School Punishes Boy for Opposing Homosexuality

For those who don't see anything wrong with the kid getting punished for expressing his opinion . . .

If the teacher had been a KKK member, put up a pic of some hooded KKK members, threw positive comments out about the KKK in class and this kid turned around and told his classmate that he disapproved of the KKK because he thought it was wrong and subsequently got punished for saying such, what would your reaction be?

Mine would be exactly the same as it is for the kid expressing his disapproval of homosexuality. It isn't the subject matter that's the controversy here (well, it is on the teacher's end) but the fact that this kid got punished for expressing/voicing his opinion.

I'm having a difficult time with equating gays with the KKK.

Yes, it does sound like the teacher was too gay friendly since being gay friendly is forbidden in school. But it also sounds like the kid was disrespectful of his teacher. IMO, they are both in the wrong.

Oh stop with the bullshit . . . I'm not equating gays with the KKK and you know it.

The kid was punished for expressing his disagreement with the teacher on the topic of homosexuality. I still don't see where the kid was disrespectful I just see where he voiced his differing opinion and got punished for that.

For those who don't see anything wrong with the kid getting punished for expressing his opinion . . .

If the teacher had been a KKK member, put up a pic of some hooded KKK members, threw positive comments out about the KKK in class and this kid turned around and told his classmate that he disapproved of the KKK because he thought it was wrong and subsequently got punished for saying such, what would your reaction be?

Mine would be exactly the same as it is for the kid expressing his disapproval of homosexuality. It isn't the subject matter that's the controversy here (well, it is on the teacher's end) but the fact that this kid got punished for expressing/voicing his opinion.

Exactly! I was once punished for expressing the opinion that the teacher was a dimwitted fucking asshole. That was so unfair.

You should be yanked by your hair out of the classroom if you called the teacher a dimwitted fucking asshole.

If you expressed your disagreement on a particular topic you shouldn't be punished for it.

But he was a dimwitted fucking asshole, IMO. :eusa_eh:

Yes, it does sound like the teacher was too gay friendly since being gay friendly is forbidden in school. But it also sounds like the kid was disrespectful of his teacher. IMO, they are both in the wrong.

Oh stop with the bullshit . . . I'm not equating gays with the KKK and you know it.

The kid was punished for expressing his disagreement with the teacher on the topic of homosexuality. I still don't see where the kid was disrespectful I just see where he voiced his differing opinion and got punished for that.
:eusa_hand:

You should come up with a better analogy, then.

lol I noticed you didn't bother answering about the KKK example. Guess getting punished for that is ok cause the KKK is rotten. Too bad you're too stuck on the subject matter to see the bigger problem.

Why are so many people automatically taking this kid's word for it that he expressed his opinion in a respectful and non-disruptive manner? I know that if I made a crack about queers when I was in school, keeping it respectful would be the last thing on my mind. :lol:

lol I noticed you didn't bother answering about the KKK example. Guess getting punished for that is ok cause the KKK is rotten. Too bad you're too stuck on the subject matter to see the bigger problem.

You sure are het up today.

If a kid bad mouths his teacher he deserves to be punished. Your KKK example is beyond dopey.

If a student has a problem with the lesson plan there are options beyond bad mouthing, crying on national television, and filing a lawsuit.

Why are so many people automatically taking this kid's word for it that he expressed his opinion in a respectful and non-disruptive manner? I know that if I made a crack about queers when I was in school, keeping it respectful would be the last thing on my mind. :lol:

Because they fear the gay, prolly.

It cracks me up that the student is always right to some people.

If a kid bad mouths his teacher he deserves to be punished. Your KKK example is beyond dopey.

If a student has a problem with the lesson plan there are options beyond bad mouthing, crying on national television, and filing a lawsuit.

The article said he got punished for expressing a differing opinion of homosexuality not for bad mouthing the teacher. Two different things.

The KKK example is dopey? How's that? It doesn't belong in a 9th grade German class anymore than homosexuality does. Still no answer I see.

The student didn't have a problem with the lesson plan, he had a differing opinion on homosexuality, said as much to his friend and got suspended for expression his differing opinion. The teacher brought up the topic and the kid got punished because he didn't agree with the teacher. That's whack.

Except when he holds up a banner that says "bong hits for Jesus". :lol:

The article said he got punished for expressing a differing opinion of homosexuality not for bad mouthing the teacher. Two different things.

The KKK example is dopey? How's that? It doesn't belong in a 9th grade German class anymore than homosexuality does. Still no answer I see.

The student didn't have a problem with the lesson plan, he had a differing opinion on homosexuality, said as much to his friend and got suspended for expression his differing opinion. The teacher brought up the topic and the kid got punished because he didn't agree with the teacher. That's whack.

It's dopey because being gay is not anything remotely like being in the KKK.

You've only heard the student's side of the story.

The fact that he is on tv threatening a lawsuit for a punishment that was rescinded should clue you in to the fact that something is wrong with this story.

Except when he holds up a banner that says "bong hits for Jesus". :lol:

I used to have a t-shirt which read

"Jesus is coming, hide your bong."

:lol:

Putting aside the subject matter.

The kid disrupted the class. He turned around and made a comment that was heard.

When I was that age it wouldn't have mattered what the class was, if I had turned around and told the kid behind me anything, including a complementary comment such as "Sister Margret has inspired me to be a nun," I still would have been smacked with a ruler and sent to the office.

Teachers have absolutely NO authority to discipline anyone anymore.

It's dopey because being gay is not anything remotely like being in the KKK.

I never said it was, you're the one equating the two. Again. :rolleyes:

If the teacher bought up a pro-KKK discussion in a German classroom and the kid turned around to this friend and said he thought the KKK was wrong . . . would you be ok with him getting punished for disagreeing with the teacher?

You've only heard the student's side of the story.

Right because that's what the link provided. If more information is available post it.

The fact that he is on tv threatening a lawsuit for a punishment that was rescinded should clue you in to the fact that something is wrong with this story.

He should have never been punished for disagreeing with the teacher in the first place but because the topic was homosexuality, and the kid was Christian, he was. Based on the info provided in the link the teacher was wrong. The school won't even comment on the teacher bringing up the topic of homosexuality in the classroom. Mums the word. But they did tell the kid "Krause said school leaders told Dakota that in the future he should be careful when and where he talks about his opposition to homosexuality – suggesting that he talk about such matters in the hallway instead of the classroom." Give me a break. The kid shouldn't talk about it in the classroom but the teacher can bring it up and this is the school's reaction "The school district would not comment on why a teacher was discussing homosexuality in a ninth grade German class." :rolleyes:

The kid disrupted the class. He turned around and made a comment that was heard.

When I was that age it wouldn't have mattered what the class was, if I had turned around and told the kid behind me anything, including a complementary comment such as "Sister Margret has inspired me to be a nun," I still would have been smacked with a ruler and sent to the office.

You probably wouldn't have been suspended for three days. :thup:

You probably wouldn't have been suspended for three days. :thup:
Nah, I would have got paddled in the office and then my parents would have grounded me for a week.

See my post above yours.

I think a student should be punished for disrupting the class.

Again from the article there was a discussion going on and the subject of homosexuality in Germany came up. It doesn't sound like he disrupted the class it sounds like it was a class discussion and he said something quietly to his friend.

Real disruption ought to get punished.

Disrupting the class isn't what the threads about . . . the kid getting punished for disagreeing with his teacher's pov on homosexuality is.

See my post above yours.

Again from the article there was a discussion going on and the subject of homosexuality in Germany came up. It doesn't sound like he disrupted the class it sounds like it was a class discussion and he said something quietly to his friend.

Disrupting the class isn't what the threads about . . . the kid getting punished for disagreeing with his teacher's pov on homosexuality is.

Please....even talking quietly to your friends in class is something students are not supposed to do.

Nor are they supposed to disagree with the teacher during class time.

See my post above yours.

If this kid's version of what happened turns out to be unembellished and accurate, then I agree with you 100%. But I'm betting there is at least something to this story that he is leaving out.

The kid was well within his right to say what he did.

Doesn't mean he was right or wrong.

The school acted poorly, the teacher needs some management issues counseling.

Forum List

Back