Sea level rise of 1 meter within 100 years

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
I laughed so hard I just about pee'ed myself when I saw the abstract to this paper

11594_web.jpg

Caption: The curve shows the sea level from the year 200 to the year 2100. The future rise in sea level of 1 m is calculated from global warming of 3 degrees in this century. The dotted line indicates the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's prediction. The blue shade indicates the calculations' degree of uncertainty.

Credit: Aslak Grinsted, Niels Bohr Institutet

Usage Restrictions: Credit: Aslak Grinsted, Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen

the Medieval Warm Period lives again! doesnt the first part of the graph look just like the 1990 IPCC chart of past temps? of course the second part is ridiculous, but you have to take the good with the bad. I dont see the 2000-2011 flattening of sea level rise in the graph but we're all sure that the one meter rise will happen real soon now. right?

I'm guess I've never discovered that "missing slice" graph feature in Excel.. Real convienient if the transistion between your future projection and historical reality is too comical to plot.. Probably in MathCad huh?

I laughed so hard I just about pee'ed myself when I saw the abstract to this paper

11594_web.jpg

Caption: The curve shows the sea level from the year 200 to the year 2100. The future rise in sea level of 1 m is calculated from global warming of 3 degrees in this century. The dotted line indicates the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's prediction. The blue shade indicates the calculations' degree of uncertainty.

Usage Restrictions: Credit: Aslak Grinsted, Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen

the Medieval Warm Period lives again! doesnt the first part of the graph look just like the 1990 IPCC chart of past temps? of course the second part is ridiculous, but you have to take the good with the bad. I dont see the 2000-2011 flattening of sea level rise in the graph but we're all sure that the one meter rise will happen real soon now. right?

bump for Matthew

11594_web.jpg

bump for Matthew

This paper shows that the mid evil was .2 meters or 7.2 inches higher then today...Thanks for the ocean level data supporting a warmer med evil warm period. Then these people show a huge rise from today to 2100. I was looking at the current chart and I'd see no reason to believe we're rising more then 2.5mm/year right now. We will have to see another year or so to say anything about the past year as that is kind of interesting.

All the sea ice sitting in the oceans could melt tomorrow and wouldn't add a single fucking mm to the ocean level, but we must watch green land and the antarctic.

I'd say the ipcc has a match better handle on it then this paper.

Last edited:
satellite data, espcially grace type data, is dependant on what it is calabrated to. most of the sea level rise is centred in areas of major volcanic activity/seismic activity like the Papau New guinea area. I would like to see more transparency in which tidal gauges satellite altimetry is calibrated to. and less adjustments for GIA which is already taken into account at the tidal gauges

Forum List

Back