Tesla Powerwall in Australia: Electricity bill dives from $660 to $50

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

WHEN self-confessed nerd Nick Pfitzner became the first Australia resident to have a Tesla Powerwall installed, he expected to save some money when his electricity bill arrived.
However, he was shocked to discover just how efficient the highly anticipated home battery power storage unit had been.
After receiving his latest electricity bill in the post, Mr Pfitzner was pleased to see the amount to be paid was a mere $50.39 (Incl. GST).
Compare this to his previous bill for the same quarter last year and Mr Pfitzner was facing a bill totalling $660.77 (Incl. GST), which means his family had a saving more than 90 per cent.
“It’s an awesome feeling to see we are only paying an average of just $0.59 per day for our power usage,” he told news.com.au.
“I knew it would save me money, but I had never expected to see a saving that big.”
Each Powerwall has a 7 kWh energy storage capacity and works by using a solar panel to convert sunlight into electricity that charges the device.
“The inverter converts direct current electricity from solar panels, the grid and Powerwall into the alternating current used by your home’s lights, appliances and devices,” the website states.
It is nice to see Telsa fucking big corporate energy in the ass!

How big is his solar panel? And what is the overall cost of his storage bank?

Jimmy Carter was pushing solar energy. He put panels on the roof of the White House and Reagan removed them. If Carter's plan had been carried through I wonder where it would have gone by now.

In the US unit cost, inverter plus installation is around $7000, basically it's an ion battery backup system but it still isn't powerful enough to run energy hogs like air conditioners and driers. Solar panels can store collected energy in it but solar panels are typically much more efficient in the southwest where average sunshine is high and their ability to produce useful electricity is still limited requiring multiple large panels to help offset grid electrical usage not replace it. My house would require 54 solar panels to run 100% of my monthly usage based on my peak usage.
Doesn't mean it's not currently viable for some applications/individuals or that the technology and cost won't improve a few more years down the road, one simply must research whether it's a currently viable option for them or not.

WHEN self-confessed nerd Nick Pfitzner became the first Australia resident to have a Tesla Powerwall installed, he expected to save some money when his electricity bill arrived.
However, he was shocked to discover just how efficient the highly anticipated home battery power storage unit had been.
After receiving his latest electricity bill in the post, Mr Pfitzner was pleased to see the amount to be paid was a mere $50.39 (Incl. GST).
Compare this to his previous bill for the same quarter last year and Mr Pfitzner was facing a bill totalling $660.77 (Incl. GST), which means his family had a saving more than 90 per cent.
“It’s an awesome feeling to see we are only paying an average of just $0.59 per day for our power usage,” he told news.com.au.
“I knew it would save me money, but I had never expected to see a saving that big.”
Each Powerwall has a 7 kWh energy storage capacity and works by using a solar panel to convert sunlight into electricity that charges the device.
“The inverter converts direct current electricity from solar panels, the grid and Powerwall into the alternating current used by your home’s lights, appliances and devices,” the website states.

I find it strange that the oil and coal companies could have been the ones leading the way to new clean renewables and would now be in the position to dominate the new emerging markets for this energy which will soon be the entire human race as prices continue to drop precipitously for renewable energy types, but they chose the 'we're lazy and don't want to do any more work than sucking stuff out of the ground and getting paid for it' path.

They are dinosaurs now and will fade into history, bitching and screaming the whole way no doubt but even they know their days are numbered.

Tesla just invented the steamboat and all the makers of sails are complaining about losing their jobs. Capitalism is a bitch for the slow and the dead, id'n it.

There are many utilities using politics to fight the installation and use of solar and home batteries. They are operating on a losing plan. The utilities that will win, are those that regard the home solar as another generation source, and create a distributed grid to take advantage of it. The price of solar is at present far lower than was anticipated a decade ago, and is continuing to decline. In the meantime, Tesla is not alone in seeing the opportunities in the home batteries, and will have competition in the near future. A plus for us all.

There are many utilities using politics to fight the installation and use of solar and home batteries. They are operating on a losing plan. The utilities that will win, are those that regard the home solar as another generation source, and create a distributed grid to take advantage of it. The price of solar is at present far lower than was anticipated a decade ago, and is continuing to decline. In the meantime, Tesla is not alone in seeing the opportunities in the home batteries, and will have competition in the near future. A plus for us all.
There are also currently a few ways people can (sometimes substantially) reduce their energy costs, shading west and east windows with deciduous trees or even retractable awnings, heavy (insulated) lined curtains and draperies. In cold climes have at least R30 insulation in the attic and seal as many air leaks as possible, in the hotter southern climes tile floors do help keep rooms cooler, wall to wall carpeting traps heat.
At Fort Stanton where I currently do 1800s living histories the original buildings have 14" thick stone walls, 10 to 12' ceilings and double hung windows and high peaked gable roofs with wide overhanging eaves. During the summer the interior is usually 10 to 20 degrees cooler than the outside depending on how breezy it is and there is no air conditioning.
Since we're in the desert southwest it's relatively dry so evaporative cooling works well until the temps get above 95 degrees then the AC units get fired up as evaporative cooling typically only cools the house to around 10 degrees cooler than the outside air. The only other drawback to evaporative cooling is humidity levels, it works best as long as the relative humidity is below 35%, from July through August is the monsoon season down here often raising the humidity levels to 50% or more, it's also the hottest time of the year so unfortunately the AC gets used more often than not.

Oops, don't know what I was thinking with that last post when I stated gable roofs. Those are better in cold climes, hip roofs allow for a wide overhanging eave all around the structure providing more shade.
Also in wet hilly/mountainous regions with a natural source of constant flowing sufficient water and sufficient drop a properly designed Pelton turbine (micro hydraulic generator) can produce enough electricity to fully power a house year round.

15k for the Tesla Powerwall, plus another 25k for the solar panels! 40k investment for a 60.00 a month electric bill? No mention of the subsidies either. Traditional power companies love these things. You have to build them with heavy industry, where power companies make their profit.

What a fucked up liar you continue to be, Ms Elektra. The cost for the 10 kw/hr battery is $3500.

Tesla Starts Off 2016 By Producing & Delivering Powerwall

Tesla is off to an early start in 2016, thanks to its Powerwall battery energy storage system. Tesla global communications director Khobi Brooklyn recently stated that Tesla Powerwalls were already being made and shipped.

Last year, Tesla launched its anticipated product to discuss one of the major questions with regards to solar energy: storage. Tesla’s Powerwall comes in two models: 7 kWh and 10 kWh. Both systems target residential homeowners, to store extra solar electricity or for backup/electricity security. Tesla’s utility-scale energy storage product can be much bigger, of course. It’s geared for businesses that are looking to store large backup amounts of solar electricity or wind electricity, or simply electricity.

The cost for Tesla’s 7kWh Powerwall is $3,000, while the 10kWh one is $3500.

Math doesn't work out. If that's a MONTHLY bill, at 7KWhr of storage, that $3.5 a day or $105 a month even if the electricity he had to buy at night was priced at $0.50/KWhr.. This is not believable at all.

At $0.25/KWhr -- in the US -- that toxic battery box would take 14000 KWhr or 1400 nights to "pay" for itself. IF you're solar installation is sized at about 2.5 times what you need during the day. !!!!!

Problem with Greenies is that they lie and suck at math..

What a fucked up liar you continue to be, Ms Elektra. The cost for the 10 kw/hr battery is $3500.

My source is the source that Matthew gave for this thread. If am a, "fucked up liar", then this is entire thread is a "fucked up lie". If this thread is a fucked up lie, your pro-renewable energy position is fucked up position.

Old Crock, you are simply fucked up, it is as easy as PIE to prove why (pie is an old joke between me and crock). Matthew's link states the price of just the Powerwall at $14k, I quote the article and Old Crock is pissed at me? Now that is simply fucked up in the head.

Good job Old Crock, I agree, the Tesla Powerwall is a fucked up lie.

The payback time is very long, 6-7 years, again according to the article, which is using peak electrical rates for the calculation. Obviously, for over half the year Australians are not charged the peak rate, but who cares for this simple arguement.

What this bill shows us about Tesla’s Powerwall

“If the Pfitzner family keeps their energy consumption the same, they should expect to see a complete payback period of between six or seven years,” he said.

Funny thing is, there is no guarantee that the Tesla Powerwall will last 6-7 years. There is an implied guarantee that lithium batteries do degrade significantly over time. Every 6-7 years at the least, you will scrap this battery. More if you use it more, like to power your home.

The stated price for a 10 kw/hr Tesla battery for the US is $3500. Why it costs that much in Australia, I don't know. And you can put up to 9 of the batteries together to give one 90 kw/hr storage. With a 5 kw to 10 kw solar array, this is enough to power a home independent of the grid. And, as with everything else associated with home power, the prices will come down significantly as there are other companies developing home power systems as we post.

Funny thing is, there is no guarantee that the Tesla Powerwall will last 6-7 years. There is an implied guarantee that lithium batteries do degrade significantly over time. Every 6-7 years at the least, you will scrap this battery. More if you use it more, like to power your home.
Once again, you pull numbers out of your ass, and they stink.

read:Tesla's Powerwall by the Numbers > ENGINEERING.com

If a person spent $3500 on the Powerwall and another $1500 on the inverter, it would take ten years (simple payback) for the unit to pay for itself. Since it has a 10 year warranty (and so do most inverters), it’s a break even situation at best.

Forum List

Back