Scotland blows away the competition – 106% of electricity needs from wind – joins select club

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Scotland blows away the competition – 106% of electricity needs from wind – joins select club

On Sunday, Scotland produced 106% of its electricity needs -over a 24 hour period – via wind farms. Scotland joins a select group of countries that have had peak moments (or days/months/forever) when their electricity needs comes from non-polluting renewable energy.Iceland runs completely on hydroelectric and geothermal, Costa Rica ran for 75 straight days in 2015, Portugal ran for four days, Denmark generated 140% of their demand, Germany broke 95% for a few moments and there are many other countries with wonderful clean energy achievements. With places like Hawaii aiming for 100%, Rhode Island building its first off shore wind farm and theUS Department of energy readying the mainland’s grid to be able to handle 100% – we will see reports like this proliferate in the future.

On a blustery Sunday with hurricane speed winds off the coast, and 60 mile per hour gusts in the highlands – Scotland produced enough electricity in a 24 hour period to meet 106% of the day’s needs. Turbines spread across the land and in the ocean surrounding Scotland provided 39,545 megawatt-hours (MWh) of electricity to the National Grid on Sunday while the country’s total power consumption for homes, business and industry was 37,202 MWh. Scotland’s goal of generating 50% of their annual electricity from renewables is on pace to happen a full year early. Scotland also has a goal of 100% renewable electricity by 2020, but it might only get to 87% per some reports. Still – 87% over the course of a year is a powerful value and will probably mean 100% will arrive before 2025.

Not bad ;) Scotland is showing the world that it can be done!

On Sunday, Scotland produced 106% of its electricity needs -over a 24 hour period – via wind farms. Scotland joins a select group of countries that have had peak moments (or days/months/forever) when their electricity needs comes from non-polluting renewable energy.Iceland runs completely on hydroelectric and geothermal, Costa Rica ran for 75 straight days in 2015, Portugal ran for four days, Denmark generated 140% of their demand, Germany broke 95% for a few moments and there are many other countries with wonderful clean energy achievements. With places like Hawaii aiming for 100%, Rhode Island building its first off shore wind farm and theUS Department of energy readying the mainland’s grid to be able to handle 100% – we will see reports like this proliferate in the future.

On a blustery Sunday with hurricane speed winds off the coast, and 60 mile per hour gusts in the highlands – Scotland produced enough electricity in a 24 hour period to meet 106% of the day’s needs. Turbines spread across the land and in the ocean surrounding Scotland provided 39,545 megawatt-hours (MWh) of electricity to the National Grid on Sunday while the country’s total power consumption for homes, business and industry was 37,202 MWh. Scotland’s goal of generating 50% of their annual electricity from renewables is on pace to happen a full year early. Scotland also has a goal of 100% renewable electricity by 2020, but it might only get to 87% per some reports. Still – 87% over the course of a year is a powerful value and will probably mean 100% will arrive before 2025.

Not bad ;) Scotland is showing the world that it can be done!

Of course, Scotland is the size of a postage stamp ...

Seeings how Scotland shares the same power grid as bloody old England, I wonder how they can peel off other forms of power generation, such as coal in favor of wind generation alone!

one day --LOL

the rest of the year a potential brown out

--LOL

good god man

that is really nothing to brag about

Seeings how Scotland shares the same power grid as bloody old England, I wonder how they can peel off other forms of power generation, such as coal in favor of wind generation alone!

I wonder how they can peel off other forms of power generation, such as coal in favor of wind generation alone!

They can't.

I wonder how they can peel off other forms of power generation, such as coal in favor of wind generation alone!

They can't.

That must be the short answer ;)

You should try to run your computer on strictly wind power.
I'm sure you'll suffer no damage when it's extra windy or when it's calm.
Modern electrical equipment loves fluctuating energy supplies.

They can't.

That must be the short answer ;)

You should try to run your computer on strictly wind power.
I'm sure you'll suffer no damage when it's extra windy or when it's calm.
Modern electrical equipment loves fluctuating energy supplies.

I agree with your short answer.

Forum List

Back