School to Prison Pipeline

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Jul 27, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,746
    Secretary Duncan, Attorney General Holder Announce Effort to Respond to School-to-Prison Pipeline by Supporting Good Discipline Practices | U.S. Department of Education

Feds dictating detentions? Eliminating suspensions and expulsions? Oh brother...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Si modo

Si modo Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,762
    Damn. Anyone who couldn't predict the effects of the Feds' grimy fingers was blind.

3. chanel

chanel Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,746
    From a practical standpoint I'm thinking about the paperwork. And the inevitable lawsuits that will result from incomplete paperwork.

Then of course, there's that safety issue.

Anyone who actually thinks that school reform is about saving kids, has their head up their butt. It's about saving the PUBLIC from those kids from 7-3.

4. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Duh! I thought it was the parents responsibility to teach discipline to kids. I guess the American family is a failure too.

5. chanel

chanel Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,746
    In some families zzzzz.

Discipline comes from the Latin root "disciplus" which means to teach. There can be no learning in an undisciplined environment. See inner city test scores.

6. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +419
    True but kids are what 6 years old when they get to class and they should have fundamental discipline already instilled in them. Respect for others among them. But the deterioration of discipline can be linked I think, to the abolition of swift and just punishment. All it appears they do now is suspend and kicked kids out of school. That should be a last resort. Do you think many of these kinds mind getting kicked out of school? They see it as a vacation or free time. It also allows them to be corrupted by the street because instead of being in a structured environment (semi structured in some) they are loose on the streets and hanging out with gang bangers and drug dealers. It is an environment of failure because the other kids see these kids making money, getting high while they are in school and they think "why am I here?" IT will be hard to change this environment, maybe impossible, but we cannot afford to not try.

7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    Leave it to the libs to dream up another bureaucracy in the middle of a debt crisis.

8. chanel

chanel Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,746
    I don't know about other states, but NJ outlawed expulsion several years ago. Juvenile deliquents are now "court ordered" to attend school. They need not follow rules or pass their classes. They just have to show up so they are not "running the streets". You can only imagine what energy and resources are expended dealing with kids who have zero respect for anyone. Suspension is all we have left. At least it gives teachers and classmates a few days to instruction. The day a kid lays a hand on me or tells me to suck his dick and is sent back to class is the day I leave teaching. We have excellent disciplinarians. I shudder to think what will happen when the feds tie their hands.

9. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,749
    *shrugs* the battle for discipline in the public school system was lost long ago, ala Tinker and Goss vs Lopez..... the inmates run the asylum, now the feds want another bite at the apple? not...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  10. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    As the schools grow to be more Hispanic, I'm sure things will get much better