Seattle Democrats Cancel Columbus Day. Replace It With "indigenous People's Day"

Why ? It's a very legitimate agency, I have no reason to question their findings. If he doesn't want to believe them, let him debunk it then. It's not my job.
still dodging ....

Lol !
another dodge..

If you and your tag team partner don't want to accept the findings, oh well.
say
Why ? It's a very legitimate agency, I have no reason to question their findings. If he doesn't want to believe them, let him debunk it then. It's not my job.
still dodging ....

Lol !
another dodge..

:blahblah::blahblah:

Denio is not a river in Egypt. But, it is a junction in Nevada.

say

true, but denial is your maiden name..

And most American blacks have contributed far more than shoots speeders. Tis what it is.

Rap is no more a contribution than it is music.
Many would disagree. But feel free to listen to jazz or the blues instead.

I don't want to waste a lot of time going down this road but I will say that I spent much of my time in my early twenties bringing black music to Seattle. I owned a music production company(West Coast Productions) and managed, recorded and produced concerts. I have hundreds of friends in that arena.

That said I am well aware of the genisis of rap/hip hop and find it disgusting musically and socially. Bascically it is what you get when uneducated tone deaf drug dealers and gang bangers get enough money to flaunt it promoting the street/gang lifestyle.

It IS a black thug thing. It is ugly. It has become popular for all the wrong reasons. It has elevated the worst people and their ignorant ideas and wealth up on a pedistal built on the misery of the drug industry.

Glorifying the social abuses that paid for these monsters and morons and comparing what they do with music is insulting to me and anyone that can tell the difference.
Iggy Azalea and Macklemore are not black. And even if they were, just because a style of music originated from African American culture does not make it ugly.

So you are saying that Rap originated from African American culture?

Nonsense. Black Americans didn't invent crack cocaine.

It was the proceeds from drug sales in LA and Compton in the Crips and Bloods gangs that spawned the spread of that "industry" across the country and paid for the infusion of that style of recordings into the music and entertainment sector.

I know a lot about how freebase cocaine became popular in the entertainment industry and where it came from in a movie set in Mexico ..to Seattle and then on to South Florida..up the Esat Coast ..and back to Southern California.

I hate to admit it but I was somewhat personally responsible for how it became popular in South Florida.

It most certainly was not a Black thing at first. Freebasing was a white thing in the early days. It became a Black gang based drug later in "crack" form because it was simply easier to physically handle than cocaine powder and also very addictive. Crack can be cut with a number of cheap methods and used on the street and not being water soluable lent itself to street sales. The fact that one can hold a crack rock in one's hand and cannot hold the same amount of cocaine hydochloride in one's hand or mouth is mainly why it became so popular in gang controlled streets of some cities.

The sales of the crack brought huge profits into the gangs and some of that money paid for the recording of the first rap with a ready made audience of criminals promoting that lifestyle.

You cannot say that a tiny wealthy criminal element as a representative was or is responsible as "Black" for the birth of rap. It was simply a "hobby" of wealthy criminals with a lot of extra money to spend on recording and promotion. I certainly was not indigenous to any race.

say

So just out of curiosity, why would you deny research findings from a credible government agency as the CDC ? You realize this jeopardizes your own credibility, right ?

And most American blacks have contributed far more than shoots speeders. Tis what it is.

I don't want to waste a lot of time going down this road but I will say that I spent much of my time in my early twenties bringing black music to Seattle. I owned a music production company(West Coast Productions) and managed, recorded and produced concerts. I have hundreds of friends in that arena.

That said I am well aware of the genisis of rap/hip hop and find it disgusting musically and socially. Bascically it is what you get when uneducated tone deaf drug dealers and gang bangers get enough money to flaunt it promoting the street/gang lifestyle.

It IS a black thug thing. It is ugly. It has become popular for all the wrong reasons. It has elevated the worst people and their ignorant ideas and wealth up on a pedistal built on the misery of the drug industry.

Glorifying the social abuses that paid for these monsters and morons and comparing what they do with music is insulting to me and anyone that can tell the difference.
Iggy Azalea and Macklemore are not black. And even if they were, just because a style of music originated from African American culture does not make it ugly.

It was the proceeds from drug sales in LA and Compton in the Crips and Bloods gangs that spawned the spread of that "industry" across the country and paid for the infusion of that style of recordings into the music and entertainment sector.

I know a lot about how freebase cocaine became popular in the entertainment industry and where it came from in a movie set in Mexico ..to Seattle and then on to South Florida..up the Esat Coast ..and back to Southern California.

I hate to admit it but I was somewhat personally responsible for how it became popular in South Florida.

It most certainly was not a Black thing at first. Freebasing was a white thing in the early days. It became a Black gang based drug later in "crack" form because it was simply easier to physically handle than cocaine powder and also very addictive. Crack can be cut with a number of cheap methods and used on the street and not being water soluable lent itself to street sales. The fact that one can hold a crack rock in one's hand and cannot hold the same amount of cocaine hydochloride in one's hand or mouth is mainly why it became so popular in gang controlled streets of some cities.

The sales of the crack brought huge profits into the gangs and some of that money paid for the recording of the first rap with a ready made audience of criminals promoting that lifestyle.

You cannot say that a tiny wealthy criminal element as a representative was or is responsible as "Black" for the birth of rap. It was simply a "hobby" of wealthy criminals with a lot of extra money to spend on recording and promotion. I certainly was not indigenous to any race.

Its clear you did too much crack. What does crack have to do with Rap? Rap was out long before crack became big. Rap started on the east coast not in LA. Actually it started even before that but the generally accepted start for mainstream Rap was in 1979.

Rapper s Delight - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The song is ranked #251 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Timeand #2 on both About.com's and VH1's 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs. It is also included in NPR's list of the 100 most important American musical works of the 20th century. The song was also named as the Greatest Really Long Rock Song of all time by Digital Dream Door.[1] It was preserved into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress in 2011, calling it "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Here's an alternative that makes a little more sense by still recognizing Columbus.

Minneapolis to mark Indigenous Peoples Day as alternative to Columbus
Minneapolis city council voted to celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day but said the city would still recognize Columbus

Minneapolis will recognize Indigenous Peoples Day at the same time as Columbus Day from this year forward, the city council voted unanimously on Friday, becoming the first city in the state to officially name a counter-celebration to the controversial holiday.
“The City of Minneapolis recognizes the annexation of Dakota homelands for the building of our city, and knows Indigenous nations have lived upon this land since time immemorial,” the city council resolution read.
“Therefore, be it resolved by the city council that the city of Minneapolis shall recognize Indigenous Peoples Day on the second Monday in October.”
For indigenous activists, the recognition has been a long time coming.
“For me, it’s been almost 50 years that we’ve been talking about this pirate,” Clyde Bellecourt, a civil rights organizer, said in reference to Columbus.
The resolution said that the federal government, state government and city government will still recognize Columbus Day but will also celebrate Indigenous People’s Day on the same day.
The idea of replacing Columbus Day with an indigenous-centered holiday was first proposed in 1977 by a delegation of native nations to the United Nations, the resolution said.
In 1990, representatives from 120 Indigenous nations at the U.N.’s First Continental Conference on 500 years of Indian Resistance unanimously passed a resolution to transform the holiday.
Minneapolis’ city council proclaimed 2013 to be “The Year of the Dakota: Remembering, Honoring and Truth Telling” after decades of American Indian activism.
Indigenous Peoples Day began in Berkeley, California and Denver, Colorado in 1992, according to the online publication Latin Times.
Though Christopher Columbus is often credited with the finding of the so-called New World, many indigenous activists say such a discovery is impossible, given that people had already been living there.
In 1492, Columbus arrived in what is now Haiti and the Dominican Republic — the explorer never landed on the continental United States. He enslaved and exterminated the native Taino population he found on the island.
Columbus' policies reduced Taino numbers from as many as 8 million to 3 million by 1496. By the 1514 Spanish census, only 22,000 natives were still alive. In 1542, only 200. Afterward, they were considered to have disappeared completely.
“I see this as a very small piece of the much larger healing that has to happen in our country so that we can be whole again,” Minneapolis city council member Cam Gordon said according to local news.

Minneapolis to mark Indigenous Peoples Day as alternative to Columbus Al Jazeera America

As I currently live in Minneapolis and moved here from Seattle, I don't disagree with either city's move to honor indigenous Americans, North America's very first society. I also don't understand a certain element's crude remarks that are laced with ignorance and racism. These people seem to a respect only Caucasians. What would Jesus think? People seem to forget or unaware that the people mentioned in the Bible were brown/light brown skinned.
However, I'm surprised that neither Seattle or Minneapolis didn't set up celebrations/close schools and government for October 9th, which was Leif Erikson Day. After all. Leif Erikson was the very first European to set foot on North America. Both cites have large sized Scandinavian populations, it just makes sense for those two cities to honor the man and honor their Scandinavian population.
Below is a statue of the man who really discovered America.

Attachments

• images.jpg-Leif Erikson.jpg
    images.jpg-Leif Erikson.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Its clear you did too much crack. What does crack have to do with Rap? Rap was out long before crack became big. Rap started on the east coast not in LA. Actually it started even before that but the generally accepted start for mainstream Rap was in 1979.

The song is ranked #251 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Timeand #2 on both About.com's and VH1's 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs. It is also included in NPR's list of the 100 most important American musical works of the 20th century. The song was also named as the Greatest Really Long Rock Song of all time by Digital Dream Door.[1] It was preserved into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress in 2011, calling it "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

True.
And who can forget the first successful Caucasian Rap song?

Thankyou for the establishment of the "rap" timeline. I am more familiar with the freebase timeline that was the precursor to crack. I already admitted how it got to Florida and the East coast in the first place.

Yes, truth be told I wasted a lot of money and probably an extra brain cell or two coming up with better(more effective) ways to freebase cocaine and passed on this knowledge to my "friends" in Seattle music and media with connections to the L A music/media people.

The first use of freebase Cocaine was at a movie set in Mexico by a chemist brought in to make the movie production more interesting and endurable. This was in late 1972. I had a business partner, half ownership, in a car repair company that was an early smuggler of Peruvian and Bolivian cocaine in 1973. I was exposed to large amounts of the uncut drug as an observer at that time with an interest in experimenting with it's potential in personal recreational use. In 1973 Rolling Stone magazine had a small article covering the use of smokable "coke" describing the Mexico movie production. A year later I sold my interest in the repair shop, moved to Fort Lauderdale and learned to fly airplanes with the intent to smuggle pot and coke from South America.

I was flying across the country commercially and supplying pot and coke to Boston, N Y, Chicago, Boulder, Denver and Seattle with some of my party favors going South to L A.

This was still several years before your rap timeline. My customers and circle of connections included some of the the biggies in sports and music and entertainment.

The key to my point is that the freebase I developed was a completely different drug than the crack on the street we see today BUT the one characteristic that still holds true is that it was and IS not water soluable. The one main problem, besides the obvious one that it consumes ALL of your money, is that freebasing requires too much glassware and heating equipment for it's use. Crack is smoked with a simple cheap glass or metal tube or pipe.

The market for freebase was well established in rich white America and the music industry several years before the black gangs became interested in it as the cheaper crack form. Once they took MY reinvention of cocaine use and promoted it the money started rolling in and the ready made "in" to the rock music industry, especially in L A and South Florida, they promoted the financing of rap through the sales receipts and freebase drug users that found replacement in the crack.

Blacks didn't invent the crack/freebase which did pay for the promotion and early production of the the early rap glorifying the gangster/drug dealer lifestyle. Without crack sales money and freebasing music production people already thoroughly addicted to using freebase cocaine I contend that rap would have never happened.

Last edited:

True.

:rofl::rofl:

Rap - the one and only thing invented by blacks. While whites were inventing computers and spaceships.

another dodge..

say
another dodge..

So just out of curiosity, why would you deny research findings from a credible government agency as the CDC ? You realize this jeopardizes your own credibility, right ?
I'm not denying their findings just your understanding of them..
my own credibility?:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

True.
too bad it sucked a failed experiment..

Rap - the one and only thing invented by blacks. While whites were inventing computers and spaceships.
bullshit..
Frederick McKinley Jones
(1892-1961) Jones was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. An experienced mechanic, he invented a self-starting gas engine and a series of devices for movie projectors. More importantly, he invented the first automatic refrigeration system for long-haul trucks (1935). Jones was awarded more than 40 patents in the field of refrigeration.
Patricia Bath
inventor
Born: November 4, 1942
Birthplace: Harlem, New York
Best Known as: African-American scientist and inventor
Born in Harlem, New York, Bath holds a bachelor's degree from Hunter College and an M.D. from Howard University. She is dedicated to the treatment and prevention of blindness and is a co-founder of the American Institute for the Prevention of Blindness. Bath is the first African American woman doctor to receive a patent for a medical invention. She is best known for her invention of the Laserphaco Probe for the treatment of cataracts
#264 Mar 9, 2009
Granville T. Woods
(1856-1910) Woods was born in Columbus, Ohio, and later settled in Cincinnati. Largely self-educated, he was awarded more than 60 patents. One of his most important inventions was a telegraph that allowed moving trains to communicate with other trains and train stations, thus improving railway efficiency and safety.
Granville T. Woods
(1856-1910) Woods was born in Columbus, Ohio, and later settled in Cincinnati. Largely self-educated, he was awarded more than 60 patents. One of his most important inventions was a telegraph that allowed moving trains to communicate with other trains and train stations, thus improving railway efficiency and safety.
Ragtime (alternately spelled Ragged-time) is an originally American musical genre which enjoyed its peak popularity between 1897 and 1918. Ragtime was the first truly American musical genre, predating jazz.[1] It began as dance music in the red-light districts of American cities such as St. Louis and New Orleans years before being published as popular sheet music for piano.[2][3] It was a modification of the march made popular by John Philip Sousa, with additional polyrhythms coming from African music.[4] The ragtime composer Scott Joplin became famous through the publication in 1899 of the "Maple Leaf Rag" and a string of ragtime hits that followed, although he was later forgotten by all but a small, dedicated community of ragtime aficionados until the major ragtime revival in the early 1970s.[5][6] For at least 12 years after its publication, the "Maple Leaf Rag" heavily influenced subsequent ragtime composers with its melody lines, harmonic progressions or metric patterns.[7]
George Edward Alcorn, Jr.

George Edward Alcorn, Jr. received a four-year academic scholarship to Occidental College in Los Angeles, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Physics. George Edward Alcorn received his degree with honors while earning eight letters in basketball and football. George Edward Alcorn earned a Master of Science in Nuclear Physics in 1963 from Howard University, after nine months of study. During the summers of 1962 and 1963, George Alcorn worked as a research engineer for the Space Division of North America Rockwell. He was involved with the computer analysis of launch trajectories and orbital mechanics for Rockwell missiles, including the Titan I and II, Saturn IV, and the Nova.

Right - Patent Number 4,618,380 - Method of fabricating an imaging X-ray spectrometer

In 1967, George Edward Alcorn earned a Ph.D. in Atomic and Molecular Physics from Howard University. Between 1965-67 Alcorn conducted research on negative ion formation under a NASA-sponsored grant. Dr. George Edward Alcorn holds eight patents in the United States and Europe on semiconductor technology, one of which is a method of fabricating an imaging X-ray spectrometer. His area of research includes: adaptation of chemical ionization mass spectrometers for the detection of amino acids and development of other experimental methods for planetary life detection; classified research involved with missile reentry and missile defense; design and building of space instrumentation, atmospheric contaminant sensors, magnetic mass spectrometers, mass analyzers; and development of new concepts of magnet design and the invention of a new type of x-ray spectrometer.and limbs.
Dr. James E. West
Electret Microphone Inventor

Ninety percent of microphones used today are based on the ingenuity of James Edward West, an African-American inventor born in 1931 in Prince Edwards County, VA. If you’ve ever talked on the telephone, you’ve probably used his invention.

Dr. James E. West and a colleague, Gerhard Sessler, developed the mic (officially known as the Electroacoustic Transducer Electret Microphone) while with Bell Laboratories, and they received a patent for it in 1962. The acoustical technologies employed became widely used for many reasons including high performance, acoustical accuracy and reliability. It is also small, lightweight and cost effective.

#
Otis Boykin
Invented an improved electrical resistor

Few inventors have had the lasting impact of Otis Boykin. Look around the house today and you'll see a variety of devices that utilize components made by Boykin – including computers, radios and TV sets. Boykin's inventions are all the more impressive when one considers he was an African American in a time of segregation and the field of electronics was not as well-established as it is today.

Though he attended the Illinois Institute of Technology for a time, Otis Boykin never made it to graduation because he couldn't afford tuition. Instead, Boykin went to work as an inventor. He received his first patent in 1959 for a wire resistor that allowed a precise amount of electricity to flow to a component. Two year later, he created an even better resistor that could be manufactured inexpensively and withstand extreme temperature changes and shock. A low-cost product that was more reliable, the invention brought Otis Boykin to the forefront of American electronics.

Consumer electronics manufacturers, the United States military and IBM all placed orders for the resistor. It would come to be used in household appliances, computers and guided missiles – and is still used in many of those devices to this very day. But, perhaps most importantly, a version of his resistor was used in the invention of the pacemaker. That device, which keeps the heart beating regularly through electronic pulses, has helped to extend the lives of hundreds of thousands of individuals.

And Otis Boykin's accomplishments didn't stop there. He continued to invent throughout the duration of his life (which ended in 1982), working as a consultant for firms in America and Europe. All in all, he earned 11 patents and invented 28 different electronic devices. Some of his lesser known inventions include a burglar-proof cash register and a chemical air filter – both of which were never produced.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Celebrate the contributions of indians?? HAHAHA. Before the white man came, no indian tribe even had a written language. They were stone age people and they still would be except the white man takes care of them.

Columbus Day will now be Indigenous Peoples Day in Seattle Fox News

oct 6 2014
SEATTLE – The Seattle City Council is replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples' Day in the city.

The resolution that passed unanimously Monday celebrates the contributions and culture of Native Americans and the indigenous community in Seattle on the second Monday in October, the same day as the federally recognized Columbus Day.

Tribal members and other supporters say the move recognizes the rich history of people who have inhabited the area for centuries.

"This action will allow us to bring into current present day our valuable and rich history, and it's there for future generations to learn," said Fawn Sharp, president of the Quinault Indian Nation on the Olympic Peninsula, who is also president of the Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians.

"Nobody discovered Seattle, Washington," she said to a round of applause.
you people going to let shootspeeders get away w/ this tinydancer Katzndogz ?

The foundation of modern day rap was laid by singing poets in Africa and the Caribbean. The hip-hop style we know as rap today very much originated within African American culture and was in part inspired by those singing poets. I am not sure why you are taking offense to this reality, or even disputing it.

The foundation of modern day rap was laid by singing poets in Africa and the Caribbean. The hip-hop style we know as rap today very much originated within African American culture and was in part inspired by those singing poets. I am not sure why you are taking offense to this reality, or even disputing it.
White guys like him are very insecure. They know they have done nothing without Blacks or other cultures to aid them.

I'm not disputing the absolute origin of "singing poets"...you claim is the origin of rap or hip hop.

I am just bringing up the truth I know of how the drug sales culture promoted their brand of entertainment to popularity.

The real truth is that there is no such thing as original music anyway. For all you or I know goat herders in Ancient Greece could have sang in a style that looked and sounded like rap music.

Don't get your panties in a twist attempting to defend the "singing poets".

The brand I am referring to are the ones that promoted and bragged about how drug sales and organized crime leads to fame and fortune.
This thread is about the contributions of race originating in the contributions of the Native Americans and there was a reference to blacks and rap. My argument was that "blacks" didn't contribute rap.. criminals did.

The thread isn't about where rap came from. It doesn't matter. Not in this context anyway. It wasn't promoted by typical Black Americans. It was promoted to popularity by drug money by people that happened to be Black.. THAT is my only point.

I'm not disputing the absolute origin of "singing poets"...you claim is the origin of rap or hip hop.

I am just bringing up the truth I know of how the drug sales culture promoted their brand of entertainment to popularity.

The real truth is that there is no such thing as original music anyway. For all you or I know goat herders in Ancient Greece could have sang in a style that looked and sounded like rap music.

Don't get your panties in a twist attempting to defend the "singing poets".

The brand I am referring to are the ones that promoted and bragged about how drug sales and organized crime leads to fame and fortune.
This thread is about the contributions of race originating in the contributions of the Native Americans and there was a reference to blacks and rap. My argument was that "blacks" didn't contribute rap.. criminals did.

The thread isn't about where rap came from. It doesn't matter. Not in this context anyway. It wasn't promoted by typical Black Americans. It was promoted to popularity by drug money by people that happened to be Black.. THAT is my only point.
You have no point because you are wrong.

Forum List

Back