SEC & Big 12 create a "Southern Rose Bowl"

I don't think Leweman was saying Alabama was the greatest football team. I think he was talking about the passion we Tiders have for our team. You'd be hard pressed to find that kind of loyalty and passion anywhere else. There may be some that equal it, but I don't know of any that exceed it.

If you want to watch NFL football, knock yourself out. I prefer the rich traditions and pure love of the game that is college football.

Also, do you know what Vince Lombardi's response was when, after winning the 1967 Super Bowl, he was asked what it felt like to be the greatest football team in the world?

Don't recall what Vince said.

He said, "I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet." .

He should have said Notre Dame.

Oklahoma Sooner after ND beat them 38-0 in Norman in 1966: "I felt for sure like we were playing against the Green Bay Packers."

Last edited:
He should have said Notre Dame.

You'd have to take that up with Vince Lombardi. He said what he said.

Vince didn't coach against Alabama.

The Sooner played against ND. 38-0 ("I thought for sure we were playing the Green Bay Packers.)

ND would have whupped that undersized lilly-white Bama team if they had played.

Of course you would know more about football than Vince, huh?

Its always easy to say a team would've won, when they didn't have to play. That "undersized" team gave up 37 points for the entire season. And beat Nebraska like a red-headed stepchild. Bama's record was 11-0. They won every single game that season. Pity Notre Dame can't say the same about their season.

But if it helps you sleep better to think that you are right and Vince Lombardi was wrong, feel free to dream on.

You'd have to take that up with Vince Lombardi. He said what he said.

The Sooner played against ND. 38-0 ("I thought for sure we were playing the Green Bay Packers.)

Its always easy to say a team would've won, when they didn't have to play. That "undersized" team gave up 37 points for the entire season. And beat Nebraska like a red-headed stepchild. Bama's record was 11-0. They won every single game that season. Pity Notre Dame can't say the same about their season.

But if it helps you sleep better to think that you are right and Vince Lombardi was wrong, feel free to dream on.

I'll go along with the voters in the 2 major polls - AP and UPI.

After ND dismantled Southern Cal 51-0.

ND was #1 by a large margin in both final polls.

And more than one writer has supposed that the resistance to integration by Alabama had a major impact in the polls.

The simple fact is that we will never know. Your claims to the contrary are simply fantasy.

And Vince Lombardi's quote stands.

And more than one writer has supposed that the resistance to integration by Alabama had a major impact in the polls.

The simple fact is that we will never know. Your claims to the contrary are simply fantasy.

When Lombardi made that tongue-in-cheek quote after the NFL-AFL Championship Game (Super Bowl 1) -that was just one week after Alabama had handily defeated
Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl. It was probably simply fresh in his mind.

ND ended their season a full month earlier as they were on a self-imposed bowl moratorium.

Last edited:

When Lombardi made that quote after the NFL-AFL Championship Game (Super Bowl 1) -that was just one week after Alabama had handily defeated

ND ended their season a full month earlier as they were on a self-imposed bowl moratorium.

If thats what you think. Maybe he just saw that undefeated Bama team as the best college team that year. He wouldn't have been the only one.

And this year they will be in the running too. It starts with beating Michigan.

When Lombardi made that quote after the NFL-AFL Championship Game (Super Bowl 1) -that was just one week after Alabama had handily defeated

If thats what you think. Maybe he just saw that undefeated Bama team as the best college team that year. He wouldn't have been the only one.

I've always lobbied on this forum that Ken Stabler belongs in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

One of the best ever IMO.

Yet he hasn't even been nominated.

And John Madden and Al Davis never lobbied for him.

Never could figure.

I've always lobbied on this forum that Ken Stabler belongs in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

Never could figure.

He wasn't popular with mgmt because he was always a partier. But he was a helluva QB.

Super nice guy too. I've tailgated with him quite a few times.

Never could figure.

He wasn't popular with mgmt because he was always a partier. But he was a helluva QB.

Super nice guy too. I've tailgated with him quite a few times.

He backed up ex-Domer Daryle Lamonica (The Mad Bomber) and George Blanda for a while.

What a trio that was.

Madden only had two rules as a coach.

1. Be on time.
2. Play your hardest.

He thought that if he laid down anymore rules, it would give his team just more rules to break.

Yep they got passion down there in Alabama absolutely. Bucks had 81 thousand this year for the spring game ... hold the record for a spring game set back in 2009 I think.

There about 27 states that have better football teams than Alabama.

Those would be NFL states. Some have 2 or more ie NY Calif Ohio Florida Texas Penn

I don't think Leweman was saying Alabama was the greatest football team. I think he was talking about the passion we Tiders have for our team. You'd be hard pressed to find that kind of loyalty and passion anywhere else. There may be some that equal it, but I don't know of any that exceed it.

You have to admire the Tide. They're one of the more popular college football teams in Alabama and I would say they were probably one of the 5 best teams in the country last year based on their win over LSU. I still doubt they could have handled the Cowboys and Stanford and Oregon probably would have taken them out too.

See - those teams could score points, unlike all the other inept offenses the Tide faced last year.

But Tide '11 was definitely better than my Huskers '11, so I'll give props where props are due. But speaking as a fan who travels with his team, I'll have to say that the kind of passion you're talking about isn't really that hard to find. They have it in Omaha/Lincoln. They have it in Blackburg/Roanoke. They have it in Pleasant Valley. They have it all over the state of Texas.

Look, Winterborn, congratulations on a fine year. Now get out more, Man. Hit the road, Jack. Your team doesn't need you hanging out in the parking lot in Tuscaloosa. They need you in Fayetteville and Baton Rouge. Show some real pride.

LSU scored some points on Oregon and pretty much everyone they played. Looked pretty God awful that first half against Georgia and then the defense started scoring the second half. Might have been a sign of things to come in that Championship game. They also managed to beat Bama at Bama, though it wasnt with offense. So they were good.

There about 27 states that have better football teams than Alabama.

Those would be NFL states. Some have 2 or more ie NY Calif Ohio Florida Texas Penn

You have to admire the Tide. They're one of the more popular college football teams in Alabama and I would say they were probably one of the 5 best teams in the country last year based on their win over LSU. I still doubt they could have handled the Cowboys and Stanford and Oregon probably would have taken them out too.

See - those teams could score points, unlike all the other inept offenses the Tide faced last year.

But Tide '11 was definitely better than my Huskers '11, so I'll give props where props are due. But speaking as a fan who travels with his team, I'll have to say that the kind of passion you're talking about isn't really that hard to find. They have it in Omaha/Lincoln. They have it in Blackburg/Roanoke. They have it in Pleasant Valley. They have it all over the state of Texas.

Look, Winterborn, congratulations on a fine year. Now get out more, Man. Hit the road, Jack. Your team doesn't need you hanging out in the parking lot in Tuscaloosa. They need you in Fayetteville and Baton Rouge. Show some real pride.

I have travelled with my Tide. The pride I was speaking about is not exclusively in Tuscaloosa. But the turnouts for the spring game are far and away more than most.

As for offenses that could score, LSU scored plenty of points against Oregon. As I recall they hung 40+ points on several teams that were ranked in the top 25 at the end of the year.

Now whether those teams could score against Bama would be a different matter.

I have travelled with my Tide. The pride I was speaking about is not exclusively in Tuscaloosa. But the turnouts for the spring game are far and away more than most.

They are similar to what my Huskers draw. We didn't have a spring game this year, but that's another thread. The point is that both Universities draw at or close to capacity crowds for their spring game.

I don't think that there's any point to bragging about Tide attendance now. It doesn't really mean anything. OSU drew more people to their scrimmage anyway, so nyah!

Check out PSU's 60K. Now that's a statement!

Congratulations on your NC. Only one team was bestowed that honor last year and it was yours. But don't think for 2 seconds that other teams don't have great fans. Cuz that's just stupid.

They are similar to what my Huskers draw. We didn't have a spring game this year, but that's another thread. The point is that both Universities draw at or close to capacity crowds for their spring game.

I don't think that there's any point to bragging about Tide attendance now. It doesn't really mean anything. OSU drew more people to their scrimmage anyway, so nyah!

Check out PSU's 60K. Now that's a statement!

Congratulations on your NC. Only one team was bestowed that honor last year and it was yours. But don't think for 2 seconds that other teams don't have great fans. Cuz that's just stupid.

I don't think I ever said other teams don't have dedicated fans.

I think I started this about attendance and passionate fans in response to someone's comment denigrating college ball. The fan bases of college teams is one of the great things about it.

If you feel slighted by my comments, consider the source. I am a rabid Crimson Tide fan.

If you feel slighted by my comments, consider the source. I am a rabid Crimson Tide fan.

When it comes to the spring scrimmage, this Husker fan feels slighted by the weather and Osborne's unwillingness to reschedule.

But that's another thread.

Bottom-line, alot of schools have great traditions and large and devoted fanbases. Some of those schools happen to be in the ACC. Enjoy your championship, but don't think for 2 seconds that you love your team more that the people of Virginia Tech love their's.

When it comes to the spring scrimmage, this Husker fan feels slighted by the weather and Osborne's unwillingness to reschedule.

But that's another thread.

Bottom-line, alot of schools have great traditions and large and devoted fanbases. Some of those schools happen to be in the ACC. Enjoy your championship, but don't think for 2 seconds that you love your team more that the people of Virginia Tech love their's.

I think I said I get it and apologized. Lighten up. I know VaTech fans are passionate. I've worked in VA around them and saw how upset they were when the Crimson Tide kicked their ass in Atlanta a few years ago.

If you go back you will see (as I said before) that I started this because someone was talking down about college football. Argue with him. I agree that our fans are passionate.

Forum List

Back