Scotland frees terminally ill Lockerbie bomber

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
EDINBURGH, Scotland – Scotland freed the terminally ill Lockerbie bomber on compassionate grounds Thursday, letting the Libyan go home to die despite American pleas to show no mercy for the man responsible for the 1988 attack that killed 270 people.

The White House declared it "deeply" regretted the Scottish decision as Abdel Baset al-Megrahi left prison and flew to Libya on an Airbus dispatched to Glasgow Airport.

Scotland's justice secretary said freeing the bomber was an expression of the Scottish people's humanity but U.S. family members of Lockerbie victims expressed outrage.

"I think it's appalling, disgusting and so sickening I can hardly find words to describe it," said Susan Cohen of Cape May Court House, New Jersey, whose 20-year-old daughter, Theodora, died in the attack. "This isn't about compassionate release. This is part of give-Gadhafi-what-he-wants-so-we-can-have-the-oil."

Some men outside the prison made obscene gestures as al-Megrahi's prison van drove by toward the airport.

Al-Megrahi, who had served only eight years of his life sentence, was recently given only months to live after being diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer.

Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said although al-Megrahi had not shown compassion to his victims — many of whom were American college students flying home to New York for Christmas — MacAskill was motivated by Scottish values to show mercy.

"Some hurts can never heal, some scars can never fade," MacAskill said. "Those who have been bereaved cannot be expected to forget, let alone forgive ... However, Mr. al-Megrahi now faces a sentence imposed by a higher power."

Al-Megrahi, now 57, was convicted in 2001 of taking part in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 on Dec. 21, 1988. He was sentenced to life in prison. The airliner exploded over Scotland and all 259 people aboard and 11 on the ground died when it crashed into the town of Lockerbie.

The former Libyan intelligence officer was sentenced to serve a minimum of 27 years in a Scottish prison for Britain's deadliest terrorist attack. But a 2007 review of his case found grounds for an appeal of his conviction, and many in Britain believe he is innocent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090820/...n_lockerbie_47

Why do many Britons believe he is innocent? Was there new evidence uncovered or any official misconduct attributed to the original panel of judges? Clearly appeals have been made on behalf of Abdel Baset al-Megrahi but has he ever condemned the cowardly act? Released on "compassionate grounds" is not the same as overturning a conviction. What of the compassion for the victims families? I bet you would not have to scratch real hard to find some business deal between a Libyan and British interests that was brokered on condition of this release. What a bluty deal that must be.

EDINBURGH, Scotland – Scotland freed the terminally ill Lockerbie bomber on compassionate grounds Thursday, letting the Libyan go home to die despite American pleas to show no mercy for the man responsible for the 1988 attack that killed 270 people.

The White House declared it "deeply" regretted the Scottish decision as Abdel Baset al-Megrahi left prison and flew to Libya on an Airbus dispatched to Glasgow Airport.

Scotland's justice secretary said freeing the bomber was an expression of the Scottish people's humanity but U.S. family members of Lockerbie victims expressed outrage.

"I think it's appalling, disgusting and so sickening I can hardly find words to describe it," said Susan Cohen of Cape May Court House, New Jersey, whose 20-year-old daughter, Theodora, died in the attack. "This isn't about compassionate release. This is part of give-Gadhafi-what-he-wants-so-we-can-have-the-oil."

Some men outside the prison made obscene gestures as al-Megrahi's prison van drove by toward the airport.

Al-Megrahi, who had served only eight years of his life sentence, was recently given only months to live after being diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer.

Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said although al-Megrahi had not shown compassion to his victims — many of whom were American college students flying home to New York for Christmas — MacAskill was motivated by Scottish values to show mercy.

"Some hurts can never heal, some scars can never fade," MacAskill said. "Those who have been bereaved cannot be expected to forget, let alone forgive ... However, Mr. al-Megrahi now faces a sentence imposed by a higher power."

Al-Megrahi, now 57, was convicted in 2001 of taking part in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 on Dec. 21, 1988. He was sentenced to life in prison. The airliner exploded over Scotland and all 259 people aboard and 11 on the ground died when it crashed into the town of Lockerbie.

The former Libyan intelligence officer was sentenced to serve a minimum of 27 years in a Scottish prison for Britain's deadliest terrorist attack. But a 2007 review of his case found grounds for an appeal of his conviction, and many in Britain believe he is innocent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090820/...n_lockerbie_47

You posted the article, what are your thoughts about it?

I am not so sure this guy is guilty.

Washington demanded that Libya turn over the people who committed the crime in order to resume normal relations and lift sanctions.

Libya came up with this man and a couple of others. The others were let go.

Many in the know call Lockerbie one of the greatest cover ups in modern history.

Just google Lockerbie Trial and there is a ton of information on the flaws with the case and conviction.

I am not so sure this guy is guilty.

Washington demanded that Libya turn over the people who committed the crime in order to resume normal relations and lift sanctions.

Libya came up with this man and a couple of others. The others were let go.

Many in the know call Lockerbie one of the greatest cover ups in modern history.

Just google Lockerbie Trial and there is a ton of information on the flaws with the case and conviction.

I read somewhere that they could have tried him in about 4 different jurisdictions, but chose Scotland because they were most likely to get an easier conviction there. Can't complain about Scotland's laws now...

His release seems to be a miscarriage of justice because nothing in Megrahi's record shows that he has accepted responsibility for the actions he was tried for and convicted of. His words and letters are not of a remorseful individual who has attempted to repay society but are instead the words of a self-professed martyr. While there could be a place for compassionate releases within a justice system, they must be based on the prisoner's record or else the interests of justice and the purpose for detaining prisoners is not served.

Jordan M.
American Principles Project

I am a well travelled American. Just got back from a European tour through Germany, Italy and France and in remembrance of the 65th anniversary of the Allied forces storming the beaches of Normandy. I took both of my sons and wife on that vacation and our next plans were the other half of our ancestral heritage to visit Scotland. I will not visit, I will participate in all boycots of British and Scottish goods and services and I will encourage everyone I know to do the same. My family will celebrate our 400th year on this continent next year. I obviously have nothing in common with those who would give aid and comfort to terrorists. You can do whatever you want in the future and so will I.

I am a well travelled American. Just got back from a European tour through Germany, Italy and France and in remembrance of the 65th anniversary of the Allied forces storming the beaches of Normandy. I took both of my sons and wife on that vacation and our next plans were the other half of our ancestral heritage to visit Scotland. I will not visit, I will participate in all boycots of British and Scottish goods and services and I will encourage everyone I know to do the same. My family will celebrate our 400th year on this continent next year. I obviously have nothing in common with those who would give aid and comfort to terrorists. You can do whatever you want in the future and so will I.

How clever of you! Punish the people of a country for the sins of a morally bankrupt government. But that's ignorant yanks like you all over, ain't it. Perhaps my country should fuckingwell boycott ALL Americans for the fact that George Bush was responsible for starting fucking wars that kill our countrymen! How fucking stupid would that be!!!!

Tell you what. Stay the fuck out of our country. We don't want ignorant twats like you soiling our shores.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back