SEC & Big 12 create a "Southern Rose Bowl"

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
The Big 10 and the Pac 12 have had their Rose Bowl tie-in during the BCS era.

The SEC & Big 12 announced the creation of a new bowl game tying the leaders of those two conferences (or highly ranked alternate).

If neither of the conference winners is in the 4 team BCS playoff, they will meet at the new bowl. (not a likely scenario anytime soon)

If either conference champion is involved in the 4 game playoff, the next highest team would play in the bowl.

If the ACC and the Big East conferences want to remain relevant (if the Big East is relevant), they need to get off their collective asses and lobby for an 8 team playoff. Otherwise, it will the 4 power conferences deciding and the rest watching.

I always wondered how the 11th team in the "Big 10" feels about being left out, and which team is considered to be the 11th team? Penn State, since they are the newest member?

I always wondered how the 11th team in the "Big 10" feels about being left out, and which team is considered to be the 11th team? Penn State, since they are the newest member?

I'm guessing Penn State has its hands full with the scandals and isn't worried.

The Big 10 and the Pac 12 have had their Rose Bowl tie-in during the BCS era.

The SEC & Big 12 announced the creation of a new bowl game tying the leaders of those two conferences (or highly ranked alternate).

If neither of the conference winners is in the 4 team BCS playoff, they will meet at the new bowl. (not a likely scenario anytime soon)

If either conference champion is involved in the 4 game playoff, the next highest team would play in the bowl.

If the ACC and the Big East conferences want to remain relevant (if the Big East is relevant), they need to get off their collective asses and lobby for an 8 team playoff. Otherwise, it will the 4 power conferences deciding and the rest watching.

I would add that Notre Dame better join a relevant conference if they want to play for a championship. The days of the independent schools are numbered, especially in a 4 team playoff.

I would add that Notre Dame better join a relevant conference if they want to play for a championship. The days of the independent schools are numbered, especially in a 4 team playoff.

It doesn't matter. The B1G kisses Notre Dame's ass every chance it gets. ND need not join, since all the good B1G teams will bend over for ND and play them anywhere, any time, on any field.

In the meantime, ND doesn't have to waste their time with the half the B1G that sucks donkey balls year-in, year-out (Indiana, Illinois, NW,Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa) and they can focus on playing the good teams, plus everyone in the PAC will kiss their ass on demand too.

I hate the Irish. A big bunch of overrated babies, if you ask me.

The ACC will remain relevant. The Big East is not, was not, and will not be relevant.

THere is this fantasy in college football-land that the superior television audience in the NorthEast will tune in every Saturday to watch college football. This will not happen. Nobody here cares about college football.

Here in New York City I'm closer to the stadium in Piscataway then I was to the stadium in Lincoln when I lived in Omaha.

Nobody, nobody, nobody cares about Rutgers football. Nobody. They played a home-town bowl game last year. Nobody showed up.

Nobody cares about UConn. Nobody. College football simply isn't big in the Big East and therefore they were doomed to oblivion from the start.

Let's face facts, this news renders any other planned college football playoff system irrelevant and unnecessary.

The ACC champ picks up whoever they can find to play in a bowl game.

Everybody's going to want to see the winner of the Rose play the winner of the SEC/Big12 for the championship.

It doesn't matter. The B1G kisses Notre Dame's ass every chance it gets. ND need not join, since all the good B1G teams will bend over for ND and play them anywhere, any time, on any field.

In the meantime, ND doesn't have to waste their time with the half the B1G that sucks donkey balls year-in, year-out (Indiana, Illinois, NW,Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa) and they can focus on playing the good teams, plus everyone in the PAC will kiss their ass on demand too.

I hate the Irish. A big bunch of overrated babies, if you ask me.

Notre Dame hasn't been relevant since the late 80s. With all the alignments being based on conferences, ND could eaily find themselves outside of the playoff system. That is, if they ever field a team worthy of the playoffs again.

Notre Dame hasn't been relevant since the late 80s. With all the alignments being based on conferences, ND could eaily find themselves outside of the playoff system. That is, if they ever field a team worthy of the playoffs again.

Certainly any college football fan would have to admit that Notre Dame was "relevant" well into the 90's.

Since then, though, I have to admit, they haven't really appeared to be title contenders at any point during the season.

Does that make them "irrelevant"? Well, certainly they're ranked in the top 25 often enough, either during the season or at season's end. They certainly go to bowl games and recruit top prospects. They haven't failed to sell out a game in quite some time and they seem to be on television often enough around here.

It would be great, I myself espoused this basic idea on this very board, of having a Rose Bowl approach to setting up a 3 or 4 team playoff - but it's problematic.

Taking the inaugural Pac-12 Championship game, for example, we can see that a team that probably wasn't the best in the Pac-12 ended up playing a team that really wasn't very good at all for the Pac-12 Championship. If UCLA had won and had gone to the Rose Bowl, which would essentially be the first round of a college playoff game, it would have seemed an miscarriage of college football justice.

For whatever reason we have convinced ourselves that the college football #1 should go to the team that deserves it the most. We have no such misconception about pro football and we all accept that the New York Giants are the world champions despite the fact that they did nothing all season to earn that distinction.

This is the basic problem with a college football playoff system.

The Rose Bowl and the Big 12/SEC bowl winners will not meet to play for a national title as long as the ACC has Miami, Clemson, Tech and FSU and as long as Notre Dame is independent.

Certainly any college football fan would have to admit that Notre Dame was "relevant" well into the 90's.

Since then, though, I have to admit, they haven't really appeared to be title contenders at any point during the season.

Does that make them "irrelevant"? Well, certainly they're ranked in the top 25 often enough, either during the season or at season's end. They certainly go to bowl games and recruit top prospects. They haven't failed to sell out a game in quite some time and they seem to be on television often enough around here.

It would be great, I myself espoused this basic idea on this very board, of having a Rose Bowl approach to setting up a 3 or 4 team playoff - but it's problematic.

Taking the inaugural Pac-12 Championship game, for example, we can see that a team that probably wasn't the best in the Pac-12 ended up playing a team that really wasn't very good at all for the Pac-12 Championship. If UCLA had won and had gone to the Rose Bowl, which would essentially be the first round of a college playoff game, it would have seemed an miscarriage of college football justice.

For whatever reason we have convinced ourselves that the college football #1 should go to the team that deserves it the most. We have no such misconception about pro football and we all accept that the New York Giants are the world champions despite the fact that they did nothing all season to earn that distinction.

The Rose Bowl and the Big 12/SEC bowl winners will not meet to play for a national title as long as the ACC has Miami, Clemson, Tech and FSU and as long as Notre Dame is independent.

I wouldn't bet on that. The last time a team competed in the BCS Championship that was not from either the SEC, Big 10 or Big 12 was when Miami lost the game in 2002.

Just the name "Southern Rose Bowl" is disgusting.

There should be no game that is called a "bowl."

Blow up the bowl system and have an 8 team playoff system.

Yeah the 9th team that gets left out will complain...........

Just the name "Southern Rose Bowl" is disgusting.

There should be no game that is called a "bowl."

Blow up the bowl system and have an 8 team playoff system.

Yeah the 9th team that gets left out will complain...........

It is not actually called the Southern Rose Bowl.

Bowl games may disappear one day. But not for a while.

Bowls and the BCS are about as corrupt a system as any in sports. It's time for a playoff held at schools stadiums. This bowls are a vacation and reward for players doesn't fly anymore. The sport has gotten too popular and makes too much money for that crap. They can be rewarded after a playoff.

Bowls and the BCS are about as corrupt a system as any in sports. It's time for a playoff held at schools stadiums. This bowls are a vacation and reward for players doesn't fly anymore. The sport has gotten too popular and makes too much money for that crap. They can be rewarded after a playoff.

And which schools have playoffs at their stadiums? It can't be those in the playoffs.

And which schools have playoffs at their stadiums? It can't be those in the playoffs.

What? Yeah it'd be all of the schools in the playoffs. The highest ranked or seeded hosting the lower seed. I don't care what school would have to be held at it would work just fine.

There beter not ber another BCS bowl game in the south,they already have 3 out of the 4 in the south.

The BCS Bowls are in CA, AZ, LA, and FL. If you can convince them to find better locations, feel free to do it. But bear in mind, unless its a dome you risk weather being an issue. Its one thing to have rain mess with it. But unless it rains the day of the game, it is not an issue. A heavy snowstorm could kill a bowl.

I am all for using campus stadiums. But the problem there is that the teams that are not allowed to host a game would whine.

What? Yeah it'd be all of the schools in the playoffs. The highest ranked or seeded hosting the lower seed. I don't care what school would have to be held at it would work just fine.

No, it wouldn't work just fine. Look at the BCS final poll and then look at those teams stadiums. For example, Boise State's stadium hold a grand total of 37,000 people. You want to limit a playoff game to a total of 37,000 people? Half the schools in the final top 10 don't have stadiums that can hold more than 60,000 people. And there is the question of whether the cities can handle the influx of people. I am sure they would love the dollars, but can they provide enough lodging and restaurant space.

I'm all for campus stadiums being used as the venues. But they have to be able to seat 75,000 people.

I wouldn't bet on that. The last time a team competed in the BCS Championship that was not from either the SEC, Big 10 or Big 12 was when Miami lost the game in 2002.
Are you forgetting these guys?

Forum List

Back