
USA
I suspect a back door into my computer through wifi connections.

So, I keep my computer in airplane mode all the time and only unlock the airplane mode when I am going to use the wifi. That doesn't seem to prevent remote accessing my computer. Now, I go to Device Manager and manually disable all network drivers. Does anyone have an idea for heightened protection against laptop spying? Does anyone know what method that hackers use to access your computer even when you think your wifi is off? Why isn't there a popular webpage dedicated to these problems?

So, I keep my computer in airplane mode all the time and only unlock the airplane mode when I am going to use the wifi. That doesn't seem to prevent remote accessing my computer. Now, I go to Device Manager and manually disable all network drivers. Does anyone have an idea for heightened protection against laptop spying? Does anyone know what method that hackers use to access your computer even when you think your wifi is off? Why isn't there a popular webpage dedicated to these problems?
Paranoia

The only way you can totally secure it is to either turn off your home router or turn off your laptop.

I want a straight answer, don't blow this serious topic off with blowy comments, I don't want would-be serious responders getting turmed off and decideing to pass this up because they see your comic talk.

I truly need to know how they hack a laptop in airplane mode and render all security useless.

No hacker can access your computer if you are not connected to a network. There are 3 ways in. Wifi, bluetooth, and old fashion ethernet.

The only way you can totally secure it is to either turn off your home router or turn off your laptop.

Disabling network drivers works for offline use. I also disabled bluetooth drivers. But, while using the internet, even with my VPN in place, there still appears to be hacker invasion.

Disabling network drivers works for offline use. I also disabled bluetooth drivers. But, while using the internet, even with my VPN in place, there still appears to be hacker invasion.
What do you mean by "appears to be a hacker invasion"? If youre using the internet youre on a network. All a VPN does is encrypt the traffic you send and receive. If you downloaded a virus a VPN doesnt help with that.

I want a straight answer, don't blow this serious topic off with blowy comments, I don't want would-be serious responders getting turmed off and decideing to pass this up because they see your comic talk.

I truly need to know how they hack a laptop in airplane mode and render all security useless.
It was a joke, lighten up Francis.
If you're serious about privacy your first step is to activate your firewall then get a reputable VPN (Virtual Private Network). Yes there are free VPNs but in most cases you'll have to deal ads and or limited bandwidth. Paid VPNs tend to be much better at protecting your privacy but some do save your searches and they're not necessarily that expensive. He's a list of the best ones, I personally use NordVPN.

The Best VPN Services for 2020

Oh and I assume you're using Windows, Microsoft is "spying" on you unless you turn off telemetry AND completely disable Cortana. That can be done via Winaero Tweaker.

To answer this specifically concerning your last sentence is the only way that is possible is what Asclepias said, you have virus, a sleeper, a trojan on your computer. Maybe if you described the "symptoms" that are making your suspicious some of us might be able to help.

Try a VPN. Opera has one built in and Chrome has several add-ons.

It was a joke, lighten up Francis.
If you're serious about privacy your first step is to activate your firewall then get a reputable VPN (Virtual Private Network). Yes there are free VPNs but in most cases you'll have to deal ads and or limited bandwidth. Paid VPNs tend to be much better at protecting your privacy but some do save your searches and they're not necessarily that expensive. He's a list of the best ones, I personally use NordVPN.

The Best VPN Services for 2020

Yes, I will save this.

I was searching "running services" to see if there was anything sketchy and discovered "WLAN AutoConfig" described as:

The WLANSVC service provides the logic required to configure, discover, connect to, and disconnect from a wireless local area network (WLAN) as defined by IEEE 802.11 standards. It also contains the logic to turn your computer into a software access point so that other devices or computers can connect to your computer wirelessly using a WLAN adapter that can support this. Stopping or disabling the WLANSVC service will make all WLAN adapters on your computer inaccessible from the Windows networking UI. It is strongly recommended that you have the WLANSVC service running if your computer has a WLAN adapter.

So, this WLAN AutoConfig is showing as connected and running although I set my computer on Airplane Mode and then disabled the Network Adapter drivers. I was being fooled all along because my computer was still connected to the internet in the background. Now I created a shortcut on my desktop that takes me right to "view local services" so I can manually connect and disconnect the internet. You should check it out.

For example, if I disconnect the WLAN AutoConfig at this "Services" window then I am unable to leave Airplane Mode because it is so shut down its stuck in place.

Microsoft should make a full disconnect easy to find so that all users can kill the signal in a second.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back