SCOTUS Will Hear Affirmative Action Case

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Should be an interesting term:

The Volokh Conspiracy - -

[Ilya Somin, January 10, 2009 at 6:22am] Trackbacks
Supreme Court Decides to Hear Important Affirmative Action Case: Yesterday, the Supreme Court agreed to hear an important affirmative action case, Ricci v. DeStefano. The case involves a challenge to an affirmative action policy in the New Haven Fire Department. Specifically, the Department decided to set aside the results of a promotion test for firefighters when it turned out that what it viewed an insufficient number of African-American firefighters would be promoted if the results were allowed to stand....

I have this vague impression the the GOP isn't going to change and adapt for 21st century electoral success.

That their core message will continue to be that black men are stealing our jobs and our white women; that brown hispanics are invading the country; that stem cell research is morally evil; and that creationism should be taught alongside public school science.

:clap2::clap2:

I have this vague impression the the GOP isn't going to change and adapt for 21st century electoral success.

That their core message will continue to be that black men are stealing our jobs and our white women; that brown hispanics are invading the country; that stem cell research is morally evil; and that creationism should be taught alongside public school science.

Yeah heaven forbid people want equality. What a horrible goal for society!

And you do realize that the only administration that has supported Stem cell research is a Republican administration? You know the Bush administration you hate so much. It's soooooo morally evil.

You know what I hate? I hate when people purposely cloud the facts to mislead others.

Did we read the same article? The test was designed to show who was to be promoted. And when the results did not have enough black people, based on some internal quota, they set aside the test. THAT is discrimination. Everyone that qualified for promotion was discriminated cause thier skin color wasn't the right one.

Now if this had said that Not enough White people had been selected, you would be screaming bloody murder about racism.

I'm quite uninformed about this case, but the article definitely suggests that this was a quota - if the court follows precedent, this system will be struck down. With the current composition of the SCOTUS, I'd bet this system gets struck down.

Affirmative Action should be scrapped. It lowers standards and discriminates against more qualified individuals. Poo-poo about racism all you want, but if minority groups can't make the cut, then maybe they should try harder next time.

Did we read the same article? The test was designed to show who was to be promoted. And when the results did not have enough black people, based on some internal quota, they set aside the test. THAT is discrimination. Everyone that qualified for promotion was discriminated cause thier skin color wasn't the right one.

Now if this had said that Not enough White people had been selected, you would be screaming bloody murder about racism.

My only question is, what was this "internal quota"? I mean if it's a really low number then I would raise questions.

A quota is a quota and not allowed. It does not matter if NO blacks passed the test. The Test was to determine who should get promoted and when it did not select an arbitrary number of the "right" kind of people it was scraped. Not because the test was flawed, but because not enough of the right color passed.

If we change that color to White you guys would be SCREAMING at the tops of your lungs about racism. But it is black so you make excuses.

A quota is a quota and not allowed. It does not matter if NO blacks passed the test. The Test was to determine who should get promoted and when it did not select an arbitrary number of the "right" kind of people it was scraped. Not because the test was flawed, but because not enough of the right color passed.

If we change that color to White you guys would be SCREAMING at the tops of your lungs about racism. But it is black so you make excuses.

If these people didn't get chosen because of race, then that is racism and is why Affirmative Action is needed. I don't like Affirmative Action and the way it works today. Because many times someone who is not a white male is simply chosen and they aren't qualified but chosen because of their skin color. It directly affects me when I'm applying to college and the workforce but I can see why it's needed.

Last edited:
If these people didn't get chosen because of race, then that is racism and is why Affirmative Action is needed. I don't like Affirmative Action and the way it works today. Because many times someone who is non-male white is simply chosen because they aren't qualified but only their skin color. It directly affects me when I'm applying to college and the workforce but I can see why it's needed.

And yet NOTHING suggests the test was racist at all. That is YOU trying to make excuses for the fact that not enough blacks passed for some arbitrary quota. IT is racism to deny those that did pass the promotion simply because they are not black.

And yet NOTHING suggests the test was racist at all. That is YOU trying to make excuses for the fact that not enough blacks passed for some arbitrary quota. IT is racism to deny those that did pass the promotion simply because they are not black.

Reread my post, I was making edits to it.

I'm not saying whether the test was racist or not. I'm simply stating fact and then my opinion on Affirmative Action.

I'm simply saying IT is racism to deny those that did pass the promotion simply because they are not white.

I'm not saying whether that happened or not, simply fact.

I hope affirmative action goes down in flame.

If you really think race doesn't matter then don't give one race special treatment. That's just stupid.

Forum List

Back